best low D please UK

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Pammy
antispam: No

best low D please UK

Post by Pammy »

I want to purchase a low D but would like recommendations as to where to go, how much to pay (price range) and what to look for please.
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: best low D please UK

Post by kkrell »

International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

Another vote for MK pro.

At least without knowing any preference, what whistles you've played, what you liked about them, what you didnt, etc. Mk's are just well rounded and are easy to like.
bruce.b
Tell us something.: I’m a whistle, fiddle and tenor guitar player. Mostly low D, mostly Irish trad, but I’ll try any fiddle tune on whistle.

Post by bruce.b »

MK Pro is my favorite, but Goldie whistles are wonderful too.If you’re new to playing MK will probably be easier for you.
Moof
Tell us something.: My motto: If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing badly. (Fortunately, as otherwise I'd never be allowed near a musical instrument.)

Post by Moof »

I love the MK Pro I've got on loan and will almost certainly buy one of my own, but I've only been playing a relatively short time and I'd have found it slightly hard going if it had been my first. It's also a bit on the pricy side (though it would retain an excellent resale value) if you're not yet sure whether low whistle is the right instrument for you.

If you are new to woodwind and want something that's good enough to learn on but easy to blow, I'd recommend Howard in Sheffield, who make brass whistles with a resin mouthpiece, or Goldfinch in Poland, who produce all-plastic whistles including a three-part option that's easy to carry around. As with MK, both can be ordered directly from the maker.

The MK is a high-end whistle and has a wider range of nuances, but I always reach for the Howard or Goldfinch when I'm learning something new. It still takes me a frustrating length of time to nail a tune that's played fast, so having something that needs less air is an advantage. Both whistles have a lovely sound of their own, too.

Good luck!
Tremendouz
Tell us something.: A low whistle player with more whistles than skill. Looking forward to improve... and acquire more whistles!

Post by Tremendouz »

I love my MK Pro. It's a very "robust" whistle that you can blow quite hard without accidentally jumping the octave, and the small holes are easy to seal. The sound is powerful, quite airy and has this almost dirty texture to it which makes it interesting.

However, the weight combined with the slippery surface is a quite large minus to me when it comes to comfort. I feel like I'm about to drop the whistle if I'm not careful and my hands get a little tired from holding the whistle when playing for a longer time.
The Danish Piper
Tell us something.: I am a original a piper and play the Highland Pipes and Scottish smallpipes and have done so for 17 years
About 1,5 years ago i took up the Low Whistle and really enjoy that as well.

Post by The Danish Piper »

I play a MK as well, and will recommend it.
As mentioned in another post, it is quite heavy.

My whistle does not have a slippery surface, but has a more 'feelable' texture, which is a good thing.

Regarding the weight. When I am playing my whistle, I perfer to sit down and rest the end of the whistle on my knee.
Doing so, I can play for a very long time, whitout getting to tired in my hands.
Playing music since 2006
Whistle and different sets of bagpipes.
Moof
Tell us something.: My motto: If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing badly. (Fortunately, as otherwise I'd never be allowed near a musical instrument.)

Post by Moof »

Tremendouz wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:58 pm However, the weight combined with the slippery surface is a quite large minus to me when it comes to comfort. I feel like I'm about to drop the whistle if I'm not careful and my hands get a little tired from holding the whistle when playing for a longer time.
A Monster Grip under each thumb makes a massive difference for me. They're round, self-adhesive silicone dots used as plectrum grips by guitarists; the adhesive doesn't seem to damage the surface of the whistle at all. The whistle even feels less heavy, because I'm no longer straining my hands to avoid dropping it all the time.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Pammy

I like MK whistles as well, Goldies are nice whistles, but for someone with thin fingers (like me) it is difficult to seal the holes.
I would go with the Dixon TB012D as an intro low D - it should cost around £80ish, much less than the MK or Goldie.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
sfmans
Tell us something.: I've been a whistle player for over 40 years now, which is a sobering thought. I got started on a battered old Generation D and, well, just never stopped really!

Current gigs are The Powderkegs border morris, the concert band Trebuchet with our music theatre show The Mill Ballads www.themillballads.com, and Welsh dance band Caffl.

Post by sfmans »

If you've got such extremely small hands that pipers grip doesn't work for you, you should look at the Susato whistles that can be customised for small hands.

For everyone else the low whistle to go for is a Goldie, nothing else comes close in expressiveness and sheer playability.