Beautiful whistle playing in Lord of the Rings

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
CraigMc

Post by CraigMc »

Last night I watched the first public Showing of Lord of the Rings here in Washington and was pleasantly surprised (not really) to hear some great whistle playing at the end. Wonder who it was...sounded like Joadie Madden. As a fan of Tolkien I can't express how great I think this movie was and I'm planning on seeing it again. They ended the movie with a song from Enya. Get out and see it!
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Eldarion hated it. :smile:
/Bloomfield
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Yeah, there's a nice little tune on the whistle towards the beginning of the film. I'm about as sure as one can get that it wasn't Joannie. To my ear it didn't sound like her and it didn't sound like an O'Riordan. My best guess for a whistle is a Sindt - though I'm not completely sure. I was able to play along on my A whistle.
Chris
DaveO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by DaveO »

On the Cherish the Ladies website I read that Joanie Madden "just recorded an eight minute piece with the New Zealand Symphony for the December film release 'Lord of the Rings.'"
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Wow. Fair enough. I was definately wrong then. Cool. I didn't stick around for the credits. Was her whistle playing then?
Chris

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ChrisLaughlin on 2001-12-19 16:49 ]</font>
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Not sure. I guess you'll have to watch the movie again so you can scan the credits. :smile: By the way, I saw Cherish the Ladies in concert a couple weeks ago in Ogden, Utah, and they were marvelous.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

So Dave

WHY THE HECK DIDN'T YA TAKE ME??????!!!!!

That cinches it! Next session, you've got a half hour polka/reel solo to do bub!

I'll teach ya yet! LOL

B~
StevePower

Post by StevePower »

On 2001-12-19 15:46, ChrisLaughlin wrote:
Yeah, there's a nice little tune on the whistle towards the beginning of the film. I was able to play along on my A whistle.
Chris
Chris,

Did they let you play a whistle in the movie theatre? You'd be hung out to dry for so much as crackling a chips bag in a cinema over here! My, you certainly live in a progressive society!

Steve :smile:
CraigMc

Post by CraigMc »

At least a whistle would go with the movie,

A couple brought their baby in and during a very quit scene he went into a tirade! :mad:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CraigMc on 2001-12-19 19:21 ]</font>
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

On 2001-12-19 18:14, Brian Lee wrote:
So Dave

WHY THE HECK DIDN'T YA TAKE ME??????!!!!!

That cinches it! Next session, you've got a half hour polka/reel solo to do bub!

I'll teach ya yet! LOL

B~
Brian,

Um... well... How about going to the CTL concert in Logan this April? (Boy, I better learn a couple polkas....) :smile:

Dave
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

It's a DATE Dave! :smile: *BLUSH*

B~
tinwfun

Post by tinwfun »

Joanie Madden plays both whistle and flute. I have hard time to distinguish the music from whistle or from flute. In the Lord of the Rings, did she play whistle or flute? In general, how do I distinguish the music from flute or the music from whistle? Thanks.
CraigMc

Post by CraigMc »

I think you are comparing the low whistle and flute. The High whistle is of course higher and much brighter sounding than the lower pitched D flute. In the movie it's definately the high whistle with it's clear bright tone.

I distinguish between the Low Whistle and Flute by the tone and sound. The Irish flute sound is Characterized by a reedy sound. It's like you can almost hear and visualize the airstream being split, ripped or torn in half. The low whistle sounds to me more open and rounder tone. It's airy and hollow sounding.

Hope this helps.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CraigMc on 2001-12-19 23:05 ]</font>
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Yea, I just got back from seeing that movie. I don't know what Eldarion's problem was, I thought it was excellent. Of course, I've only read about 10 pages worth of "fellowship of the rings" so I can't really compare it to the book. Yea, the whistle music was beautiful. My mom was like "well when are you going to play me some stuff like that?"

Well, maybe in a million years or so... :wink:
Cees
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

I've been a fan of LOTR since I was about 10...so I'm pretty excited to see the movie. Glad to hear it's good!

I didn't know Cherish the Ladies did concerts in Utah! Could you guys who live here tell me more details, please? I would love to go!

Thanks and Merry Christmas!