Hamilton Eb 6 key flute on E-bay

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Hamilton Eb 6 key flute on E-bay

Post by Steampacket »

There's an Eb Hamilton 6 key flute for sale on E-bay now. Location Plesio, CO, Italy:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/S-C-Hamilton-E ... SwrKNf8yAt
Qiufan Zhu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: it.DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Re: Hamilton Eb 6 key flute on E-bay

Post by Qiufan Zhu »

His flute will only get fewer and fewer.I don't know if the price is worth it.But this flute doesn't look very good from the outside.
Last edited by Qiufan Zhu on Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

Looks a little dry, doesn't it. Needs some oiling. Inside as well, probably.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
Flexismart
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.
I could open a music store if I didn't live in the back woods of Pennsylvania.

Post by Flexismart »

This is a very interesting Hamilton flute.
It has a squared embouchure hole, a fully lined head joint, leaf springs, adjustable crown, and a makers stamp on the tuning slide.
And being Rudall style, it must have been a custom build.
These all are elements that he didn't use in his later flutes.
I'd be curious to know the date of this flute, and who it was made for.

Beautiful instrument.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Flexismart wrote:This is a very interesting Hamilton flute.
It has a squared embouchure hole, a fully lined head joint, leaf springs, adjustable crown, and a makers stamp on the tuning slide.
And being Rudall style, it must have been a custom build.
These all are elements that he didn't use in his later flutes.
I'd be curious to know the date of this flute, and who it was made for.

Beautiful instrument.
And no tenon reinforcements.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

I wonder though how often you'd get to use an €3600 6-key Eb flute outside your home? Were there many Eb sessions before covid-19? Perhaps if you're making a CD, or playing a gig?

For €3811 you can buy A Stephen Morvan 8-key D flute from the Irish flute store:

https://www.irishflutestore.com/collect ... ey-pratten
Qiufan Zhu
Tell us something.: it.DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Post by Qiufan Zhu »

Steampacket wrote:I wonder though how often you'd get to use an €3600 6-key Eb flute outside your home? Were there many Eb sessions before covid-19? Perhaps if you're making a CD, or playing a gig?

For €3811 you can buy A Stephen Morvan 8-key D flute from the Irish flute store:

https://www.irishflutestore.com/collect ... ey-pratten

I think which key is not important.But this is a Hamilton flute.
Last edited by Qiufan Zhu on Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
kenny

Post by kenny »

"I think which key is not important". I doubt very much that many people will agree with that statement. The opportunities for playing that flute in a session are extremely limited.

"But this a Hamilton flute". And no doubt an excellent instrument, probably bound for someone's "collection".
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

I think which key is not important.But this a Hamilton flute. Quifan Zhu
I disagree the key is very important if you're taking the flute to a session, or to play Irish traditional music with other musicians at a gig. They may not wish, or want, to play tunes in Eb. No problem of course if you're playing solo, or the other musicians have agreed to play/ or tune to Eb.
Qiufan Zhu

Post by Qiufan Zhu »

Steampacket wrote:
I think which key is not important.But this a Hamilton flute. Quifan Zhu
I disagree the key is very important if you're taking the flute to a session, or to play Irish traditional music with other musicians at a gig. They may not wish, or want, to play tunes in Eb. No problem of course if you're playing solo, or the other musicians have agreed to play/ or tune to Eb.
I guess most of the members in this forum have more than one flute.Why not choose a proper flute to play with others?
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

I guess most of the members in this forum have more than one flute.Why not choose a proper flute to play with others? Quifan Zhu
Yes, I'm sure the Hamilton Eb flute is a fine instrument, and whoever buys it already has a D flute. If you really like playing in Eb then go for it. I suspect though that the owner is selling it as it doesn't get played much.
Flexismart
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.
I could open a music store if I didn't live in the back woods of Pennsylvania.

Post by Flexismart »

I asked Hammy about this Eb flute.
Here's his reply:

"That flute was in fact a standard Eb...of its time.
It's a really early one, sometime in the mid 80s, so at that time I was doing most of the features that you've mentioned as standard.
It is a R & R model, and would have a fully lined head. I think it dates from before when I used to put a number on them.
Seems to be in fairly good condition, although the touch of the long F seems bent...a very minor thing."