Generation Convert

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
LI Whistler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Generation Convert

Post by LI Whistler »

To ecadre-- Could you elaborate on this "Two or three layers of thread in a band, which is then treated with superglue or clear nail varnish" I have a Generation D I tweaked to make quieter (and better too) but the head has slight crack I keep an eye on. I considered using a small hose clamp but have not done it. Is there a preferred thickness and material type for the thread. I am sure somewhere in the chiff archive there is a reference you can point me to. I found this one from Pancelticpiper which says "I wrap heavy carpet thread around it, then soak the thread in super glue." Did you use another thread? Do I wrap it tightly or does the thread contract when glued? Do I ask too many questions?
ecadre
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by ecadre »

LI Whistler wrote:To ecadre-- Could you elaborate on this "Two or three layers of thread in a band, which is then treated with superglue or clear nail varnish" I have a Generation D I tweaked to make quieter (and better too) but the head has slight crack I keep an eye on. I considered using a small hose clamp but have not done it. Is there a preferred thickness and material type for the thread. I am sure somewhere in the chiff archive there is a reference you can point me to. I found this one from Pancelticpiper which says "I wrap heavy carpet thread around it, then soak the thread in super glue." Did you use another thread? Do I wrap it tightly or does the thread contract when glued? Do I ask too many questions?
I simply use some coloured sewing thread, polyester in this case. The picture should give you most of the info needed I think, the thread is wrapped a couple or so layers deep. I soaked it with clear nail varnish in this case.

The whistle here is an old Generation D.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Here on far left is a Jerry Freeman Generation Bb head with his elegant red wrapping, on my home-made A body.

The C is a c1980 Generation that I did the thread & superglue wrap job years ago.

The Bb is a newer thread & superglue wrap job, still glistening. As you can see I don't care what it looks like. With several layers of thread all soaked in superglue it's a solid mass, and I know the socket can't split.

Who knows why Generation makes the sockets so thin. You see split old Generations all the time.

Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle