Bagpipe Tunes On Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
CAMcClellan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I’m here because I have fallen in love with the sound of the whistle. I play other instruments, but not in public anymore. For me, I play music because I can’t not play music.

Bagpipe Tunes On Whistle

Post by CAMcClellan »

I’ve noticed that some of the bagpipe tunes that I like listening to seem to fit on the whistle quite well. Seems to be good practice for breath control, and practicing cuts.

Here’s my question, though. As there are no drones on a whistle, do you all think I can fire up the weedeater, maybe try to tune it a little…. :D
Darth Corpulent
Sith Lord of Tacos
Steve Bliven

Re: Bagpipe Tunes On Whistle

Post by Steve Bliven »

CAMcClellan wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:16 pm do you all think I can fire up the weedeater, maybe try to tune it a little….
Probably easier to tune than the pipes.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
CAMcClellan
Tell us something.: I’m here because I have fallen in love with the sound of the whistle. I play other instruments, but not in public anymore. For me, I play music because I can’t not play music.

Post by CAMcClellan »

In all seriousness, though, being melodies that I know perfectly, they seem to adapt well for practice. Because I don’t play pipes, I’m not really getting into a habit of playing them like pipe tunes, but trying to play like a whistle. Good practice at nice, flowing legato notes and octave and pitch control.

What else might be good for that sort of practice? I’ve got a passible Morrison’s Jig, Foggy Dew, Soldier’s Joy, and Amazing Grace, and I’m working on some of the Appalachian old time music that I play on banjo.

I have a good pulse going on these songs, with the exception of needing to practice and clean up my breath pauses.

I don’t seem to have too great of a problem switching octaves, and am trying to keep the tonguing in check.
Darth Corpulent
Sith Lord of Tacos
rykirk
Tell us something.: I am a piper and guitarist who has taken up the whistle and flute. Mostly interested in and playing Scottish baroque and trad.

Post by rykirk »

Technically all pipe tunes fit well on the whistle. You can play them all as notated in A, or if they don't feature prominent low Gs you can transpose them to D to keep them in the lower range. I do this a lot as I think the whistle sounds better in its bottom half. I played pipes before taking up whistle and flute and I play a lot more Scottish than Irish music and I tend to do more pipe style ornaments and they work really well. You can definitely birl and a lot of doublings work, modified throws work. And I tend to do my cuts like I would piping using mostly top hand index, or for repeated notes, top hand index, low hand index, top hand ring. Works just fine on both whistle and flute and since I'm not overly into the Irish style I find it fits the music I play better.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

Scottish bagpipe tunes work very well on tin whistle - the 9 notes sit in the middle range of the whistle. Here's a set of 3 jigs from a few years back :

https://youtu.be/AZ6QUJw7iyQ
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
syn whistles

Post by syn whistles »

I have an ancient 78 record called 'Imitation of a Bagpipe on a Tin Whistle'. The player addresses the drone question by humming while he plays the whistle.
So good it has to be a SYN!
CAMcClellan

Post by CAMcClellan »

I think this is something that I may explore more. I love both Scottish music as well as Irish, and it did not really occur to ne until I was whistling and humming some bagpipe tunes at work a few days ago.

Will learning GHB style ornamentation make it more difficult to properly play Irish tunes?
Darth Corpulent
Sith Lord of Tacos
rykirk
Tell us something.: I am a piper and guitarist who has taken up the whistle and flute. Mostly interested in and playing Scottish baroque and trad.

Post by rykirk »

CAMcClellan wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:51 pm I think this is something that I may explore more. I love both Scottish music as well as Irish, and it did not really occur to ne until I was whistling and humming some bagpipe tunes at work a few days ago.

Will learning GHB style ornamentation make it more difficult to properly play Irish tunes?
No, they are different but just more options in your repertoire. No reason learning the Irish ones should be any harder.
CAMcClellan

Post by CAMcClellan »

I just read your response to rather Whistle Embellishments thread from earlier, and it certainly makes sense. I play bass, both electric bass guitar and contrabass, and I certainly use different techniques when playing bluegrass and baroque, or doom metal, jazz, or funk on the electric. It stands to reason that I would similarly learn to change ‘modes’ on the whistle, depending on what fits the style.
Darth Corpulent
Sith Lord of Tacos