Irish music versus German flute ?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
okverka
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by okverka »

As I live in a country where Kohert flutes has been made, (Graslitz is contemporary Kraslice in Czech Republic, the factory still works under different name), please could you advice in this: I would like to buy a (keyless) woodenflute suitable for Irish music. Sometimes there are old Austria style woodenflutes available at shops at quite low price (less then 200 USD). Would you recommend to buy such old instrument, or is it better to buy true Irish style keyless flute with big holes and nice sound? Would be buying an old Austria style flute a step in a wrong direction? Or is it quite acceptable (considerind the price difference, immediate availability, a chance to test the instrument before buying etc.)?
I already have an non-tunable Irish style bamboo flute, unfortunately it is a little bit out of tune, so I can play solo, but I am not welcome at sessions :eek:) So my main motivation is to have an tunable flute with nice "irish" sound including irish style ornamentation - are German style flutes good enough at Irish ornamentation?
Otakar Kverka
Prague
Bohemia, Europe
Try my web with some photos from my Ireland bike holiday and links to Irish music and dance in Czech Republic
http://irsko.unas.cz
nickb

Post by nickb »

The flutes you speak of should be fine for irish music, but be aware that the tuning of the flutes will probably be different from the flutes generally used in irish music. I have an old flute made in germany, sounds nice, easy to play, but it is half a semitone lower in tone than a modern flute.
claudine
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

Why not try the Seery? Good quality, good price, easily available, tuning slide, nice sound, easy to play, good intonation, no maintenance necessary ....