Chip and Fiffle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Katharine
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Re: Chip and Fiffle

Post by Katharine »

Nanohedron wrote:
RoberTunes wrote:... establishments serving locally prepared chips and fiffle ...
And I have discovered the fiffle!

A fishwaffle. :wink:
And now I want taiyaki...

stiofan wrote:
katharine wrote:It's their knowledge of the instrument that I would be concerned about with this error. It would be like expecting me to take piano lessons from someone who has a website that labels the keys incorrectly, or violin lessons from someone whose site doesn't know which strings the instrument has.
A valid concern, though I'm pretty sure the whistle tutorials were all done by Kirsten Allstaff, an accomplished whistle/flute player herself (and a cofounder of OAIM), but I'm not so sure how much she's involved with the site at this point. Matthew Curley, her husband, according to the About page, "brought the technical know-how."
That is my assumption as I know the site is well-regarded, but if I didn't know them from Adam? I'd be turned off.
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
bigsciota

Post by bigsciota »

Nanohedron wrote:I wonder if OAIM has taken note of the email that bigsciota sent to them.
I have yet to receive a reply, and the page is unchanged, so probably not.
Greenfire
Tell us something.: I'm learning how to play the whistle, maybe one day I can branch out to another instrument. I'd love to learn the pipes, but I can only afford a whistle!

Post by Greenfire »

Yesterday I directed someone here who is looking for a whistle a member has for sale, and had to correct from chip and fiffle, after I noticed my typo.
RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Post by RoberTunes »

Greenfire wrote:Yesterday I directed someone here who is looking for a whistle a member has for sale, and had to correct from chip and fiffle, after I noticed my typo.
It's starting. There's no vaccine. Watch out for Irish music bands playing waffles and poker FAR more than usual.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

bigsciota wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:I wonder if OAIM has taken note of the email that bigsciota sent to them.
I have yet to receive a reply, and the page is unchanged, so probably not.
Well, let's just keep mocking, then. We have to help somehow.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I've tried to steer clear of this, honestly I have, but please ... guys and gals ... could I please refer you to this post of Mr G's way, way back in the thread?
Mr.Gumby wrote:I have known people to refer to this site as 'chafing nipple'. Has anyone considered the possibility the guys at OAIM are just taking the mickey? :moreevil:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:I've tried to steer clear of this, honestly I have, but please ... guys and gals ... could I please refer you to this post of Mr G's way, way back in the thread?
Mr.Gumby wrote:I have known people to refer to this site as 'chafing nipple'. Has anyone considered the possibility the guys at OAIM are just taking the mickey? :moreevil:
Let's say you're right. The answer is that obviously it doesn't work, as-is. It's no deficiency on our part if we don't get it; the deficiency is theirs. Either OAIM needs a clearly-designated humor section to house the page in (if taking the mickey is really what they're doing), or they need to eliminate the page if they don't want to scare off the conscientious, or worse yet, disinform. A humorous intent doesn't matter one whit if it's backfiring: we already see that mickey or no, the credulous are taking the chiff-means-tube thing as gospel. Does OAIM want that laid on their doorstep? "Chip & Fiffle" is the least of my concerns.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

benhall.1 wrote:I've tried to steer clear of this, honestly I have, but please ... guys and gals ... could I please refer you to this post of Mr G's way, way back in the thread?
Looking at the two offending items in context, I doubt it. If they are jokes, they are jokes that only informed readers would understand; novices would only be led astray. It is a very long page, and I see nothing else on the page not intended for novices, nothing intended as an in-joke for informed readers. If it's intended as a joke, it's a bad one.

(Cross-post with Nano.)
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

It's all back-to-front anyway; in terms of sound production, the fipple comes before the chiff! :devil:

But, yes, I agree with Nano and Tunborough; it's not obviously a joke, but it's a bad own goal if it's meant to be one.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

Nanohedron wrote:the credulous are taking the chiff-means-tube thing as gospel. Does OAIM want that laid on their doorstep? "Chip & Fiffle" is the least of my concerns.
Well, I didn't look closely enough and thought you said "chiff-means-lube" and that made that sentence waaaaay more interesting (and kinda scary)...!

Peter Duggan wrote:It's all back-to-front anyway; in terms of sound production, the fipple comes before the chiff! :devil:
BUT what comes first, the chip or the fiffle??
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Katharine wrote:and that made that sentence waaaaay more interesting (and kinda scary)...!
Not that I want to push this ... but that sounds kinda scratchy ... :o
Krasnojarsk

Post by Krasnojarsk »

Peter Duggan wrote:It's all back-to-front anyway; in terms of sound production, the fipple comes before the chiff! :devil:

But, yes, I agree with Nano and Tunborough; it's not obviously a joke, but it's a bad own goal if it's meant to be one.
I just want to know whether whistle fiffle is the same as the original pipe organ fiffle.
bigsciota

Post by bigsciota »

Disregarding the Chip and fiffle bit, the rest of the page is poorly written, and the "fipple" and "chiff" designation for the head and body is extremely misleading to beginners even if it is a joke. It's just a poorly done page, and not a very good advertisement for their services.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

I'm not a charter member, nor long term member for that matter. Look over to the left, that's me. I'm just a penurious tone deaf beginner (with some experience now) whistler trying to pick up a tune. I do know that Chiff & Fipple was (still is) the first place I turned to for whistle help. Early on I spent hours and hours reading the old passages from the original website. I mean hours! Hungry for whistle knowledge and how to play and play well. Yes, I belong to the other current internet/social media whistle forums for a rare commenting opportunity. Yet, I rely on Chiff & Fipple for the "searchable" archive for whistle information as the best source. FB and other social medias lack the searchability factor at their loss.

I do understand the power of the image so maybe a return to the original image may spark a sincere membership and participation. By now I know who I like to follow for information and filter the remainder of information as needed. For me the fight to learn to play whistle came from a don't give up image here at C&F. I don't know who owns the image but it is powerful:

And I have not given up the fight to learn the whistle. Proud to be here... thank you all! :)
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

ytliek wrote:I'm not a charter member, nor long term member for that matter.
Its nice that the board does not assign its membership inane titles like "rank noob" and "whistle god" (such titles oftentimes have no bearing on an individual's skill or knowledge level, rendering them all the more asinine and pointless).
I'm just a penurious tone deaf beginner (with some experience now) whistler trying to pick up a tune.
Another great thing about this board: come to learn about things musical, stay to expand your vocabulary!