how late can you start??

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
crofter
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm getting ready to retire. After retirement, I'll have more time, but less money, so I'm considering buying a 1/2 set of uilleann pipes while I still can. I figured this is probably a good place to get some pointers on a good (but not too expensive) set for a beginner.

how late can you start??

Post by crofter »

So how late in life can you start learning to play the fiddle? Anyone here started learning to play past the age of 50?

(I know... I know... You are supposed to start learning an instrument when you are a kid. It didn't happen.)
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: how late can you start??

Post by Peter Duggan »

As late as you like because you don't get another chance later!

When I was a music student many years ago I remember some friends' landlady being turned down by one cello teacher because she was 'too old' at 70-odd. Then my 80-something cello-teaching friend took her on! :-)
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Why I teach... and where
Master of nine?
whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

I don't buy the lie that only children can learn a new language or a musical instrument. It's simply not true.

Anyway, well, you can certainly start learning a minute before you die. Won't have much time to practice while you're here, but you can always take it up again later!
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
fatmac
Tell us something.: Flutes, fifes, whistles, chromatic harmonicas, tremolo harmonicas, ukuleles.

Why do some people have to write here, & others don't???

Post by fatmac »

Learning to play an instrument was my retirement project - need something to keep your mind active... :thumbsup:
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
LewisC
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by LewisC »

Go for it. Not a fiddle player here, but I started flute at 55 some time ago. I am now thinking harp might be a great next step to get the left hand doing different things like chords, that would be almost age 70.
L
PB+J
Tell us something.: Hello. I'm a historian and musician living near Washington DC. I play the bass and guitar and focus on jazz. I'm interested for reasons I can't quite explain in Irish music. I play the flute.

Post by PB+J »

I started flute two years ago, age 59. I'll never be a really good flute player, but I've come a long way and the challenge had been great. Frustrating, sure, but also stimulating and rewarding.

Wadda got to lose? Go for it