Recommended case

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
msupples
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the flute, uilleann pipes, highland pipes, whistles, and a few other things. [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Re: Recommended case

Post by msupples »

I keep my delrin flute in a cloth roll, as suggested above.

I keep both of my keyed wood flutes in these (I have one for each flute): https://mcneelamusic.com/wind/flutes/fl ... hard-case/

It has a substantial wall thickness and the quality is quite good. It is also sealed, so humidity can be maintained perfectly. I use the whistle slots in the top for tools (cloth, cork grease, hygrometer, and rolled up Boveda packs).
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

msupples wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:35 am I keep my delrin flute in a cloth roll, as suggested above.

I keep both of my keyed wood flutes in these (I have one for each flute): https://mcneelamusic.com/wind/flutes/fl ... hard-case/

It has a substantial wall thickness and the quality is quite good. It is also sealed, so humidity can be maintained perfectly. I use the whistle slots in the top for tools (cloth, cork grease, hygrometer, and rolled up Boveda packs).
This hard case perfectly fits the bill for what I’m after, as I wanted something hard due to the fact that I am often carrying multiple things when I’m coming in and out. I would use the whistle compartments, as well. It would be perfect for my lunch-break music kit. Thanks very much!

And thanks to everyone else who responded, as well!
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

I have a couple of what look to be those McNeela cases I bought on AliExpress. The two I have don't seal well at all. If I run them under a faucet whatever's inside gets very wet. I've tried a couple ways to seal them but no luck. The McNeela cases look to be exactly the same, but maybe not.

I bought a used Pelican laptop briefcase on Ebay that I converted to a flute case. I made a wooden frame with dividers that fit inside and then padded it. It serves as a humidor for the dry winter days and can also be a case, although it's oversized for most uses. High pretentiousness level. But I'm paranoid about cracking

Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

PB+J wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:39 am I have a couple of what look to be those McNeela cases I bought on AliExpress. The two I have don't seal well at all. If I run them under a faucet whatever's inside gets very wet. I've tried a couple ways to seal them but no luck. The McNeela cases look to be exactly the same, but maybe not.

I bought a used Pelican laptop briefcase on Ebay that I converted to a flute case. I made a wooden frame with dividers that fit inside and then padded it. It serves as a humidor for the dry winter days and can also be a case, although it's oversized for most uses. High pretentiousness level. But I'm paranoid about cracking

That doesn’t look like the interior of the McNeela cases at all, from what I’ve seen. If they are similar, then the similarities must be mainly external.

Also, this is for a delrin flute, humidity and moisture isn’t an issue. I mainly want a case just for low-profile transport and protecting from drops and whatnot.

Edit: Oops. I see the picture was of the second case you mentioned, not the first.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Sirchronique wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:07 am
PB+J wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:39 am I bought a used Pelican laptop briefcase on Ebay that I converted to a flute case. I made a wooden frame with dividers that fit inside and then padded it. It serves as a humidor for the dry winter days and can also be a case, although it's oversized for most uses. High pretentiousness level. But I'm paranoid about cracking
That doesn’t look like the interior of the McNeela cases at all, from what I’ve seen. If they are similar, then the similarities must be mainly external.
To clarify, PB+J's photo is of the Pelican laptop case conversion.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Sirchronique

Post by Sirchronique »

kkrell wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:11 am
Sirchronique wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:07 am
PB+J wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:39 am I bought a used Pelican laptop briefcase on Ebay that I converted to a flute case. I made a wooden frame with dividers that fit inside and then padded it. It serves as a humidor for the dry winter days and can also be a case, although it's oversized for most uses. High pretentiousness level. But I'm paranoid about cracking
To clarify, PB+J's photo is of the Pelican laptop case conversion.
Yep, I took notice of this and immediately edited my comment after posting. My mind isn’t awake yet. :lol:
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

I'm on the train to Philly right now and have my flute in pone of those mcneela style cases. I normally use a roll but as I mentioned, paranoid about humidity

I dd the same sort of conversion but it was less successful.

When I was in Ireland this summer I saw Mcneela cases all over the place
msupples
Tell us something.: I play the flute, uilleann pipes, highland pipes, whistles, and a few other things. [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Post by msupples »

PB+J wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:39 am I have a couple of what look to be those McNeela cases I bought on AliExpress. The two I have don't seal well at all. If I run them under a faucet whatever's inside gets very wet. I've tried a couple ways to seal them but no luck. The McNeela cases look to be exactly the same, but maybe not.

My McNeela case seals reasonably well (maintains 65% humidity in a 20-30% humidity environment), but I haven't dunked it.

It would be fairly easy to modify to make it airtight. Remove the gasket seated in the upper half of the shell and simply fill it in with some aquarium silicone. Give it a few minutes to get tacky, then close the lid and leave it for 12+ hours to dry. Also fill in the screw holes that hold on the name plate on the top. I have Aqueon Silicone Sealant Clear, 3 ounces, from Amazon. It's the same stuff I used to make silicone key pads for a Nach Meyer flute.

I have my GHB in a Pelican 1535, which fits as a carry-on. I haven't found a Pelican case that approximates a flute case, or I would use it. The laptop case is too bulky for me.

Also, for the love of god, if it's a flute you care about, spend the $30 for an Apple AirTag and hide it under the padding in the case. If it's ever lost or stolen, there's a good chance you can find it.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

mssupples - how about this Pelican 1075?

You cut out the foam in the bottom half, and if you don't have an 8 key you simply cut some of those cone points off the top and it's perfect for flutes. In the pic above, I have cut out a space for my whistle, too (which is currently in another Pelican 1075 case). If you look at the top of the case, I had to cut the foam all the way up top to the plastic for my low C and low C# keys. However, the case is so sturdy I don't feel there is a need for foam above those two keys.

I love this as a flute case because it's so thin yet quite strong. It fits in my backpack when traveling along with a small computer perfectly and fits nicely beneath an airplane seat.

However, this is a bit of thread drift as the case was something like $75.

Eric
Flutern
Tell us something.: I have a keen interest in wooden flutes (modern and antique), early music (Renaissance, Baroque), Romantic music and Irish Traditional Music of course! I also play the clarinet (my first instrument) and I've also started learning the cittern.

Post by Flutern »

Jayhawk wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:57 amHowever, this is a bit of thread drift as the case was something like $75.
At this price point, a Protec flute case, as suggested by kkrell, becomes an interesting option too. They're about $60 USD on amazon.com. You just need to be careful about the size of the headjoint + barrel. The slot for the headjoint was 23 cm long, which happened to work for the flute I had bought the case for, but I tried to fit another headjoint in it and it was too long.
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Those protec cases are too big for my tastes. The old antique cases are so small and tight to the flute, and I really admire that. The protec is a good value if it would fit your flute and you don't mind the bulk.

Eric
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Sirchronique wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:08 pm This hard case perfectly fits the bill for what I’m after, as I wanted something hard due to the fact that I am often carrying multiple things when I’m coming in and out. I would use the whistle compartments, as well. It would be perfect for my lunch-break music kit. Thanks very much!

And thanks to everyone else who responded, as well!
If this indicates an interest in the McNeela cases, they are currently listed on sale at $42 US (plus shipping of course).

[Disclaimer: I have no connection with McNeela other than I have purchased a few of these cases for me and as gifts and been satisfied.]

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Flexismart
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.
I could open a music store if I didn't live in the back woods of Pennsylvania.

Post by Flexismart »

This is what I use for my Baubet Eb Delrin. Works great - not bulky, and space for a whistle or two:

https://smile.amazon.com/ADC-Instrument ... th=1&psc=1
PB+J

Post by PB+J »

Great idea, but won't work for a pratten-style three piece
Sirchronique

Post by Sirchronique »

PB+J wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:54 am Great idea, but won't work for a pratten-style three piece
The Baubet is mostly modeled on R&R flutes, and is more than three parts.