Care for fixed low whistles and flutes?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
khl
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Care for fixed low whistles and flutes?

Post by khl »

I’m curious to know what might be done for cleaning/swabbing low wood Whistles or Flutes that are one piece and can’t be taken apart. The regular, available swabs, for instance, are too short.

What have some of you done for flutes such as an Owell Bamboo flute or similar instruments? I recently acquired and Ellis Essential Flute—low Bb and so the question.
Keith
Steve Bliven

Re: Care for fixed low whistles and flutes?

Post by Steve Bliven »

Don't mean to be flip, but just use a longer rod.

A dowel from the local hardware store with a slit on the end and a cloth with an attached string would work.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
khl
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Post by khl »

Steve Bliven wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:39 pm Don't mean to be flip, but just use a longer rod.

A dowel from the local hardware store with a slit on the end . . .
Steve
This will probably be what I’ll do. I was hoping to find something already made, available at a music store online, etc.

Any other DIY suggestions are welcome.
Keith
Latticino

Post by Latticino »

I use a version of a flute flag: graphite tube from a sport kite build leftover (arrow shafts...) and a piece of microfiber glued and sewn on. Here is an original: https://www.flutacious.com/Accessories-Flute-Flag-TD
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen
khl

Post by khl »

Latticino wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:50 pm I use a version of a flute flag: graphite tube from a sport kite build leftover (arrow shafts...) and a piece of microfiber glued and sewn on. Here is an original: https://www.flutacious.com/Accessories-Flute-Flag-TD
Thanks. I thought I’d done a fairly thorough internet search. Hadn’t seen the flute flag. The build your own seems a good deal less expensive.
Keith
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

When I got a cecilio concert flute a while back it had a big plastic cleaning rod with the thing on the end to fit a cleaning cloth. If you can find a long version of something like this it would work. Otherwise I endorse the dowel method. Lots of ways to attach a cloth, like drilling holes for a slit.

Also you could get something like this and stick it to a longer dowel/stick to use. Just make sure not metal parts of it can hit the inside of your bore and scratch it. Or find a plastic version of this.
https://www.amazon.com/Cotton-Cleaning- ... 08K8T7Z7G/
Last edited by Narzog on Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

You know, there's really no need for the slit. I made my own cleaning rods from 1/4" dowelling for my flutes, sizing them accordingly, and when using them put a corner of the cloth over the end while wrapping the rest around the the length. What's important is that the cloth won't obstruct and cause jamming, and that it is absorbent. Silk is really good for that, but if like me you avoid silk for ahimsa reasons, you'll have to experiment until you find what works; but there are plenty of good choices. IIRC my last swabbing cloth was a plain, white cotton handkerchief.

My personal style of cleaning rod was one end rounded, and the other end squared off (IOW, a plain, perpendicular cut). I would use both ends for different purposes: the rounded end for basic swabbing of the tube (the theory being that a rounded end would put less stress on the fabric), and the flat-cut end for better grip on the cloth in getting it to fill the headjoint (which was my practice), and for getting into the corners of the sockets.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
rykirk
Tell us something.: I am a piper and guitarist who has taken up the whistle and flute. Mostly interested in and playing Scottish baroque and trad.

Post by rykirk »

Gun cleaning rods are perfect, they usually come in sections that screw together so you can make it whatever length you want.