CLAIRE MANN : Online Flute/Whistle Workshops - 12/19 Dec.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

CLAIRE MANN : Online Flute/Whistle Workshops - 12/19 Dec.

Post by kenny »

FluteFling Online Traditional Flute & Whistle Workshops - 12 and 19 December 2020

The COVID situation makes the Aberdeen FluteFling we'd normally have at this time of year impossible. As an alternative we've arranged a virtual workshop mini series with Claire Mann as the tutor. Those of you who were at the 2018 FluteFling in Edinburgh in 2018 will know what a skilled, popular and entertaining tutor Claire is.

The workshops will cater for both flute and whistle. They will be delivered, via Zoom, from Claire's house, near Newton Stewart in SW Scotland, and will take place over two consecutive weekends with a morning and afternoon part each day. There is an additional opportunity to be part of a group video performance, based on material featured in the workshops.

Claire will teach by ear but sheet music will be provided and a recording will be available in advance.

More details of the workshops and ticketing are available here:
http://www.flutefling.co.uk/scottish-fl ... mber-2020/

Examples of Claire's playing here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVV_935wS8w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70A4Pgp ... S3&index=3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVYHOLJ0aHQ
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
stiofan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Re: CLAIRE MANN : Online Flute/Whistle Workshops - 12/19 Dec

Post by stiofan »

Alas, start time would be 2:30 *AM* here on the west coast of the US. So...how to send my housemates away for the weekend so I can make flutey noises at that hour. Looks like a great event.
kenny

Post by kenny »

Hi Stiofan, there have been a few similar enquiries to yours from musicians outwith the UK timezone, and the organisers are trying to find a way to work round it, by possibly recording the lessons/discussions and making them available to access at a later date. I'll make a few enquiries and get back to you ASAP.
Regards, Kenny
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
gbyrne
Tell us something.: I play whistle and flute. I started learning 3 years ago. I like this website and TheSession too. This should be enought for you to know I am not a weirdo spammer.

Post by gbyrne »

Just signed up. Looking forward to it. Something to break Covid lockdown blues.

Best wishes
G
Bcoopmando
Tell us something.: Musician considering the Irish Flute. I am a Mandolin player interested in most genres of music.
I am searching for an Irish flute to tryout and see if I like it!

Post by Bcoopmando »

Hi,
This looks interesting however I have only been playing the flute for 7 months!
Do you think I would benefit from from these workshops? Also will they be recorded to enable viewing after the actual workshop? I live in a Canada and 4:30 in the morning would be difficult for my lovely spouse!
Cheers
kenny

Post by kenny »

Hi Stiofan - I got this reply from the organiser :

"Hi Kenny,
Thanks for the update on C&F. Planned workaround for those who have a time difference problem (and those who have an internet, Zoom or hardware malfunction on the day) is to have a video recording of each workshop available on Google Drive for a specified period after each workshop. We're just nailing down the final details of how this will work. As soon as that's done Gordon will edit the FluteFling website to reflect the fact this facility will be available".

Hope that might help.

"Bcoopmando" - also, see above. It is always difficult to accommodate different levels of ability, even more so if an event is not "face-to-face". My gut feeling is that it would be worth your while, but I will make an enquiry on your behalf, and get back to you.

GByrne - thanks very much for signing up. We appreciate your support.

A' the best, Kenny
Bcoopmando
Tell us something.: Musician considering the Irish Flute. I am a Mandolin player interested in most genres of music.

Post by Bcoopmando »

Thanks Kenny
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

Kenny: Thanks for enquiring about the video recording option. I'm just coming back to flute playing after a hiatus of a few years, so I'd also be curious about the skill level issue. But I'd probably sign up for the class anyway, just to glean what I can from Claire's instruction.
cheers,
Stephen
kenny

Post by kenny »

Reply from Claire :

"Hi Folks,

I think the two enquiries from Chiff and Fipple would definitely get something from the workshops. Material wise isn't going to be too technically challenging and I'll cover a good bit of technique too. They'll have the music etc in advance too".

Hope this helps,
Best wishes, Kenny
Bcoopmando

Post by Bcoopmando »

Have you decided to record the sessions so that they could be viewed by those in odd alternate time zones?
Thanks for thinking of us!
kenny

Post by kenny »

"The workshops will be recorded so that ticket holders can revisit them. Handy if you can't attend them all or are in another time zone."
Recent "Tweet" from Gordon Turnbull.
Bcoopmando

Post by Bcoopmando »

I don’t seem to understand the term “concession”.
What is the difference between this and the “general” option?
Thanks again!
kenny

Post by kenny »

I think this is correct, and can check the exact categories if you want. The "concession" rate is a reduction in the charge made available to people who may be unemployed, under 16 or over 65 years of age.
Bcoopmando

Post by Bcoopmando »

I guess that applies to my well aged self!!
Thanks for the clarification Kenny
kenny

Post by kenny »

These are the latest updates, in response to some queries :

Workshop Access: For those in different timezones or unable to make the scheduled workshop times for any reason, the workshops will be recorded and made available to all ticket holders in a secure archive until January 09 2021. It will give all participants the option of revisiting the teaching and enhancing the learning as often as you like for that period. The videos will be removed from the archive after that date. We believe that this is a secure and practical way for everyone to get the most out of the experience.

Data protection: The privacy of attendees will be respected and the recordings will focus on Claire, who will have her own camera. A co-host will also be on hand. Purchasing a ticket gives your consent to participate in these recorded events.

The website has been updated to reflect these changes: http://www.flutefling.co.uk/scottish-fl ... mber-2020/