Promises Broken

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Charles Montgomery
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Looking for advice on Celtic Flutes and other instruments. I amuse myself playing the Boehm Flute, Bamboo, and a few antique flutes that I have found. I am retiring soon from my career as a consultant in the Energy Industry. Chiff and Fipple looks interesting. Some day I would try to play the Uillienn Pipes but these look hard and complex. I sang Baritone in the choir at my church (Unitarian) in Providence before the Pandemic hit.

Re: Promises Broken

Post by Charles Montgomery »

Well now FederalX says the tracking is through a phone app called Shop. Thank you for comments. I'll have to heck to see if the time zones thing is correct.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

"Thank you for comments. I'll have to heck to see if the time zones thing is correct." C. M.
I think if can just be patient your flute will come. The flute maker has shown you a FED-Ex document. You ordered your flute in late October, and it looks like it will be delivered in time for Xmas. I think that's pretty good. You could always buy a couple of flute CDs, with a note that a flute has been ordered, to give your child. Just in case the flute isn't delivered in time for Xmas because of the general corona/post chaos we're experiencing just now.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Steampacket wrote:You could always buy a couple of flute CDs, with a note that a flute has been ordered, to give your child.
Such as?
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

I'm still wondering who's making Irish flutes in Santa Cruz, CA
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Such as? kkrell
Feochán / Robert Harvey
Flute and fiddle / Caoimhin O Fearghail & Paddy Tutty
The home ruler / Catherine McEvoy
For example. There are many to choose from, the above three are available on Amazon USA, both as CD and mp3. You could also buy them from Custy's or Na Piobaire Uilleann. Charles, I sense you are probably a republican, do you really believe in what that old reality star in the White House tells you?
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Steampacket wrote:You could always buy a couple of flute CDs, with a note that a flute has been ordered, to give your child.
kkrell wrote:Such as?
There's a great series called "The Wooden Flute Obsession". Three volumes, 6 CDs with a wide range of players, styles and tunes.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

I don't understand-- what is "a Brooklyn prima donna?"

Somebody like Patrick Olwell? He's from Brooklyn and he wears funny tutus.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
Charles Montgomery
Tell us something.: Looking for advice on Celtic Flutes and other instruments. I amuse myself playing the Boehm Flute, Bamboo, and a few antique flutes that I have found. I am retiring soon from my career as a consultant in the Energy Industry. Chiff and Fipple looks interesting. Some day I would try to play the Uillienn Pipes but these look hard and complex. I sang Baritone in the choir at my church (Unitarian) in Providence before the Pandemic hit.

Who is Patrick Olwell? Never heard of him.
Conical bore

Post by Conical bore »

Charles Montgomery wrote:Who is Patrick Olwell? Never heard of him.
You might want to try the search function on this forum, it's useful.

Between this and the comment in the other thread about calling Casey Burns at 5am or 6am local time and how he was incredibly rude, I have to wonder if this isn't just trolling the forum.
Charles Montgomery

I am not trawling the forum. I actually got an encouraging note from FedEx that the package should be here sometime next week. I'll call that maker first thing tomorrow morning to report this.
david_h

Post by david_h »

Charles Montgomery wrote:I'll call that maker first thing tomorrow morning to report this.
Won’t the maker have the tracking reference as well? If he needs to know progress, at the weekend, can’t he check for himself?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I'll call that maker first thing tomorrow morning
:lol:

I am sure he'll love that..
My brain hurts

Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

If you're serious about calling the west coast from RI "first thing" on a Sunday morning (again), you might be very careful about opening the package when it arrives. I live close enough to RI that I might even experience the fall-out.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

Looks like it will end well. I can only hope the maker packaged the flute well...I have come to always expect the worst with FedEx.
Amanda S
Tell us something.: I have always wondered what in earth a Fipple could possible be? So, in an effort to find out... I thought it prudent to join a community forum and pursue the matter. And to be honest, I'am not exactly sure what a Chiff is either. Hopefully, by this time tomorrow I will finally know?!

Post by Amanda S »

in this day and age if that is the worst thing that happens to somebody... they lead a charmed life