Looking for a keyed flute!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Yelf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Looking for a keyed flute!

Post by Yelf »

Hello everyone

Ive been playing a keyless flute by Hammy Hamilton for the past 7-8 years and I really love it. Wanting to play more swedish trad and some other stuff leaves me wanting, keys!

Unfortunately mr Hamilton is not receiving new orders so Ill have to look somewhere else.

Im looking for a keyed flute with a deep vibrant sound, good session volume and a ready response (much like the Hamilton). Im aware of waiting lists and price tags. Im prepared to wait, and pay up, to get the right flute companion. Preferably Im looking for a flute maker inside the the EU.

What are your thoughts on this?

Cheers,
Leif
Last edited by Yelf on Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Looking for a keyed flute!

Post by Steampacket »

Har du sett den här Clementi med åtta klaffar? Priset är hyfsat och Haswell har ett bra rykte. Själv spelar jag på en Rudall & Rose köpte på en auktion. Gamla viktorianska flöjter kan vara utmärkta instrument.
https://www.arthurhaswell.co.uk/clement ... s-improved

Annars Solen Lesouf om du ska köpa nytt:
http://sosolaflute.com
Yelf

Post by Yelf »

Steampacket wrote:Har du sett den här Clementi med åtta klaffar? Priset är hyfsat och Haswell har ett bra rykte. Själv spelar jag på en Rudall & Rose köpte på en auktion. Gamla viktorianska flöjter kan vara utmärkta instrument.
https://www.arthurhaswell.co.uk/clement ... s-improved

Annars Solen Lesouf om du ska köpa nytt:
http://sosolaflute.com
Tack för tips! ;)

That Solen flute really had a nice sound to it. Maybe a bit more bright overtones then the Hamilton but still a very crisp, appealing sound. Worth concidering! Cheers!
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Of course you can always contact the best of the best Chris Wilkes!
http://wilkesflutes.co.uk/flutes.html
jenfen

Post by jenfen »

There is a used Stephane Morvan keyed flute for sale at the Irish Flute Store. If I could afford it, I'd certainly have bought it already.

https://www.irishflutestore.com/collect ... ey-pratten
bigsciota

Post by bigsciota »

You say you're willing to pay up, but if you're not quite ready to spend 3-4k Gil Lehart makes wonderful flutes and a 6-keyed one would only cost you around 1500 euro. He's in the EU and also doesn't have a super-long waiting list IIRC. My keyless Lehart would certainly fit your criteria for tone, volume, and responsiveness.
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

Hey Yelf,

Why not ask Hammy to put keys on the flute for you? Hammy can do post-mounted keys. Then you'd have your heart's desire. The worst is that he'll say "no." And if he does, Maurice Reviol, in New Zealand, is a well-respected key-maker and can do the job nicely. He put keys on a keyless flute for me some time ago and did a great job in a relatively short period of time.

Good luck.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
flutemaker

Post by flutemaker »

Hello,
I am not often here so it's more a coincidence that I saw that.

Perhaps a shameless plug, but I have a nice 6 keyed African blackwood flute here that I finished just recently. That comes with a nice Lichtenberg figure adorned wooden case that is a true sign of the times as it was made during lockdown. i don't usually have enough time to make cases, so, I am not sure if I will go down that route again...

I can also put keys on your Hammy Hamilton Flute, I did this before with his blessing. I think he simply wanted to retire after spending his entire life on flutes playing and making, but I haven't heard from him in a while.
Just flick me an email and I can send some pictures.

I tend to post pictures of things I am working on on Facebook and my website itself is now really outdated and should be in a museum for naughties websites.

you can check some pictures here:
www.facebook.com/Reviol.Woodwind.Instruments

and here's my email:
info@reviol.co.nz

Regards,
Maurice Reviol
john

Post by john »

Here's a keyed Rudall Rose flute restored by Tom Aebi.
Yelf

Post by Yelf »

Thank you all for the input. Putting keys on the one I have is not an option, can’t imagine not having a flute at hand. Putting myself on the waiting list for a Morvan or a Lesouf seems most tempting at the moment...

Keep em coming! :)
jenfen

Post by jenfen »

Hi Yelf,

I have a keyless Solen Lesouef Mopane flute, which I love. I'm not sure if her flutes fit the bill for a Hammy Hamilton sort of belter flute. Her flutes are based on Rudall models and are somewhat lightweight. I would characterize mine as being capable of a resonant tone, but not a belter. I recently got a new E-flat flute by Geert Lejeune. It's in Blackwood and, like all his smaller flutes, it's Pratten style. I'm not sure how much of this is down to its being an E-flat flute and/or being in Blackwood, but it is a little belter. The sound is easy and bright. It would project really, really well in a session setting.

My two cents!

Keep us posted on your decision!

Best,
Jennifer
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

I've not heard many Hammy's in my part of the world. Chicago seems flooded with Olwells. But one UK flute maker I've heard stand up to them quite well is a Glenn Watson. I was seriously thinking of getting on his list a couple of years ago, but started counting flutes in my cupboard. I don't know if the list is long, but a couple of years ago it was about a year.
Yelf

Post by Yelf »

jenfen wrote:Hi Yelf,

I have a keyless Solen Lesouef Mopane flute, which I love. I'm not sure if her flutes fit the bill for a Hammy Hamilton sort of belter flute. Her flutes are based on Rudall models and are somewhat lightweight. I would characterize mine as being capable of a resonant tone, but not a belter. I recently got a new E-flat flute by Geert Lejeune. It's in Blackwood and, like all his smaller flutes, it's Pratten style. I'm not sure how much of this is down to its being an E-flat flute and/or being in Blackwood, but it is a little belter. The sound is easy and bright. It would project really, really well in a session setting.

My two cents!

Keep us posted on your decision!

Best,
Jennifer
This is solid input and resonates well with my opinion. I am more interested in a ”belter” flute but at the same time I was mooved by the sparkling, light hearted qualities of the Lesouef flute.

You are not the first to recommend a Lejeune to fit my desires so I will af this to my list of prospects.

Thank you Jennifer!
Yelf

Post by Yelf »

busterbill wrote:I've not heard many Hammy's in my part of the world. Chicago seems flooded with Olwells. But one UK flute maker I've heard stand up to them quite well is a Glenn Watson. I was seriously thinking of getting on his list a couple of years ago, but started counting flutes in my cupboard. I don't know if the list is long, but a couple of years ago it was about a year.
I have only played one Olwell and that was indeed a top notch flute. Glad there are great luthiers on both sides of the pond. To many practical hindrances for me to go with an Olwell though.

Glenn Watson has been recommended to me before. I’ll check him out as well.

Thanks for the input!
Trevor Brown
Tell us something.: I am a professional multi-instrumentalist from Australia interested in wooden flutes. I am looking to buy an 8key Pratten as soon as possible

Post by Trevor Brown »

I am also looking,
an 8 key, with or without a Boehm style foot, modern pitch

price no object, looking at quality, but also availability(now or this year) ... am playing a old lower pitch 8 key, with a few tuning anomalies.
I've been a professional flutist for 35years, but just want to

Looking at Chris Normans, Ormistons, new or second hand... who wants to sell? :)