What are they and what to do with them

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Glenarley
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: My family has been making pipes and reeds for over 25 years both Uillean and GHB. I am being asked to share pass on information on to other pipers in this open environment.

What are they and what to do with them

Post by Glenarley »

Hi
I got these in a box with a C clarinet that I wanted to buy
The previous owner died in 1914 and the clarinet is dated 1889

https://imgshare.io/image/img2021.NVjQ8Y
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: What are they and what to do with them

Post by fatmac »

Piccolos.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Someone with more expertise will chime in soon I expect, but they look like a range of keys from (top to bottom) d, Bb, F, and D. Depending on the nomenclature used, the upper ones could be called piccolos, the lower ones flutes. Most, if not all, were potentially played in flute bands.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Glenarley
Tell us something.: My family has been making pipes and reeds for over 25 years both Uillean and GHB. I am being asked to share pass on information on to other pipers in this open environment.

Post by Glenarley »

Thanks for your replies

Someone told me fifes but I could not find them under that name but under piccolos I have found an exact match for the ebony and ivory model. 1900 circa German and that would be consistent with the date on the C clarinet.

They were at a deceased estate garage sale and I was interested in the C clarinet because my boy plays the clarinet in the orchestra. The box lot was for $250 and while I was looking at the clarinet a lady came along and tried to gazump me so, as you do, I got into a bidding war and ended up paying $750 for the lot.

I would have paid that for the clarinet if it was in a store because it was pristine and even at a garage sale, a name brand 1889 ABW C clarinet pristine with 2 spare ABW mouthpieces was worth at least $400+.

I now have these piccolos gathering dust and was at a loss because we don't play them.

Do people still even play them and are they useful? The third one in the pic has 2 keys missing but all the others are complete and the ebony is in great condition.

Thanks for any assistance.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

You could attempt to sell them here in the used instrument exchange or you could just ebay them. I would assume they are not in working condition. But maybe they are. Tiny and not so tiny cracks are common as well as keys that stick and no longer seal. These are things easily repaired most times. But clear pictures of each defect as well as the good parts will make for happier buyers. If you don't know the key each is in or if you are making a good guess, just say so in your listing. Measurements will help. There are many people who buy these to restore or collect. You could list them as simple system piccolos or fifes and put in your story. Simple system is a term for the type of keywork and body shape that was popular before Boehm started making flutes most commonly seen today. Sometimes there are names printed on the wood that will tell you who the maker is. Sometimes not. Note that too. I'd list them separately.

Perhaps you will end up getting that Clarinet for free.

If you actually have a C clarinet, rather than a Bb clarinet it could be a bit of an oddity. Wikipedia is telling me C clarinets became obsolete around the turn of the century. But there seem to be quite a few of them listed on ebay as well. Some at pretty good prices.

Good luck to you.
Glenarley

Post by Glenarley »

Thanks for your reply busterbill

The third smallest is missing a couple of keys but the other 3 all work fine and are playable. There are no visible cracks to speak of and even the ivory has no crazing. My son showed them to his music teacher and she is a pretty good flute player and she figured out the scales ok so she may know the pitch also.

I could list them as you suggest but it would sit well with me if someone that could use them was keen. The C clarinet is old but I bought it for my boy because the pitch grabs you as it is not what you expect to hear. Bit of a novelty really I suppose and it cost very little in time and money to replace the springs and pads..

Cheers

G
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

I have come across people playing C clarinets at 'folk music workshops' where scores are available. So they can use the same dots as everyone else. Tutors seemed to appreciate it.