Problems staying logged in

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dan A.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Problems staying logged in

Post by Dan A. »

The Pub seems the most appropriate place for this topic, so here goes...

Last week, I finally got a new phone; this purchase was pretty much forced when my Xfinity gave up the ghost. Since then, I have experienced difficulty staying logged in on forums. I'm usually logged out sometime between new topic/post reply/quote and submit. Sometimes I'll log in for what seems like the umpteenth time, only to be promptly directed to the login page again. Needless to say, this is rather irritating.

The phone in question is a Samsung Galaxy A11, running Android Version 10. The browser is Chrome, version 80.0.3987.99.

I'm certain there is some setting that I've heretofore been unaware of that is causing this annoyance. Neither my old phone nor my tablet were so affected.

Anyone have any clue what's causing this mess?
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Re: Problems staying logged in

Post by Katharine »

I'm wondering if it might not be a security or privacy setting; perhaps something to do with the way the phone is keeping cookies? Do you have the same issue on other sites?
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

I was thinking the same thing, but danged if I can find the right setting. Only forums seem to be affected; I stay logged into my e-mail and Flea-Bay without issue.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Dan A. wrote:I was thinking the same thing, but danged if I can find the right setting. Only forums seem to be affected; I stay logged into my e-mail and Flea-Bay without issue.
Other forums apart from here, as well as here?
Dan A.

Post by Dan A. »

benhall.1 wrote:Other forums apart from here, as well as here?
Yes, other forums are so affected. But only forums. Odd.

Edit: I never had this trouble with the old phone or the tablet because they were always on Wi-Fi. Whatever is causing this issue is only affecting/affected by use of the mobile networks.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Check your data saver setting.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

Only forums using the same platform, I wonder?

(I'm just thinking of another forum I'm on... they allow a different levels of security settings, and the one I chose will not keep me logged in, for some reason.)
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
Dan A.

Post by Dan A. »

an seanduine wrote:Check your data saver setting.
Once I find that, I will check it.
Katharine wrote:Only forums using the same platform, I wonder?
I'm pretty sure the other uses a different platform.
Last edited by Dan A. on Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Dan A. wrote:
an seanduine wrote:Check your data saver setting.
Once I find that, I will check it.

quote="Katharine"]Only forums using the same platform, I wonder?
I'm pretty sure the other uses a different platform.[/quote]
Can you say what the other forum is? I am wondering if it may be phpBB ...
Dan A.

Post by Dan A. »

Yes, the other uses phpBB. Its look is different from that of the Chiffboard, which likely threw me off some.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Dan A. wrote:Yes, the other uses phpBB. Its look is different from that of the Chiffboard, which likely threw me off some.
Well, you've got part of your answer then. It's something to do with the interaction of your phone, or its operating system, and the phpBB platform. Beyond that, I don't know how to help. I can try to look at phpBB forums later. You might find an answer yourself if you Google it ...
Dan A.

Post by Dan A. »

I think my next step will be reaching out to the phpBB folks for help. We'll see how that goes.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Dan A. wrote:I think my next step will be reaching out to the phpBB folks for help. We'll see how that goes.
Well, let us know! And best of luck. :)
Dan A.

Post by Dan A. »

I found their trouble ticket submission form, and the first item was: what version of phpBB are you using? Seems geared more to site owners/admins than members. Back to square one...
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Dan A. wrote:I found their trouble ticket submission form, and the first item was: what version of phpBB are you using? Seems geared more to site owners/admins than members. Back to square one...
In case it's of any use to you, ours is currently on 3.0.14