Sealing the holes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Gromit

Sealing the holes

Post by Gromit »

I wonder if anyone else has this problem - I'm having to press my fingers hard down on the holes to get a seal when playing. Seems like the pads on my fingers have dried out (I think they need repadding :) ) I'm using hand cream which helps a bit - so any advice?

I've been playing for some time but this is a recent problem probably age related.
Conical bore
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Sealing the holes

Post by Conical bore »

Age probably has something to do with it. I've noticed in the last year or so as I get into my later 60's, the skin on my fingers are developing persistent crack-like lines that show up more in Winter when the humidity is low. The underlying flesh also isn't as flexible as it used to be. It takes longer for an indentation like the impression of a flute finger hole to disappear. Then again, maybe that's a good thing for sealing? I dunno.

One thing I've been doing in addition to hand cream after washing dishes, is applying a tiny swipe of cork grease on my fingers before playing. Not enough to feel greasy or waxy, just a tiny bit of lubrication. I use the same stuff -- D'Addario "natural ingredient" cork grease -- as a protective outer coat on the flute barrel, so there are no issues with something on my hands that the flute won't like. Maybe it helps a little with sealing the holes, and I also like the way it improves "stiction" with my lower hand thumb pressing against the flute.

Also, should go without saying, but don't let your home's humidity drop too low in Winter from heating the air. I use room humidifiers, so it never drops below around 40 rh even during a cold snap. It helps keep your skin from drying out.
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

I often wonder about Nicholson's approach - flattening the top of the tube around the two sets of fingerholes. Intuitively, you'd think that it would be easier to seal onto a flat surface than a round one, especially as our fingertips are curved in the other direction.

Interestingly, my Prowse Nicholson original only features the flat on the right hand holes.

Do you sense a difference between your two hands, Gromit?
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

-- D'Addario "natural ingredient" cork grease
Thanks Conical bore I'll try the D'Addario cork grease (thought they only made guitar strings) - yes I've got the same indentation problem that you describe.

Terry - Interesting about the flattening around the fingerholes. I have more of a problem sealing the right hand holes F#, E & D. So perhaps Mr. Nicholson and Mr. Prowse had old codgers like me in mind.
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

It is interesting that we go to a lot of trouble to provide our keypads with the best possible guidance and seating surface, but leave our poor fingers to find their own way to the holes and seal holes that curve away in the opposite direction! Here's a key hole that Potter put on an 1851 model Clinton flute:

Flutesoftheforest

Post by Flutesoftheforest »

Are you playing a large hole flute?

If so perhaps the time is right to "down size". I find my medium hole Rudall and Rose so much easier to seal.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

I have an early Chris Wilkes purchased new in 1990. It looks pretty much the same (hole wise) as Terry's Prowse Nicholson but without the flattening around the fingerholes. I think the answer is what I'm doing - using cream/grease on my finger's before and during playing.

Thanks for the advice folks
keithsandra

Post by keithsandra »

I have the same problem with the right hand fingers so raise my elbow. That works until next time when i forget to elbow up ...

Best wishes all,

Keith.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I've heard that the Old Timers licked their finger pads before playing.
Don't knock it till you've tried it.
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

Heh heh, keeps the immune system working at full capacity too!
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Old & young timers
keithsandra

Post by keithsandra »

Wet fingers make my flutes slippery!

Big or small holes don't seem to make any difference.

Fortunately the problem doesn't arise often anyway.

Best,

Keith.
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

A little experiment to investigate and give us some numbers.

I took a newly made Pratten keyless body, plugged the bottom end and attached the top end to my Magnehelic Flute Leakage Detector.

8 Magnehelic set up point for open air

4 Dry hands, holes lightly covered

2 Dry hands, holes firmly covered, (also Magnehelic recommendation for maximum permissible leakage in a whole flute)

1 Fingers licked then lightly covered

0.5 Fingers cork greased then lightly covered

0.4 Dry hands, squeezed hard

0.2 All holes bunged

0 Cork greased fingers squeezed hard
0 Magnehelic tube squeezed off

Playing with the cork grease felt awful, but wiping fingers and flute with a rag after seemed to retain the benefits without the goupiness.
david_h

Post by david_h »

In a previous discussion someone mentioned highland pipers running their fingers down the side of their nose to get a light greasing.
kmag
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I try my best to play the flute and pipes. I have been coming here for years and now are required to fill this out for an address change.

Post by kmag »

As mentioned earlier as I get older, and my skin gets drier, it gets harder to seal the holes. I have the same problem with trying to swipe my phone and touch screens. Moisturizer is my friend. I never used it but I do now, especially when playing the pipes.