Somers Flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
davidbruce
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am looking for a delrin flute, Rudall and Rose design, small holes. Hope someone from this site can help me.

Somers Flute?

Post by davidbruce »

I have been looking for some time for a Delrin flute. I have a checklist, which includes medium to small holes, medium to narrow bore, Rudall style, under $500. This will become my camping/travelling flute. It seems to me that Gary Somers' flutes tick all the boxes. Does anyone know whether Gary is still making flutes?

I have tried to find a used one, but with no luck. I guess people who have them are hanging on to them.

Are there others I should consider? Damian Thompson? others?

Thanks
Bruce
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Somers Flute?

Post by kkrell »

Per Mr. Somers, as of a Nov. 2020 post on C&F:
Having just seen this thread, I thought I'd better let people know that due to unforeseen circumstances, I will not be making flutes for the next few months. Thanks to all for the kindly recommendations but I will not be taking any more orders for now and my website willl be going off-line. I will let people know when I'm back up and running again.

Garry
Lacking access to him, try Damian Thompson or Vincenzo Di Mauro (Ireland). Dave Copley (USA), based on a Hawkes, though.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
D Mc

Post by D Mc »

You will most definitely want to look at the Copley delrin flutes. An excellent flute by any standard.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

I've not been as active on the forum of late, so I don't know how often you've been doing this, but I'd encourage you to keep posting WTB now and again. You never know.
Lozq
Tell us something.: Player of flutes, drinker of wine, reader of books and fancier of anything old and dusty. I lived in a hammock for several years. Surely this is enough characters???

Post by Lozq »

I purchased a Somers flute through Hobgoblin a few years ago, although I just checked their website and it seems they're currently out of stock. It might be worth your while giving them a call and asking if they don't have one squirelled away somewhere?
Scouter
Tell us something.: I am a musician and love folk instruments. I am learning about penny whistles and Irish flutes. I play many instruments but one of my main instruments for many years has been oboe. This makes learning the whistle and flute rather easy. Now to learn about best practices for the genre.

Post by Scouter »

Hi Bruce,

My new GLP came last week and I was thinking of rehoming my Somers flute. Interested?

I am in the Southern U.S.

Scouter
pixyy
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

also Francois Baubet (IRL) makes an excellent delrin flute that could match your checklist.
Played one for many years myself!
MKE_Chris

Post by MKE_Chris »

It looks like Michael Cronnolly is still making his M&E polymer flutes. They're inexpensive, patterned after Rudalls, and I find them responsive and easy to play.

https://www.mandeirishflutes.ie/

I have both an M&E and a Somers, they're both great but given Garry's situation M&E might be easier to get ahold of at the moment.
Jeggy
Tell us something.: Started playing trad about 25 years ago with tin whistles, and bought first flute about 20 years ago. Played very sporadically, with very little discipline or tuition and unsurprisingly made little progress. Started playing again a couple of years ago after not playing much for 15-16 years.

Post by Jeggy »

pixyy wrote:also Francois Baubet (IRL) makes an excellent delrin flute that could match your checklist.
Played one for many years myself!
Agreed. I play it more than any other flute because I can play throughout the day, which suits my work life, without having to set up and break down the wooden flutes. I find it an absolute joy to play.
davidbruce
Tell us something.: I am looking for a delrin flute, Rudall and Rose design, small holes. Hope someone from this site can help me.

Post by davidbruce »

Thanks for all the responses so far. Some people, on this forum and others, have recommended Copley. Can anyone comment on the air requirements of a Copley flute?
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

davidbruce wrote:Thanks for all the responses so far. Some people, on this forum and others, have recommended Copley. Can anyone comment on the air requirements of a Copley flute?
Great flutes, nothing unusual about the air requirements, pretty middle of the road in that respect.

I’ve owned a bunch of polymer flutes: Seery, M&E, John Gallagher, Aebi, Watson, Baubet, Forbes.... you get the idea. I still have some of them, but the Copley is the one I’d recommend first and foremost - plays well, sounds good, in tune, great value for the money, very reasonable delivery times, impeccable customer service, and they are very, very consistently good flutes, which is definitely not true of all the makers......what more can you ask? The Gallagher and Watson flutes are very nice too, but will cost you 3-4 times as much and the wait will be far longer as well.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Second. A friend of mine, a relative newbie,
played for me yesterday my Copley delrin flute (bottom of the line), which I often use
busking. Gee it sounds beautiful, and even better at a distance than under my ear.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Forgot to mention I’ve owned a Somers flute as well. Also nice flutes. I will say I found the embouchure cut rather different on the Somers though: Plays like a lot of Murrays where you have to either roll the headjoint or blow at a different angle than most other flutes. It’s not a bad thing per say, but it’s the one flute I’ve played that made switching between flutes awkward, unless your main flute is a Murray, in which case the Somers might be the best fit.

Also forgot to mention that the Copley is more compact than any of the other polymer flutes I’ve owned or played.
cac
Tell us something.: Simple system wooden flutes, keyed and keyless. xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx

Post by cac »

To answer davidbruce's query about the air requirements of a Copley delrin flute: I would say definitely less than the air required for most makers' Pratten style flutes and slightly less or nearly the same (I don't have both at hand to compare them) as a Somers Rudall-Rose model. (I own both a Forbes Pratten-style and a Somers RR-style but have played Copleys at workshops; all three are fine flutes, but the Forbes takes significantly more air to drive.)
BKWeid
Tell us something.: I really enjoy the information and experience from the members on this forum. I've learned so much from the long time members about ITM, flutes, and whistles in general. I also enjoy the humor and culture. Instrument reviews have been helpful and the posts on embouchure are priceless. As I generally don't get out to sessions, the information from this board is my only connection at times to the music.

Post by BKWeid »

David Bruce, you can’t go wrong with any of the delrin flutes discussed. I own a Somers and Forbes currently. Both are very good flutes and I always have one in my car to bust out when I have a moment. I’ve played and owned Copley’s flutes, also very good. I didn’t find any of those three to have noticeable air requirement. As Loren mentioned, the Somers does need a slightly different attack on embouchure, but is rewarding. Forbes is Prattenesque, but easy to play with great tone and growl. Copley, to me, is slightly ever so sweeter in the upper octave. I had intended to have one delrin flute, however, they are both so good, I couldn’t give one up.