Ayriway whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
stiofan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Ayriway whistles

Post by stiofan »

Just ran across this Argentinian maker who makes whistles with metal bodies (probably brass and nickel, but perhaps aluminum alloy, too) with wooden heads. He offers an option for ergonomic hole patterns, and also makes quenas, moseños, and NAF-style flutes.
https://ayriway.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I-8FZeIRdg
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Ayriway whistles

Post by pancelticpiper »

About the YouTube you linked to, I really like the sound, a classic whistle sound to my ear.

I was expecting a NAF tone, given the other things he makes.

Too bad he has so much reverb on it.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

pancelticpiper wrote:About the YouTube you linked to, I really like the sound, a classic whistle sound to my ear.

I was expecting a NAF tone, given the other things he makes.

Too bad he has so much reverb on it.
Yeah, I like the sound too, but I can't figure out if it's actually the whistle or just the reverb.

He has another video of him playing whistle, also with reverb, in which one of the comments accuses him of adding the reverb to mask bad sound. In that case he says he was playing in a place with naturally a lot of reverb and that that video isn't meant to "sell" the sound of the whistle and it's just for fun (also, that whistle is made of clear acrylic-- Ghost Whistle look out, lol!-- so not an example of something he has for sale, anyway). He also says he has other videos, but those are the only two I saw with high whistle (he also has a couple with low whistle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUiEXiPqHMg and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxb7QvieDbc).
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

In that one with the clear whistle it seems like the high notes are harsh. You can hear a lot of traffic sounds, like he's in a parking garage building. True that it could be natural reverb there, in his home I do wonder.

On the first Low Whistle video he never ventures into the higher notes but it seems to have a classic Low Whistle sound.

On the second Low Whistle video it's a raspy noisy tone I don't care for. That's an odd whistle for sure!
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

pancelticpiper wrote:In that one with the clear whistle it seems like the high notes are harsh. You can hear a lot of traffic sounds, like he's in a parking garage building. True that it could be natural reverb there, in his home I do wonder.

On the first Low Whistle video he never ventures into the higher notes but it seems to have a classic Low Whistle sound.

On the second Low Whistle video it's a raspy noisy tone I don't care for. That's an odd whistle for sure!
I noticed on the clear whistle that a lot of the higher notes seem to break into the lower octave... not sure if that's him or the instrument. I don't know if I'd think the higher notes would sound harsh to me without that. Hard to tell as much of an instrument having what I would describe as a "sharp" sound (not in pitch, just in sound quality-- what I might describe as narrow and pointed) can also have to do with the recording equipment...

Re: his location, he says it's a living room (? "salón") that's entirely empty, with a front entirely of glass (on the left side of the screen I think that's a mirror, seems you can see the reflection of what could be a window). It sounds very large for a living room, though, so I'm not sure I'm translating correctly??
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I noticed on the clear whistle that a lot of the higher notes seem to break into the lower octave... not sure if that's him or the instrument
I noticed the same in the High whistle demo video on his website ( this one and watching it again retrieving the link I realise it's probably the same video you're talking about).

My thinking is that if a maker can't, or can't be bothered to, make a whistle sound its best in a demo, how can you expect anyone else to make it play well? I lost interest there and then.
My brain hurts

Oisincooke

Post by Oisincooke »

All other things aside, I really don't care for the look of those whistles. The big fat wooden head on the skinny metal body just looks wrong to me.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The big fat wooden head on the skinny metal body just looks wrong
Yes, there's that too but it's hardly the first whistle with a wooden head on a metal tube that appears top heavy.

Love it too how he classes the various ranges as 'tin, alto and low' :P
My brain hurts

Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
I noticed on the clear whistle that a lot of the higher notes seem to break into the lower octave... not sure if that's him or the instrument
I noticed the same in the High whistle demo video on his website ( this one and watching it again retrieving the link I realise it's probably the same video you're talking about).

My thinking is that if a maker can't, or can't be bothered to, make a whistle sound its best in a demo, how can you expect anyone else to make it play well? I lost interest there and then.
To be fair, A. that's not a model he sells, and B. he does say in the comments that he made the video just for fun, so, it's not really a demo so I'll give him that one. I suspect the one that actually is a demo, though, does have artificial reverb added, so as I said, I feel like I don't really know what the whistle sounds like to be able to tell if I might want one.

Oisincooke wrote:All other things aside, I really don't care for the look of those whistles. The big fat wooden head on the skinny metal body just looks wrong to me.
I'm not that fond of the "wooden head/metal body" thing anyway, but, it would be the sound that matters more to me anyway.
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

I'm not sure it's a whistle I would buy either for all the reasons you all have brought up, but there sure are a lot of makers trying different approaches to whistlemaking – and marketing, I suppose, too. For those in South America, it's sure a more affordable option than Clover whistles, though almost certainly not close to the quality of David Furman's craftsmanship.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

To be fair, A. that's not a model he sells, and B. he does say in the comments that he made the video just for fun, so, it's not really a demo so I'll give him that one.
I saw the video through his main whistle page. There are two videos there, one for 'tin' and one for 'low' whistle. Hard not to take those as intended as demo videos.
My brain hurts

Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
To be fair, A. that's not a model he sells, and B. he does say in the comments that he made the video just for fun, so, it's not really a demo so I'll give him that one.
I saw the video through his main whistle page. There are two videos there, one for 'tin' and one for 'low' whistle. Hard not to take those as intended as demo videos.
Those I would, yes. That's not the same video as is on his Youtube channel, though. Possibly/probably the same whistle, but not the video I was referring to. OTOH, why he has a "demo" video up for a whistle he doesn't even offer for sale is beyond me.
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.