Recommendations: Whistle Fipple Replacement

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
littlejohngael
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Recommendations: Whistle Fipple Replacement

Post by littlejohngael »

So, my first low whistle -- a bazillion years ago -- was a Kerry Low D, the one Kerry Whistles no longer makes (see pic below). KW no longer makes the fipple for this whistle, but it's past its prime and leaks air like nobody's business. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any success with a fipple replacement for this particular whistle. Seems a shame to let it go to waste.

Regards,

Little John
//a.k.a. LittleJohnGael

*edited to remove extraneous code
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Re: Recommendations: Whistle Fipple Replacement

Post by Narzog »

I've seen people interchange whistle heads and bodies before if they are the right size. so it may be possible to find another head that fits. But normally that means buying another whistle to get the head, which at that point you dont really need the old body. But if you could find a whistle with removable head that fit you could get it in a different key and then when you want pull the head off and put it on your Kerry d body.

It could also be possible to repair this head if you wanted to save it. Depending on the issue. But theres 'non toxic when cured' epoxy's you can fix any cracks with, and you could use teflon tape or other things to fix and air leaking where it connects to the body.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

As above, many ways to cure air leaks, where does yours?
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
TxWhistler
Tell us something.: I have recently retired and have always wanted to learn to play a musical instrument. I'm leaning to play the whistle and now the flute.

Post by TxWhistler »

Narzog wrote:It could also be possible to repair this head if you wanted to save it. Depending on the issue. But theres 'non toxic when cured' epoxy's you can fix any cracks with, and you could use teflon tape or other things to fix and air leaking where it connects to the body.
I agree with Narzog's suggestion. Where is it leaking the air? A crack in the head, loose fit between the body and the head, or both?
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Another question is, is that top worth saving?

I ask because I had that same whistle many years ago and the 2nd octave was very flat.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

I think that is a standard size alloy tube. I switched the head of my Kerry Optima F for the head of a low D "Qwistle" but I think that Donald Lindsay, the maker of the Qwistle, is still on sabbatical from whistle making. A real shame IMO as his whistles are amazing.
rykirk
Tell us something.: I am a piper and guitarist who has taken up the whistle and flute. Mostly interested in and playing Scottish baroque and trad.

Post by rykirk »

If the leak is just the fit between the head and the tube I'd just hit it with a few wraps of plumbers tape. If the head itself is cracked, I'd get some quick cure two part epoxy glue and fill the crack with that. Not sure what else could go wrong on it besides those two things.
littlejohngael
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

Thank you all for your input. I've used plumber's tape and even some putty to seal it, but then the air comes out from the blowing end of the fipple. I've tried to seal that as well, but it never stays sealed long.