My new flute case

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jeggy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Started playing trad about 25 years ago with tin whistles, and bought first flute about 20 years ago. Played very sporadically, with very little discipline or tuition and unsurprisingly made little progress. Started playing again a couple of years ago after not playing much for 15-16 years.

My new flute case

Post by Jeggy »

So, after very many years I've finally got a flute case which I think my Olwell flute deserves. It's georgeous and a perfect fit. Made by Nicolas le Touze of beautiful white ebony. I remember when I first bought this flute in the mid 90's, a case was a luxury I couldn't afford. I'm very glad now this has finally been rectified.

https://imgur.com/N9lG18b

https://imgur.com/eWLjD05
Flotineer
Tell us something.: New fluter. Recovering piper... What with one thing and another I’m learning the flute, but I’ve been learning Irish music for a while now.

Re: My new flute case

Post by Flotineer »

Wow! Gorgeous!

What is white ebony, and how did you come to choose it?
Jeggy
Tell us something.: Started playing trad about 25 years ago with tin whistles, and bought first flute about 20 years ago. Played very sporadically, with very little discipline or tuition and unsurprisingly made little progress. Started playing again a couple of years ago after not playing much for 15-16 years.

Post by Jeggy »

Hi Flotineer. A fellow fluter from Brittany had recently gotten a flute case from Nicolas and was a friend of his. He directed me to Nicolas le Touze after I commented how nice his case was. After speaking with him, Nicolas sent through a catalogue with the wood panels he had available and the white ebony just stood out to me. It looks like charred wood but that's just how it is. Nicolas said he got it from Laos.

https://www.wood-database.com/black-and-white-ebony/

I would have happily gotten several other woods to be honest - he had some beautiful walnut, myrtle and camphor amongst others. But the white ebony just seemed very exotic and the contrast nicely fits the blackwood of the flute. The outside trim is boxwood.
pixyy
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

What a beautiful case and definitely one befitting the instrument.
from the card I can read we are samesakes - are you from The Netherlands?
Best
Jeroen
Jeggy

Post by Jeggy »

I am from the Netherlands Pixyy :) And yes, we are namesakes.

My family moved to the US when I was 8 though and I now make my home in Northern Ireland.
pixyy
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

Namesakes and fellow expats then - I left The Netherlands in 2000 and have been living in Denmark for the last 21years.
Cheers!