advice on buying a flute online

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
john

advice on buying a flute online

Post by john »

There's someone I'm in touch with on fb marketplace about a flute for sale.

I'm a little wary about buying this way (I don't think there's buyer protection as on ebay), so I've asked the seller to provide their name, adress and number.

They've said that they're not comfortable doing so and that a return address will be on the package anyway.

Any thoughts? I'm in the right to request the information I've asked for aren't I?
Peter Duggan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: advice on buying a flute online

Post by Peter Duggan »

I wouldn't buy off someone who wouldn't tell me who they were!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
john

Post by john »

When you put it that way Peter it doesn't sound like much to ask.
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

Are you paying via Paypal? They're supposed to have protections as well (just make sure you send as a payment, not to "friends and family"). I'm not sure about protections on Venmo and similar, but it seems I've heard that technically Paypal and Venmo are owned by the same company, so perhaps. Not familiar with others.

But yes, as privacy-conscious as I am (some would say paranoid, I might not even dispute that), if I were hoping someone would send me a fair amount of money in trust that I would send them a product, I would understand if they would want to know who I am.

If you assure the seller that you are indeed going to buy and aren't just trying to mine their info, IMO they should understand. (If they're that concerned about privacy, interacting with strangers on Facebook probably isn't the best way to go about it; I take it they're one of those people who doesn't use their real name on Facebook/has a straw account?)
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
john

Post by john »

I searched the seller's name and the word 'muscian'. There was a website with a URL consisting of the person's name hyphenated and '-music.business.site'. I've contacted them to ask if they are the same person. On the website a mobile number and full postal address are given for this musician (a highland piper, fluter and whistler). I'll see what happens. Hopefully, if it's the same person we can go ahead with the sale. That's if they're not cheesed off with me doing this cross-checking and contacting them this way.
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

I've had similar experiences in the recent past (no money changed hands, fortunately). Such sellers are what I refer to as "flakes." Flakes are not the sort of people I want to do business with. Just my $0.02.
Last edited by Dan A. on Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

This does sound a bit suspicious to me as well. If they are running a business they'd want to tell you who they are. If they are a person in the Irish Trad community selling a flute for Irish music or the like, they most likely would want to know you. But if you are talking about boehm flutes all bets are off.

It could be useful to us here if we had a link or a screen shot. We might be able to give you better advice.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

I would not be so concerned about how ´cheesed-off´'the seller might be, as how ´cheesed-off´ I might be if I somehow lost sizable money for naught. Ḿy pennies come hard.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi