new flute or old

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Trevor Brown
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a professional multi-instrumentalist from Australia interested in wooden flutes. I am looking to buy an 8key Pratten as soon as possible

new flute or old

Post by Trevor Brown »

Hi, so if one had to choose between flutes

- a new Chris Norman
- a new Ormiston
- a new Lejeune
- a second hand Morvan

which would you choose....

I would like to update my current ASAP, looking for something that is in tune firstly, sounds great second, and thirdly available this year, or as soon as possible
jim stone

Re: new flute or old

Post by jim stone »

Check The Irish Flute Store, online.
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

Good flutes come up occasionally rather than right when you need them. Only a used flute is available "now".

Big sound or sweet? Session or parlor?

A Morvan Pratten is probably a louder flute. Chris Norman would be a subtle one.

If it was for my living room, I'd pick the Chris Norman.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

For me, a good quality delrin type flute, maybe with keys. :D

Are you a good player that needs a new flute, or are you just wanting a 'new to you' flute; that would determine part of your question. :thumbsup:
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

Without a doubt I would buy the Morvan.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
Trevor Brown
Tell us something.: I am a professional multi-instrumentalist from Australia interested in wooden flutes. I am looking to buy an 8key Pratten as soon as possible

Post by Trevor Brown »

for concert and recording really,
have been a professional boehm flute player for 30 years, but have fallen in love with the simple system.... 8 key preferred.
pixyy
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

By all your criteria picking up a used 8-key like the Morvan is the way to go.

I have had 2 keyless flutes on order. Waited a year and received both around the same time.
There is great joy in the feel, smell and process of playing in a brand new wooden flute for sure. I am now also reminded how labour intensive it is to have to oil very frequently while they don't quite sound optimally yet
(yes poor me needing to do this on two flutes). By the time the flutes are played in, the keyed version of one of them will likely arrive :)
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

If Matt Molloy, who has been playing for about 65 years, doesn't need 8 keys, neither do I. I have been playing flutes with six keys for about fifty years and I haven't ever missed having eight keys.

You just don't need eight keys -- or any keys, if it comes to that -- to make good music.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
Conical bore

Post by Conical bore »

Julia Delaney wrote:You just don't need eight keys -- or any keys, if it comes to that -- to make good music.
In general and in relation to Irish and Scottish trad, yes. But when it comes down to specific tunes, well it's a question of repertoire and how much you might care about the one or two tunes that benefit from those extra keys.

I'd be perfectly happy with a six-key flute if I hadn't ever run into Alasdair Fraser's recording of "The J.B. Reel" with a low C# in the A part and became completely infatuated with it. Yeah, you can "fold" that low C# up an octave or substitute a note a third up to fake it, but it's not the same tune played that way. Sometimes a tune can just be moved up to a different key to avoid low notes, but it doesn't work well when there is a very wide range like this one, with a high B note in the original mode of F# dorian.

It's those darned fiddlers! If only flute players wrote the tunes we wouldn't have to deal with this! :lol:
bigsciota

Post by bigsciota »

Julia Delaney wrote:If Matt Molloy, who has been playing for about 65 years, doesn't need 8 keys, neither do I.
Not entirely sure what you mean by this, as Matt Molloy's longtime main flute is an 8 keyed Boosey. Not sure what he's playing on now, though, so maybe that's what you're referring to. I know he's got a 6 keyed Olwell floating around his rotation of flutes.

Regardless, I agree whole-heartedly with your main point
Julia Delaney wrote: You just don't need eight keys -- or any keys, if it comes to that -- to make good music.
I actually had keyed flute that went down to low B at one point, as well as another vintage 8 keyed flute. Sold both of them on because I just kept going back to my keyless. Maybe I'll get some keys some day; for now I'm happy without. And I know Seamus Tansey is fond of slagging people who get too fond of their keys...
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Bigsciota: ¨And I know Seamus Tansey is fond of slagging people who get too fond of their keys. . .¨

Yes, Seamus Tansey, the man renown for stripping the keys off his RH flute to facilitate it being played LH, and plugging the resulting key holes with plump sultanas :o How like Tansey to take his own quirks and crotchets and elevate them to Dogma! To give the man his due, he can play, or at least could, to a high standard.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi