Self made cork bumper for a key?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
ertwert
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Self made cork bumper for a key?

Post by ertwert »

Hi,
recently I noticed that a key of my flute has lost its cork damper thing. I don't know the exact terminus :D I mean this cork thing that prevents that a key scratches the wood...
I would like to di this little repair by myself, because I think sending the instrument through multiple countries for such a mini repair is a bit over the top.

Could you suggest me an amazon link for cork that I could use for that? I have know idea what the "right" kind of cork is for that...my basic plan is to get some cork, cut into the form and glue it on the key.
Thanks for you help :)
LewisC
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: It is a beautiful day in the piedmont for playing a favorite boxwood simple-system flute. Is that enough typing to get to 100 characters?? Maybe not, just to make sure here is a bit more stuff from the keyboard ...

Re: Self made cork bumper for a key?

Post by LewisC »

Easy fix. Do you ever drink wine? From a bottle with a cork? Make sure the cork is real cork-tree bark and not some composite, or a bunch of ground up cork crumbs glued together in the shape of a cylinder.

Take the real cork and cut out the exact piece you need, then use a cement that is not permanent. Especially don't use super-duper-glue.

Alternately you can purchase sheets of cork on the internet and go from there.
L
Yogifluter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Yogifluter »

Below are some instructions Jem Hammond kindly provided to me a while back, I don't think he'd mind my sharing.

Tim

Here's how I renew them:
1) use a jeweller's screwdriver blade about the same width as the stud diameter to remove the old cork - just twizzle it with light pressure and clean out the hole nicely - don't damage the wood with a too-wide blade.
2) find some suitable cork - a slice off a good quality wine cork about 3mm thick will do.
3) use a leather-worker's belt hole punch or similar to cut suitable size cork plugs or chads from your piece or short of cork - use a suitably bent paperclip or similar to push the chad back out if the punch hole. Check you’ve got about the right size - something you have to ease into the hole rather than that drops in freely is good. Practice putting the stud in dry before....
4) put a dot of superglue into the hole in the flute (use a pointed probe of some sort - put a droplet of glue on the tip of the probe and use that to put the glue in the hole accurately).
5) press the cork chad into the hole, make sure it's right in and true, then quickly wipe away any excess glue pressed out. (Don't worry too much if there's glue left on the wood surface - let it dry and then use a not too sharp knife blade to scrape it away carefully without scraping the wood.)
6) use a razor blade to cut the new stud flat and level about 0.5-1mm above the tube surface and to trim any untidiness. Alternatively a scrap of medium grit sandpaper could serve.
ertwert
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ertwert »

Hi,
thanks for the suggestions so far! Somehow I did not think about just using cork form a wine bottle, good call!

My keys are not made form solid silver, but from silver plated brass - does someone know has to be considered? Would be unfortunate, if the plating could deteriorate due to some reaction with the glue.