Inexpensive conical whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Squeakie
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Inexpensive conical whistles

Post by Squeakie »

Hi, just wondering what are the choices for conical bore whistles under 50 dollar American.
Clarke and Shaw is what I am aware of. Also Colonial Williamsburg which I’ve read are terrible if memory serves me right, but correct me if I’m wrong.
I see vintage Japanese ones once in a while and Calura (spelling?) are they worth a try, or more of a collector thing?
I do have Megs and Sweetones, but do not have anything with a wooden block in the fipple and would like to give it a try. I do like the breathy tone of my hideously neon green Sweetone quite a bit, plus it plays a little softer.

I was also wondering if there is a hack to put some other type of block into the fipple, to avoid black mold. Hard rubber? Cork? I have a cheapo bamboo flute with a cork block that works quite well. I’ve never had a mold issue with it as cork is naturally mold resistant.

I understand that there is basically no way to tune a one piece conical style whistle, other than possibly taping the holes, extending the tube, or maybe a bit of putty. But as long as it’s in tune with itself, I think it would be fine as I play in the woodshed. Actually the garage, but seeing as there’s a wood stove in there for heat and a pile of wood, I can literally say, “I play in the woodshed.”
Thank you, Lisa
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Re: Inexpensive conical whistles

Post by Katharine »

I find my Clarke Original is rather breathy and a bit quieter than many of my other whistles. But, it also takes more air.

I have never had an issue with mold on the block. Even when this whistle lived with me in Thailand, and I did have some mold issues in my apartment there (I just didn't run the AC enough to get the humidity out of the air sometimes).
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Katharine wrote:I find my Clarke Original is rather breathy and a bit quieter than many of my other whistles. But, it also takes more air.

The current Clarke output is pretty poorly made/designed. The arch of the windway makes them highly inefficient. A whistle with a straight, well formed windway, like the one below, is a much better option. Takes a little bit more skill and effort to make though.

My brain hurts

Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
Katharine wrote:I find my Clarke Original is rather breathy and a bit quieter than many of my other whistles. But, it also takes more air.

The current Clarke output is pretty poorly made/designed. The arch of the windway makes them highly inefficient. A whistle with a straight, well formed windway, like the one below, is a much better option. Takes a little bit more skill and effort to make though.

I know, but that's not a tweak I'm comfortable making (more like, attempting to make), so I just deal with it.
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

That wasn't a tweak, really. Just a better made whistle of the type.You can't really rework a Clarke into becoming like that whistle.
My brain hurts

Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Mr.Gumby wrote:That wasn't a tweak, really. Just a better made whistle of the type.You can't really rework a Clarke into becoming like that whistle.
No, you can't, but some people do try to flatten the windway on the Clarkes and Shaws... which I've heard works if done absolutely perfectly (and if you can get the block to stay put) but is easy to mess up... I will never be that brave!
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
Squeakie

Post by Squeakie »

Thank you for the responses, I appreciate it.
I was able to get home for a brief time today and was able to retrieve most of my whistles. I am sheltering in place at my 85 year old mother-in-law's home taking care of both her and my own 91 year old mother. It's been kind of tough. I had to quit my job and move about an hour away from my own home because her house was big enough to accommodate the three of us. I don't get home very often. It's the first time I have been home in 2 months.
Anyhow, I happened to find a wood block whistle which I got with a group lot of other whistles that I purchased. I forgot I had it and I don't recall ever even trying to play it because of the way the block is.
To my surprise, it plays quite well and is in really good tune. There are no maker marks on it and I'm thinking perhaps it is a cooperman or colonial Williamsburg type of tourist whistle. I can't get over how nice it sounds. It shouldn't made any sounds, let alone good ones, lol.
So, for your viewing pleasure, the funky whistle.
ecadre
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by ecadre »

Katharine wrote:
Mr.Gumby wrote:That wasn't a tweak, really. Just a better made whistle of the type.You can't really rework a Clarke into becoming like that whistle.
No, you can't, but some people do try to flatten the windway on the Clarkes and Shaws... which I've heard works if done absolutely perfectly (and if you can get the block to stay put) but is easy to mess up... I will never be that brave!
The top of the windway on Shaw whistles is already flat. In fact the block on Shaw whistles these days is made to keep it flat.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

ecadre wrote:
Katharine wrote:
The top of the windway on Shaw whistles is already flat. In fact the block on Shaw whistles these days is made to keep it flat.
That's good to know-- I thought I'd seen people mentioning that they had the same design as the Clarkes.
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

