Apparently sea shanties are the new viral rage; leverage it?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Apparently sea shanties are the new viral rage; leverage

Post by kenny »

We had a guy who used to sing sea shanties at our local folk club. He was a helicopter pilot :)
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
TapTheForwardAssist
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play tinwhistle, Swedish bagpipe, Appalachian dulcimer, and Duet Concertina. Here to talk about 3D printing tinwhistle accessories, and get some ideas about tunes for tinwhistle in genres where it's less-commonly used.

Post by TapTheForwardAssist »

I'm pleased to say that my article at r/SeaShanties describing accessible and affordable ways to take up traditional sailor instruments is now live.

If anyone has any feedback or adjustments I should make, I'm all ears, and I've name-dropped this sub, so maybe we'll get a few curious visitors.

Taking up a traditional musical instrument to play sea shanties and sea songs (for total novices or experienced musicians)

https://www.reddit.com/r/seashanties/co ... rument_to/
RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Post by RoberTunes »

While not all sailor songs are shanties, some sailors sing songs, some play instruments, and sooner or later, people who aren't sailors or playing instruments, sing songs about the life of a sailor, or fishing, or travel, or being in love with strangers met on those great migrations that used to happen when people moved on from trouble, to new lives in new places. Perhaps it was a thing in port cities used as a kind of news service. Perhaps it was sometimes just fun. Take one of those "story" songs, refine it down to catch lines and a simple melody, and you've got yourself a shanty.

Here's an example. Of what, I'm not sure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITlOYuu3A9U
bigsciota

Post by bigsciota »

Glad there's some interest in it, at least, and hopefully some of the folks over on your sub will wander in here!

I'm a mod on r/AskHistorians, and we did see a bit of an uptick in sea shanty-related questions for a while. Reddit is both a wonderful and a terrible place for discourse, but I'm glad at least some sections of it are being put to good use!
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

kenny wrote:We had a guy who used to sing sea shanties at our local folk club. He was a helicopter pilot :)
Being a helicopter pilot and being on board ship at sea are not mutually exclusive occupations!

An old acquaintance got a job as a helicopter pilot on a huge fishing vessel that sailed out of Alaska- there was a helipad/helideck on the ship, his job was to fly around and spot the huge schools of fish, and direct the ship to them.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Ségnat
Tell us something.: I stumbled across the forum because I was trying to figure out something about how my Lochlan low D whistle was made.

Post by Ségnat »

Thank you. I was just coming to ask about this?
Flexismart
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.
I could open a music store if I didn't live in the back woods of Pennsylvania.

Post by Flexismart »

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I keep hearing that 2021 is "The Year of the Sea Shanty", but despite my glowing anticipation, people are still performing only The Wellerman (or parodies thereof), and nothing else. One tired song? Please. That's a meme, not a movement.

"I don't always sing sea shanties, but when I do, it's The Wellerman."
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

:lol:
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:I keep hearing that 2021 is "The Year of the Sea Shanty", but despite my glowing anticipation, people are still performing only The Wellerman (or parodies thereof), and nothing else. One tired song? Please. That's a meme, not a movement.

"I don't always sing sea shanties, but when I do, it's The Wellerman."
Yes. And, as I've said, it isn't even a sea shanty.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
TapTheForwardAssist
Tell us something.: I play tinwhistle, Swedish bagpipe, Appalachian dulcimer, and Duet Concertina. Here to talk about 3D printing tinwhistle accessories, and get some ideas about tunes for tinwhistle in genres where it's less-commonly used.

benhall.1 wrote: "I don't always sing sea shanties, but when I do, it's The Wellerman."
Yes. And, as I've said, it isn't even a sea shanty.[/quote]

I have noticed that people who are overall pleased about this but want to be more accurate have been saying "sea shanties and sea songs."

While Wellerman is the "Gangam Style" of the month, on places like r/seashanties on Reddit I do see the young kids covering and making memes about other sea songs like "Leave Her Johnny" or "Rolling Down to Old Maui" and the like, so it's not exclusively a one-hit wonder.

Fundamentally, however briefly, this involves more people enjoying trad music on at least some level, so thus far I'm still chalking it firmly in the "W" column.
Last edited by TapTheForwardAssist on Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

fatmac wrote:Sea Shanty...... ? :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW8Wrs-MDoY
That was much better than I thought it was going to be! Nice-sounding pipes, well in tune, and good playing.

By the way I used to play in a band that did Drunken Sailor as sort of a crowd-pleaser singalong and I would play this polka behind it, functioning like a descant:

Riding On A Load Of Hay https://thesession.org/tunes/1239#setting40402

I just now added my setting of that tune, the way I learned it 40 years ago, and a better setting I think than the ones already there.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

TapTheForwardAssist wrote:the "W" column
I'm afraid I'm unfamiliar with the term.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
TapTheForwardAssist

Nanohedron wrote:
TapTheForwardAssist wrote:the "W" column
I'm afraid I'm unfamiliar with the term.
Ah, meaning "I mark a sheet of paper with 'Wins' and 'Losses', and when I notate the event I'm referring to, I will write it down under the 'Win' category because I think, all things considered, it's a positive thing."

A related but opposing expression of the same metaphor is "take the L", meaning "accept that you have lost the competition in this instance."