Almond Oil

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Gcobean
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Paddy Maloney rules! Ok, seriously though, I love the Chieftains. I'm here for whistle and flute discussions. Looking at the classifieds as well.

Almond Oil

Post by Gcobean »

So I need some almond oil for my ABW flute. Amazon, for example, has a ton of different kinds. Anyone have a solid recommendation? Thanks.
Steve Bliven

Re: Almond Oil

Post by Steve Bliven »

I get mine at the local heath food store.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
cac
Tell us something.: Simple system wooden flutes, keyed and keyless. xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx

Post by cac »

Look for 'sweet' almond oil. It appears to be on Amazon. I get mine at a local pharmacy. Chet
BKWeid
Tell us something.: I really enjoy the information and experience from the members on this forum. I've learned so much from the long time members about ITM, flutes, and whistles in general. I also enjoy the humor and culture. Instrument reviews have been helpful and the posts on embouchure are priceless. As I generally don't get out to sessions, the information from this board is my only connection at times to the music.

Post by BKWeid »

I've had great success with almond oil over the years.

The one I use is "Now Solutions". It is labeled as sweet almond oil, 100% pure, moisturizing oil. I might add it is a great moisturizer for the hands, which is an issue living the the high desert.

Wipe on, wipe off...
ecadre
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by ecadre »

I just bought "Sweet Almond Oil" on ebay, a bottle that would probably oil every wooden whistle in the county for the next ten years :o

It's a great skin softener though.

I have some eyedrop bottles that I fill with oil, and I got a few more on ebay (they're dirt cheap) to use for anti-condensing solution.
Gcobean
Tell us something.: Paddy Maloney rules! Ok, seriously though, I love the Chieftains. I'm here for whistle and flute discussions. Looking at the classifieds as well.

Post by Gcobean »

Thanks all! Sounds like I should apply almond oil to flute and skin :)
Flexismart
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.
I could open a music store if I didn't live in the back woods of Pennsylvania.

Post by Flexismart »

Now that you have your almond oil, you may want to consider stabilizing it with vitamin e oil. Almond oil tends to go rancid, and vitamin e oil will slow that down. Vitamin e oil can come from a supplement capsule, or whatever source you can find.
This has been a much discussed topic on this forum over the years. The shelf life of almond oil is 1 year.
Use the Search for 'almond oil', then in the 'Search these results' type 'vitamin.'

I've gone thru plenty of almond oil, but usually had to throw most of it away.
(Since these instruments are near your nose, it's not difficult to smell it.)

About 8 years ago I changed to Jojoba oil (which is a liquified wax) for my flutes, wooden whistles, and fretboards.
It doesn't go rancid and wood likes it. The shelf life of Jojoba oil is 5 years.

You can find it at Trader Joes in a 4oz bottle for about $8, or Amazon, or most drug or health food stores.
MKE_Chris

Post by MKE_Chris »

You can also get almond oil with vitamin E already added, which are typically the types of oil intended for skin care. These are definitely better than the type intended for cooking.
Flutern
Tell us something.: I have a keen interest in wooden flutes (modern and antique), early music (Renaissance, Baroque), Romantic music and Irish Traditional Music of course! I also play the clarinet (my first instrument) and I've also started learning the cittern.

Post by Flutern »

For what it's worth, bore oil (such as Doctor's Bore or Yamaha's) doesn't get rancid, is affordable and is designed for woodwind instruments. I don't know how it works as a skin softener though :really:
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

I get it from a pharmacy, add the contents of a vitamin E capsule and store it in the ‘fridge. Never had it go rancid in the bottle. I don’t like the slightly cloying smell if I get it on the silver fittings though.
kmag
Tell us something.: I try my best to play the flute and pipes. I have been coming here for years and now are required to fill this out for an address change.

Post by kmag »

gwuilleann wrote:For what it's worth, bore oil (such as Doctor's Bore or Yamaha's) doesn't get rancid, is affordable and is designed for woodwind instruments. I don't know how it works as a skin softener though :really:
I use Doctor's Bore Oil and have for years. I use it on a boxwood and on a blackwood flute. It is formulated for blackwood and my 1940's Selmer clarinet loves it as well!