Whistles with similar sound to Dixon polymer low D?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
belayatron
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been learning the tin whistle for just under 2 years (as of Jan 2020) and wanting to learn more! Currently own about 11 High D whistles, 2 Low Ds, 2 Flutes and favourite tune is probably off to California with a general love of Irish Hornpipes.

Re: Whistles with similar sound to Dixon polymer low D?

Post by belayatron »

Just because it’s not featured yet, I really like Susato’s Kildare Low D.
I also own a chieftain v5, kerry optima, shearwater and Tony Dixon (the expensive delrin whistle/flute combo one) and the susato is by far my favourite and has a full haunting sound with a strong bell note (I haven’t tried an mk pro though)
learn2turn
Tell us something.: I play mostly my Killary Brass High-D and MK Pro low-D. Also like my Dixon Trad high D and my Dixon Polymer Low-D. I have a bunch of other cheap high-Ds and a few whistles in other keys I dabble with once in a while. Also play some guitar and mando, mostly bluegrass and related folkie Americana. Can't sing for squat. Can pick out chords and simple melodies on a keyboard but that's it; can't really play but it's good for understanding theory.

Post by learn2turn »

Being a novice, my only exposure to a low-D is the Dixon polymer I bought so I could dabble with a low D. I was playing it more this last weekend. The thing I really notice is how "breathy" the sound is. There's a lot of "air whoosh" sound in addition to the note it is ringing. Is that noticeable because it isn't that loud of a whistle? So, if I were to play a whistle that was noted as being louder, like the MK Pro mentioned earlier on this thread, would it sound somewhat less "breathy?"

-l2gt
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

learn2turn wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:15 am Being a novice, my only exposure to a low-D is the Dixon polymer I bought so I could dabble with a low D. I was playing it more this last weekend. The thing I really notice is how "breathy" the sound is. There's a lot of "air whoosh" sound in addition to the note it is ringing. Is that noticeable because it isn't that loud of a whistle? So, if I were to play a whistle that was noted as being louder, like the MK Pro mentioned earlier on this thread, would it sound somewhat less "breathy?"

-l2gt
The MK does make a lot of "Fffffffffffff" sound still. But it doesnt bug me, I forget its there. So it could be less annoying from the whistle being louder. A notable thing is that I'm pretty sure other people usually cant hear it. Its not actually a loud sound, its just the mouthpiece is so close to your head. But I'm the only whistle player I know so I havent heard anyone else play in person to know if thats true or not lol.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

MK whistles can vary quite a bit, I have two, one honks in the lower octave, the other has a sweet second octave but a weaker first octave. My Dixon plays no problems.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
learn2turn
Tell us something.: I play mostly my Killary Brass High-D and MK Pro low-D. Also like my Dixon Trad high D and my Dixon Polymer Low-D. I have a bunch of other cheap high-Ds and a few whistles in other keys I dabble with once in a while. Also play some guitar and mando, mostly bluegrass and related folkie Americana. Can't sing for squat. Can pick out chords and simple melodies on a keyboard but that's it; can't really play but it's good for understanding theory.

Post by learn2turn »

MK whistles can vary quite a bit, I have two, one honks in the lower octave, the other has a sweet second octave but a weaker first octave. My Dixon plays no problems.
Same key or different keys?

-l2t
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

learn2turn wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:47 am
Same key or different keys?

-l2t
Both are low D.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

It bugs me when I hear of premium makers being inconsistent. I'm obviously not bugged by the people saying it. It just makes me sad that I will preach how good I think a whistle is, and then someone could get it and end up not getting what I was describing.

Whats weird with ones like MK, is the machining is obviously extremely precise. So I don't get how there could be so much variation. But this isnt the first time I've heard of Mk's having a large variance in how they play. Which makes me wonder, is it more of a model change, or is it actually just a large variance in each. Because I know its gone from Brass on brass to tape slide. so I wonder if any windway dimensions have changed aswell. And then that could explain part of the variance.

I have a no tape slide on mine, and it has a strong low end. So I'm hoping the new ones still have the strong low end, because I think they use a tape slide now. Unless I'm mistaken. So it could be a changed model. Not sure though.

Or MK's actually just have big variance with no intentional model changes. And that would be pretty bad. Because half of why people pay the large price tag for the big name makers is you know what your getting. If the quality control isnt there thats pretty disappointing. Because I know every Burke and Goldie you buy, is going to play exactly as intended.

