Carbony Low D review

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MichelleRH
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have a high g carbony, 2 cheap composite D and C whistles that sound like recorders, a wood Eric high D, a brass Tony Dixon A whistle and a Tony Dixon Low D in my collection and I would like to learn more about Irish whistle.

Carbony Low D review

Post by MichelleRH »

This carbony low D review is super interesting. https://youtu.be/eBzrg0I_ikM

They explain how their innovative design allows the holes to be really close together and it can be played with a fingertip grip instead of a pipers grip. Check it out! They are a bit spendy and sound more mellow and less chiffy than metal whistles but could be worth it if you struggle to play the low D whistles.
singraham
Tell us something.: New to the whistle at 74. Having a lot of fun. Learning every day. Started with high D, but playing mostly low D these days.

Re: Carbony Low D review

Post by singraham »

I have one coming on Thursday 11/12, if the Post Office keeps its schedule. Mine will be one of the first ones with the newly designed voicing window. What Rob is calling the “Air Dam” design. I will let you know what I think once I have gotten used to it. :)
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

Grey Larsen also did a review a bit ago. It is on YouTube somewhere.
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

I feel like I'm the odd ball who is the opposite and wants to pipers grip everything, in both hands haha.
qaantar
Tell us something.: I'm a long-time musician, grew up with piano, recorder, electric bass. Now I've picked up the tin whistle and have been exploring Irish music.

Post by qaantar »

Apparently they make a low C with that design as well -- for some reason, it's not available on their website, but I have seen it for sale elsewhere.
singraham
Tell us something.: New to the whistle at 74. Having a lot of fun. Learning every day. Started with high D, but playing mostly low D these days.

Post by singraham »

So I have had my Carbony Low D with close finger spacing (and a C natural thumb hole, and the new “air dam” head) for a week or more now, and have been playing it every day. Things of note. It took me a few days to convince myself to play with my finger tip pads like a high whistle, and to unlearn the piper’s grip. Once I did it was clear sailing from there. The more I play the more relaxed my hands become (I got the thumb rest and it is a light whistle compared to my MK Pro anyway so if it is very easy to hold). It requires very little pressure on the fingers to seal the holes. It also requires very little air pressure. You can breath the low notes and the second octave does not need much more. And yet it is not delicate at all. You can lean into it pretty far before the octave breaks, even on low D and E (the E is the more delicate of the two, especially coming down to it...but is a good strong E). The C natural hole is perfectly placed and works really well in most tunes I play (mostly slow airs). I don’t have the old head to compare the new “air dam” head with, but I am very pleased with the tone and balance of the whistle, right through the range. It is a bit more mellow than the MK Pro, with a more “woody” sound than the bright aluminum sound of the MK...not flute-like, but not a purely traditional whistle sound either. Very pleasing to my ear.
Down sides: none really, except playing this whistle makes it almost impossible to switch back to my conventional low Ds. The fingering is very different, as is the air pressure requirement, and even the “grip” needed. It has totally spoiled me for the MK Pro and Kerry Optima, both of which I really liked before I got the Carbony. It is also not quite as air efficient as the MK Pro.
Finally, one of my goals was to find a solution for my apparent sensitivity to the Al mouthpiece on the MK Pro...which caused excessive saliva production...and the ebonite tip on the Carbony has come close to eliminating that issue. (It is a real sensitivity...I have recently gone to all wooden utensils and ceramic lined mugs as I can also taste stainless steel flatware and insulated travel mugs :(
Anyway...even if you do not “require” close finger spacing, I can highly recommend the Carbony...it is a very different playing experience, and a very enjoyable one.
Greg Connor
Tell us something.: I'm facinated by the simplicity and the ability of the irish whistle. I use it mainly for accent while recording music.

Post by Greg Connor »

It looked like she was using a pipers grip with her right hand in the video. Probably a victim of habit. Pretty neat idea overall.
singraham

Post by singraham »

Greg Connor wrote:It looked like she was using a pipers grip with her right hand in the video. Probably a victim of habit. Pretty neat idea overall.
If anything the left hand is further spaced and might benefit from the piper’s grip. The right (bottom) had is not significantly wider spaced than a Bb whistle. :)