The daunting task

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
rick alan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi! I am a professional saxophonist/boehm flute player and I am taking on the task of learning Irish flute and possibly pipes in the future. Cheers..!

The daunting task

Post by rick alan »

Hello folks,

I've finally gotten my hands on a proper flute. I've begun my tone exercises with it, but I have to say: Any version of "E" (low, middle, high) is substantially less resonant for me than any of the other notes I'm playing. I know high E is a pain on the Boehm flute until you can get used to it, maybe that condition is parallel to both instruments?

Is this normally a note that is a little under-vented? Any tips/advice would be fantastic.. It's really the only note that's causing me a headache. I absolutely love the sound of the wood flute in all other respects.

Cheers..!
Jose' Scotte' Este'
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: The daunting task

Post by Jose' Scotte' Este' »

I hate to say it, but it could be your flute.... I never noticed the E note being different/particularly difficult to sound fully, except the high E on some of my low flutes...
"Luck is important"
Flutern
Tell us something.: I have a keen interest in wooden flutes (modern and antique), early music (Renaissance, Baroque), Romantic music and Irish Traditional Music of course! I also play the clarinet (my first instrument) and I've also started learning the cittern.

Post by Flutern »

It's not a bug, it's a feature :D

As you've probably noticed, hole #6, which vents E, is very small, which is why this note is weaker. Enlarging this hole would sharpen the pitch, so it would have to be moved down to compensate, and this in turn would make it difficult/impossible to reach. The same thing goes for A to a lesser extent. The Siccama flute was designed to address this very problem.

On a keyed flute, E has a stronger voice when it is vented with the Eb key. Modern keyed flutes, however, are usually designed to be played without venting, so E tends to be sharp when it is vented and might need to be lipped down.
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

Yep! Vintage flutes are designed to expect using the Eb key to open up the tone and volume of the E note. But even on modern flutes the E, and to a certain extent, the A note also suffers from volume, tone, tuning and/or sonority.

F-Nat key is often recommended to open up F#.

I would recommend learning to vent with the Eb key, although most ITM players accept things, and turn the foot joint away, which makes the E rolls so much snappier. With effort it's possible to hold down the Eb while doing the roll, but that effort isn't typical.
rick alan
Tell us something.: Hi! I am a professional saxophonist/boehm flute player and I am taking on the task of learning Irish flute and possibly pipes in the future. Cheers..!

Post by rick alan »

Thanks! Glad it’s not me.

I’m on a keyless, so venting that Eb isn’t going to be easy. ;)
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

rick alan wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:58 am Thanks! Glad it’s not me.

I’m on a keyless, so venting that Eb isn’t going to be easy. ;)
E being a weaker note is indeed fairly common.

While it's probably not an option for you within your short timeframe, Dave Copley does do retrofits, adding keys (I presume post-mounted) on request. Alternatively, he may be able to provide you with just a replacement foot joint with an Eb key.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
rick alan

Post by rick alan »

If it’s fairly common I’ll just get used to it. I play enough woodwinds to know there are quirks and compromises on EVERYTHING. ;) cheers.
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

Yeah, the E note has always had issues, and traverso flutes (baroque) usually had an Eb key for that reason, plus it permits the most difficult Eb/D# note.

WRT A, try using this fingering: XXO OXX, which provokes the high E harmonic and can improves the tonality of A. (It's usually not worth the extra effort, though.)
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

E is the stuffiest, most out of tune note on woodwinds in general.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Flutern
Tell us something.: I have a keen interest in wooden flutes (modern and antique), early music (Renaissance, Baroque), Romantic music and Irish Traditional Music of course! I also play the clarinet (my first instrument) and I've also started learning the cittern.

Post by Flutern »

oleorezinator wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:05 pm E is the stuffiest, most out of tune note on woodwinds in general.
Which woodwinds are you talking about? I can't think of a single E that's stuffy or badly out of tune on the clarinet. Throat notes, on the other hand... :swear:
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
Conical bore

Post by Conical bore »

oleorezinator wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:05 pm E is the stuffiest, most out of tune note on woodwinds in general.
Yes, but If you're mainly playing Irish trad dance tunes -- jigs and reels at full dance tempos, how often do you get a chance to hear that one slightly soft E note in the middle of a flurry of other notes?

I think that's the reason many of us who play keyed simple system flutes built on the 19th Century models don't bother venting the E even when we have an Eb key. I don't, because the note just isn't exposed for that long unless I'm playing a slow air, where I might vent it if it feels a little weak. At 112bpm (counted 2/2) for a reel with a continuous stream of 8th notes at dance tempo, who is going to hear it? :)
xabeba

Post by xabeba »

Isn't it common among Irish flute players to attack the E "cutting into" it from a D, precisely to address this problem? I don't know what name a "cut from below" has as an ornament, but that is what I mean.
chas

Post by chas »

Some makers definitely do a better job with the E note than others. I have two other somewhat conflicting points:

The player can compensate quite a bit for the veiled E note. It's usually much less (intrinsically) veiled than the cross-fingered notes on a baroque flute. Listen to a good baroque player, and you can hardly hear any difference in the timbre among the notes.

On the other (other?) hand, if we really really wanted all the notes to sound the same, we'd be playing Boehm flutes. Part of the allure of the simple-system flute is the each note is different -- it sounds different and needs to be played differently. There's much more of the player in the wooden flute than in the silver flute.

It's not a good or bad thing, but it's way different.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.