embouchure hole shape

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
leydog
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I first encountered C&F almost 20 years ago when I became interested in learning to play the whistle. I renewed that interest this year, with the help of the resources on YouTube. In addition to dedicating serious time to the whistle, I also decided to invest in learning to play the flute. Tired of hoping others would ask the questions I have, I decided it was time to join the discussion/session, rather than continue sitting on the sideline with my flute/whistle on my lap, so to speak. So I ask permission to make my contribution.

embouchure hole shape

Post by leydog »

I was looking at F flutes for my next purchase and a couple of sites offer a choice of embouchure hole cuts--elliptical, round, squared ellipse. I have been playing for about a year. I currently play a folk flute by Casey Burns and love it. He describes his embouchure cut as "ovoid." I've also read reviews of some makers who are described as making excellent embouchures.

So, what are the differences, besides the appearance, between the different embouchure shapes and sizes? And what should I consider when shopping for a flute, especially since I am not able to try them out in person?

There certainly are more things in flute playing, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Thanks, as always, for your instruction and advice.

JR
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: embouchure hole shape

Post by fatmac »

All of my flutes are ovoid in shape, & I think this makes them easier to play.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

Hammy's articles are interesting. One thing I got from them is that a wide variety of embouchure holes work fine. But, that a great embouchure cut is a thing of art and experience.

I have finally (5 years) reached the point where I feel can get a good tone from my flutes, including several different styles/embouchures. All of them are more or less "easy" to play now, but for the longest time I had difficulty, or inconsistent success. Specifically, my antique American flute (Firth family of flutes) required more "focus" that I was able to achieve, while my modern Gallagher was more generous and easy.

Achieving focus, playing third register notes, and exercising fine motor control eventually resulted in success. I think the final benefit came from working on several different flutes.

I believe that playing on the more difficult flute actually was a benefit.
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

I'm far from an embouchure expert, but I can say that my bad $30 bamboo flute I got a while back, and I've never been able to play second octave on it. Vs My Dixon 1 piece that I can, and my David Angus flute that plays the best of the 3. All embouchure holes look "similar" at first glance (they are all more circular, the dixon a bit longer). But theres obviously more going on that I can see. So yes, a good embouchure cut is definitely an artform I cant quite comprehend.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

The difference among round, oval, and squared is largely in how forgiving and powerful they are. Peter Noy once lent me a flute with both Rudall- (oval) and Boehm- (squared) cut embouchures. I also play a few baroque flutes, which has a small almost-round embouchure and (poorly) renaissance flutes, with round embouchure.

The ren flute is definitely an entity unto itself, and the baroque/rococo flute is a very different beast from the later classical and romantic flute. That said, the bigger the embouchure, the bigger the sound. And the sound is largely made by the part that's really perpendicular to the air stream, so even with the same area, a squared cut will have a bigger sound than the oval.

The Noy flute allowed me to make a direct comparison, as it was two headjoints on a single flute. I loved the power of the Boehm cut. The sound was pure, rich, and loud. I also felt like it facilitated the third octave a bit. OTOH, I found the Rudall MUCH more flexible sound-wise. I could get the same pure sound out of it as I could the Boehm cut, but could also get a variety of timbres from it. That's what I opted for.

The other thing is that it seemed to me that the Boehm cut allowed for a much sloppier embouchure. It's definitely true when going from a baroque embouchure to the larger Rudall oval, and my impression from a week is that the same is true going from the oval to the squared cut.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.