Hopefully someone has more information on which of these it is.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Funny how this thread starts out about Dixon's whistle & ends up as a discussion about MK whistles....... :lol:

I hope the original poster got the answer they were after. :)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Since the question was posted which low D plays nice and easily into the 2nd octave -- of all the ones I have, the V5 by kerrywhistles is one of the easiest to play in my collection (I do have the Dixon plastic and: V4, Thunderbird, TWZ low D, Qwistle, Howard, Dixon "trad" brass low D and MK Kelpie). The MK Kelpie also plays rather easily and has a slightly more "dirty" sound than the V5 but also is a bit louder. I think the closest in sound to the Dixon is my TWZ low D but that is a very peculiar whistle in itself. I don't think many people here have one besides myself :D . It a very basic one-piece brass tube with a wooden block. I like it because it is so different from any other design. And I have all the 3 different high D whistles from TWZ which are excellent.
https://www.tinwhistle.de/low-whistles/ ... istles.php
They call it "Lucy Adams" but I don't think that is a maker's name -- TWZ makes them and it is just the name of the whistle.
Tremendouz
Tell us something.: A low whistle player with more whistles than skill. Looking forward to improve... and acquire more whistles!

Post by Tremendouz »

Sedi wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:58 am I think the closest in sound to the Dixon is my TWZ low D but that is a very peculiar whistle in itself. I don't think many people here have one besides myself :D . It a very basic one-piece brass tube with a wooden block. I like it because it is so different from any other design. And I have all the 3 different high D whistles from TWZ which are excellent.
https://www.tinwhistle.de/low-whistles/ ... istles.php
They call it "Lucy Adams" but I don't think that is a maker's name -- TWZ makes them and it is just the name of the whistle.
Interesting, I saw this video with the TWZ and I loved the sound https://youtu.be/Yj7Mu_5x3tU

I'm a bit skeptical about brass and wooden block because I'm irrationally nervous about moisture, sweat, spit etc. damaging my whistles (I mostly have plastic whistles besides my carbony and freeman tweaked whistles) but I'm now intrigued about this whistle.

Is the one in the video the same you have? If so, I'm interested in hearing more about it.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Yes, that's the one. The one in the video seems to be the tunable version, mine is not tunable but that is the only difference. The wooden block is made of hardwood and despite the fact I rarely ever play any of my low whistles anymore (switched to the flute) there seems to be zero shrinkage of the block. If you don't store it wet I think there would be no issue with the wood. It takes little air. The brass has a lot of patina -- I can take some pics tomorrow, maybe even post a video but I haven't posted one in a long time.
I think it might be slightly overpriced considering the rather simple design -- compared to something like a Chieftain V5 for example. On the other hand -- there are not that many brass low Ds out there. The Howard, the TWZ and the discontinued Dixon "trad". And a few custom made models from Phil Hardy.
It's hand-made and there might be some variation of course. I every only played the one I have.
Tremendouz
Tell us something.: A low whistle player with more whistles than skill. Looking forward to improve... and acquire more whistles!

Post by Tremendouz »

Sedi wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:16 pm Yes, that's the one. The one in the video seems to be the tunable version, mine is not tunable but that is the only difference. The wooden block is made of hardwood and despite the fact I rarely ever play any of my low whistles anymore (switched to the flute) there seems to be zero shrinkage of the block. If you don't store it wet I think there would be no issue with the wood. It takes little air. The brass has a lot of patina -- I can take some pics tomorrow, maybe even post a video but I haven't posted one in a long time.
I think it might be slightly overpriced considering the rather simple design -- compared to something like a Chieftain V5 for example. On the other hand -- there are not that many brass low Ds out there. The Howard, the TWZ and the discontinued Dixon "trad". And a few custom made models from Phil Hardy.
It's hand-made and there might be some variation of course. I every only played the one I have.
I'd appreciate a video a lot but if it's too much trouble, no pressure.

Actually, taking a closer look on big screen, even the fipple looks totally different between the whistle in the video and the website so I'm not sure if it's the same one after all. I couldn't find a whistle on the site that looked like the one in the video.
Sedi
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

It's the same whistle. The one I linked and the one in the video. The only difference is that the one in the video is tunable. The "window" of the mouthpiece is just a hole slightly bent inwards to form a blade. Very similar to the construction of a Clarke whistle.
https://www.tinwhistle.de/images/lucyad ... brass2.jpg
Sedi
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Okay -- took a closer look again and I think you are right -- looks like the construction is slightly different -- it has a kind of sleeve that forms the windway like on their high whistles. I think that one is no longer made.
https://www.tinwhistle.de/images/twzaljo_2011.jpg
Sedi
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

So -- after playing the TWZ for some time today, I don't think I'd recommend it over the Dixon low D. It does have a very similar sound, yes. But it also suffers from the same weaknesses. Rather weak bell note and the holes are way larger than on the Dixon, so harder to seal -- that in itself might lead to more squeaks. Even I had difficulties closing the holes quickly and properly and I have large hands.
But I "rediscovered" my V5 from kerrywhistles and that one is a real gem. Easy to play, great tuning, very "stable" -- no squaks or squeals. But it also has a slightly purer sound than the Dixon. Not as "wailing" and "haunting" but still with some breathiness. I think it's a great whistle overall. Highly recommended.