On the note of shaw whistles, has anyone here used them and whats your opinion? I was looking them up a while back because they are affordable, and just look cool. But from my research I read that the tuning/intonation and air req might be questionable. So I'm curious for more (and more reliable) info on them.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Squeakie wrote:Hi, just wondering what are the choices for conical bore whistles

I was also wondering if there is a hack to put some other type of block into the fipple,

I understand that there is basically no way to tune a one piece conical style whistle,
Thank you, Lisa
Tommy makes conical whistles from copper tube and black or white pvc with delrin fipple. They are tunable with a moveable head on the tone tube.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086&start=0
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Squeakie

Post by Squeakie »

Narzog wrote:On the note of shaw whistles, has anyone here used them and whats your opinion? I was looking them up a while back because they are affordable, and just look cool. But from my research I read that the tuning/intonation and air req might be questionable. So I'm curious for more (and more reliable) info on them.
Me too. I’d like to hear about Shaw whistles. I’m going to do a search here on the forum and see if there are any current reviews.

On another note, I bought two more used Cooperman cheap tourist whistles. One was silver colored, the other appeared nearly black, so i was curious and purchased them. They arrived the other day. The silver toned one is the same as i posted above, except this one is unplayable. I’ll probably try and tweak it since it can’t get any worse.
The dark one, on the other hand, is quite good. So good in fact, i’ve Been playing it almost exclusively since it arrived! It’s slightly different than my other two cooperman’s in construction. The crimp dots on the sides holding the block in are different than the other two Cooperman whistles I have. The block is set properly. Other than the crimp dots and color, it’s identical to the Coopermans. It’s in tune using my TE Tuner app on my iPad
(I highly recommend this iPad app, it has many settings, wind-brass-or voice, intonation, fine/pro to broad/beginner, analysis, etc)
Anyhow, the silvery paint or coating is worn off except for a stripe down the crimp seam on the back, so it’s mostly dark brown with a few rust spots just starting up. I’m going to ask for advice about that and start another thread.
It’s got a slightly airy tone, but not much, just a touch. It is smooth and velvety sounding in the low range, sweet and birdlike in the upper, but not shrill. It doesn’t have that ocarina, hollow tone that some Sweetone’s seem to have. I love my Sweetone’s, but they sound very different from a straight tube to my ears. It’s so hard to describe tone.... anyhow, i’m Rather in love with it right now. The c natural is best with half holing the top hole, it’s still a little scratchy. Otherwise, I can’t complain about anything.

Lisa
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Narzog wrote:On the note of shaw whistles, has anyone here used them and whats your opinion? I was looking them up a while back because they are affordable, and just look cool. But from my research I read that the tuning/intonation and air req might be questionable. So I'm curious for more (and more reliable) info on them.
I have only had one Shaw Bb whistle. I think they are made from stainless steel, ''chromium, nickel, silicon, manganese, nitrogen and carbon''. Some people shorten the name to just nickel.
I bought mine preowned which is a good way to try other whistles. Some will be keepers.
My Shaw Bb had a large wind way and required a lot of air. I managed to flatten the exit a bit and make it more air consumption efficient. It did not bend easily! But was worth the effort. I found it to play breathy, which is good for some tunes and some not. It was not a keeper for me.
I do have a few Clark and Cooperman for playing breathy tunes. Their metal is thin and easy enough to adjust.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

Tommy wrote:
I have only had one Shaw Bb whistle. I think they are made from stainless steel, ''chromium, nickel, silicon, manganese, nitrogen and carbon''. Some people shorten the name to just nickel.
I bought mine preowned which is a good way to try other whistles. Some will be keepers.
My Shaw Bb had a large wind way and required a lot of air. I managed to flatten the exit a bit and make it more air consumption efficient. It did not bend easily! But was worth the effort. I found it to play breathy, which is good for some tunes and some not. It was not a keeper for me.
I do have a few Clark and Cooperman for playing breathy tunes. Their metal is thin and easy enough to adjust.
Thanks for the info!
paddler

Post by paddler »

Tommy wrote: I have only had one Shaw Bb whistle. I think they are made from stainless steel, ''chromium, nickel, silicon, manganese, nitrogen and carbon''. Some people shorten the name to just nickel.
The Shaw whistles I have seen are made from Nickel Silver (sometimes called German Silver, Nickel Brass, ... or just Nickel) not stainless steel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_silver