Beautiful whistle playing in Lord of the Rings

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
DaveO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by DaveO »

Cherish the Ladies just did their first performances in Utah this month--one in Ogden and the other in Park City. They will be in Logan on the 12th of April next, performing in the Ellen Eccles Theatre.

Dave
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

<P>I'm sitting here jealous of both the people who have a) seen the movie, and b) seen CTL. I caught them live last summer in Fort Wayne, and the energy was just marvelous! People were enjoying the music, all kinds showed up to see them, there was none of the rock & roll personality BS up on stage, and best of all....

<P>Joannie was still doing an excellent Riverdance impression!

<P>~Firefly
BrianW

Post by BrianW »

Other than Solas being cancelled on September 13th, there have been quite a few great concert oportunities here in the Salt Lake area. The Celtic Festival, downtown Salt Lake City, in August was a blast. Check out the Peery Egyptian Theatre (Ogden) site on line for a schedule of upcoming events.
StevePower

Post by StevePower »

Don't want to move away too far from the original thread but...

I saw <b>Lunasa</b> in concert in Limerick about 3 weeks ago; and then spent a very pleasant 15 minutes chatting to Kevin Crawford - a very, nice guy and a great flute, Low whistle, and whistle player. Other members of the band also play whistle and Low whistle at a very high level, too.

If you get the chance to see Lunasa (Irish word for 'August') GO! I know they tour the states quite a lot.

Steve :smile:
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Doesn't "Lhunasa" more properly refer to the old Irish festival/holiday held at the beginning of August? Just curious.
/Bloomfield
StevePower

Post by StevePower »

Hi Bloomfield

Lunasa simply means August - the way I spelt it. Your spelling may have a different meaning, though. (It should have a fada (/) on the U, though, making it 'long').

Steve

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: StevePower on 2001-12-20 13:14 ]</font>
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

I've had the CD about 3 weeks now. The whistle passages are lovely but far too short. As for the player, the musicians were not individually credited.

I'm sure I'll love the movie. Since high school (about 36 years), I've read the Trilogy at lease six times.
Cinead

Post by Cinead »

I took my son to see LOTR yesterday. When I heard the opener, I asked him what type of instrument it was. He replied, "It sounds like an Irish whistle." At the end of the show, I made him promise to learn the Irish whistle.

I, too, was confused at who the musician might be. However, as stated before, the Cherish the Ladies web site claims Joanie is the player.

I e-mailed her and asked for some background information. I'll share it with the board if anything comes back.

The playing style did seem different from Joanie. It is probable that the writer/arranger was not Joanie and had some very specific ideas about the piece. And true, the whistle did not sound like her standard O'Riordan.

Haven't had much time to keep up with all of the other threads for over two months, but while I was at CTL's web site I found out that Joanie is working on her fourth album.

Merry Christmas
and HBJ
Ron Rowe

Post by Ron Rowe »

Just got back from seeing it, sat through damn near ten minutes of credits and they NEVER CREDITED the Whistle Player.
I wonder if the piece JM is supposed to have done for the second installment perhaps?
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Right. We sat through the credits, too,
and no mention of the whistle player.
I did think the whistle was an O'Riordan,
at least at the beginning and the end,
but the sound was echoed and manipulated
a lot.
recorder_whistler

Post by recorder_whistler »

Right that Joanie Madden recorded a piece for the cycle..but not the first episode, according to an email directly from the piper's pen, so to speak. So the mystery lives on...
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

Cool! I'm glad that there is a whistle in the movie(or in the beginning/end at least...) because that instrument just seemed to fit with the style/'age' of the books.

I can't wait to see it!
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë