Want to Trade Dixon Alto A Traditional Brass Whistle for another alto A

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
maiingan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi;
I have an Oak high D, Generation Bb, Dixon Alto A, Tilbury Low G, Humphrey low F and a Howard low D.

Want to Trade Dixon Alto A Traditional Brass Whistle for another alto A

Post by maiingan »

Hi;
I have a Dixon Alto A Traditional Brass Whistle that I bought several years ago on my way down to low whistles. I like it's pure clear tone. I like finger spacing as I can do it without pipers grip. What I don't like is that upon occasion (especially high notes) it can crack? Not sure if that's the right term. It doesn't always do it, so I'm sure the trouble is probably me, my technique, breath control, etc. One time it will crack on a certain note then I can play that note again later and it sounds fine.
I play a song, put it down and grab another whistle that is a little more forgiving. So there it sits. That's why I thought there might be someone who wanted to do a trade. If there's interest I can post pictures, Brasso it if wanted, maybe a sound sample. I'm not a the best player yet. Only have 5 songs memorized. my goal: sound OK and not annoy the neighbors :lol:
I'm located in the USA
Any votes: Keep brass patina or use Brasso?
Stay safe and hopefully healthy;

Patti
et succendam sibilus (blow the whistle) :thumbsup:
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: Want to Trade Dixon Alto A Traditional Brass Whistle for another alto A

Post by fatmac »

I had trouble with the fipple on my aluminium 'A', I'm OK on the Trad Brass, so I'm guessing you may need to do what I found I needed on mine, that is, twist the fipple very slightly in your mouth when going to the second octave, don't know why, none of my other Dixons have this 'feature'. :D

Re patina, I'd say keep it. :)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

The lower Dixon "trad" models can be a little tricky to play. I have the G and it needs very good breath control. But then it sounds rather lovely. I'd keep that one and lay it aside for some time, then return to it and see if it sounds better. Those are no longer made. I do have the Dixon A with the thicker aluminum tubing -- I think those are a bit easier to play.
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

I used to have the Dixon brass A and G. Both were soft blowers and needed a deft touch. I switched to other whistles, but now wish I had kept them as part of my collection. Regarding brasso, I like my brass tarnished. I have no idea why, but to my ears, tarnished and worn whistles sound better.
learn2turn
Tell us something.: I play mostly my Killary Brass High-D and MK Pro low-D. Also like my Dixon Trad high D and my Dixon Polymer Low-D. I have a bunch of other cheap high-Ds and a few whistles in other keys I dabble with once in a while. Also play some guitar and mando, mostly bluegrass and related folkie Americana. Can't sing for squat. Can pick out chords and simple melodies on a keyboard but that's it; can't really play but it's good for understanding theory.

Post by learn2turn »

I suspect you may have the same experience with this whistle that I have.

I'm a novice and bought a Tuneable Alto A Whistle (Brass Trad) by Tony Dixon a year ago for two reasons-- I wanted to start learning to play a moderately lower whistle; I wanted to play some fiddle tunes in D on an A whistle (crossing fingering one note) so they fit better in the range of the whistle without having to jump octaves on some phases.

I have to say I really like the sound of the Dixon A when I get the note I want but it is without question the hardest whistle I have to play. There is something extremely funky about how it jumps octaves. Sometimes it seems too easy and I get a pronounced chiff on the low octave when I don't want to jump up an octave. Sometimes it seems too hard to jump octaves and I get the horrid squawk of death if I try to hit the upper octave and miss.

My guess is with practice, I could get the tone and note I want all the time. But really, being a novice, I need to spend most of my time on my best high-D practicing to improve skills more so that playing on many different whistles

-l2t
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

This is why I'm really skeptical when some people say that better whistles don't exist and its all preference. I feel like its misleading. Maybe this is someone's favorite whistle. But I've lost count of the times I've read of people having a hard time with dixon A and G's. I wish Dixon would drop them or do a re model. Because Dixon high d's are actually really good for the money. Then someone gets the altos.

I'd definitely vote to go for a freeman A for anyone on a budget looking for an A. Unlike the Dixon A, I've heard pretty much nothing but compliments about it.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Narzog wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:26 pm lI wish Dixon would drop them
They are no longer made for quite some time now. Dixon currently only sell D whistles and flutes (low and soprano) and one lonely C-model on their website.
The aluminium models were a bit easier to play. I have the G in brass and aluminium and the A in aluminium. I think they play fine.
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

Dixon is really paring down their offerings. It used to be that I was confused by all their models of high-D whistles (notwithstanding the difference between "has a tuning slide" and "doesn't"). Now it's "You can have plastic, or plastic with a tuning slide." Is The Era Of Whistles over? The economy? Or is it just that there was never a market to sustain that much variety to make it worthwhile for them?
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

Sedi wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:58 am They are no longer made for quite some time now. Dixon currently only sell D whistles and flutes (low and soprano) and one lonely C-model on their website.
The aluminium models were a bit easier to play. I have the G in brass and aluminium and the A in aluminium. I think they play fine.
They look like they are still sold (the aluminum ones not brass). Which is good for people on a budget who will like them at least. I'm still hoping for a re model though haha.
https://www.tonydixonmusic.co.uk/product/alto-whistle/
Katharine wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:31 am Dixon is really paring down their offerings. It used to be that I was confused by all their models of high-D whistles (notwithstanding the difference between "has a tuning slide" and "doesn't"). Now it's "You can have plastic, or plastic with a tuning slide." Is The Era Of Whistles over? The economy? Or is it just that there was never a market to sustain that much variety to make it worthwhile for them?
It looks to me like they still have the thick aluminum body and the nickel trad
Sedi
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

You're right. Didn't see that one. The aluminium versions are IMO easier to play.
I think one reason they cut down the model range is that they can't get some of the tubing anymore.
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

Narzog wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:12 am
Sedi wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:58 am They are no longer made for quite some time now. Dixon currently only sell D whistles and flutes (low and soprano) and one lonely C-model on their website.
They look like they are still sold (the aluminum ones not brass). Which is good for people on a budget who will like them at least. I'm still hoping for a re model though haha.
https://www.tonydixonmusic.co.uk/product/alto-whistle/
Katharine wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:31 am Dixon is really paring down their offerings. It used to be that I was confused by all their models of high-D whistles (notwithstanding the difference between "has a tuning slide" and "doesn't"). Now it's "You can have plastic, or plastic with a tuning slide." Is The Era Of Whistles over? The economy? Or is it just that there was never a market to sustain that much variety to make it worthwhile for them?
It looks to me like they still have the thick aluminum body and the nickel trad
Yes, you're right-- they do still have the nickel (I just bought one a couple weeks ago) and the alloy (I hear nice things but it was above my budget).
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
Squeeky Elf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Squeeky Elf »

It 's the dearth of C whistles that throws me off. I keep waiting for a DX005 in C. That's not asking for much.
“Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes.”