Beginner question Pratten vs Rudall

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
ryarbrough
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play flute and bodhran. I'm principally a flute player, since life is too short for me to play more than one instrument well.

Re: Beginner question Pratten vs Rudall

Post by ryarbrough »

I have not seen anyone mention the difference in size between the Pratten and Rudall flutes. Although I don't have experience with the Somers flutes, Pratten-type flutes in general are larger than Rudall-type flutes with a longer finger stretch. The difference is usually only a few millimeters, but those few millimeters are important. After playing Rudall pattern flutes for many years with only slight discomfort, I switched to a Pratten from a major maker. Within months I developed significant hand issues. I switched to a Copley flute based on a Hawkes model, which is smaller than either the Pratten or Rudall flutes, and my hand issues disappeared. My hands are not small, by the way. If your flute is not comfortable to hold and play, try a smaller flute.
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

I've been googling but no joy, what is the difference between a Pratten and a Rudall flute?
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

AuLoS303 wrote:I've been googling but no joy, what is the difference between a Pratten and a Rudall flute?
https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is ... dall+flute!

(Top result: Pratten/Rudall etc.)
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

Peter Duggan wrote:
AuLoS303 wrote:I've been googling but no joy, what is the difference between a Pratten and a Rudall flute?
https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is ... dall+flute!

(Top result: Pratten/Rudall etc.)
Thanks. It seems a Rudall would be not be one to go for, not that I can afford to go for any at the moment.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

AuLoS303 wrote:It seems a Rudall would be not be one to go for
?
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

Peter Duggan wrote:
AuLoS303 wrote:It seems a Rudall would be not be one to go for
?
From that search link:
"They tend to need a lot of air to play, and can be more tiring and more difficult to play in tune. "
sligofluter

Post by sligofluter »

I have played a lot of wooden flute and I never found a pratten flute hard to play, however I found some rudall models with a very critical embouchure. I think the this story about rudall for beginners has not a real base.

And between Rudall and Pratten, I will take a big holes rudall with no hesitasion.

Cheers.
Our irish music blog in Spanish: https://theirishflow.com/
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

From that search link:
"They tend to need a lot of air to play, and can be more tiring and more difficult to play in tune. "
That statement seems suspiciously general.

It is certain that a small holed flute is easier to play than a large holed flute.

Even 1mm on every hole makes quite a difference in how fast your fingers can articulate. I guess the vibration of the air column can change more quickly in a smaller flute as you change notes - so there may be some breath control factors as well.

Flute embouchure holes differ.

Some are easier than others, but that is due to the maker's skills or desires, not defined by Rudall vs Pratten. I haven't played that many flutes, but in my (intermediate) experience, modern embouchures tend to be easier than 19th century embouchures. For example, the American 19th C flutes from the Firth, Pond & Hall family have a smaller embouchure requires you to develop good focus from your lips, and it wasn't easy for me to maintain consistency for some time.

Not to wear the hair-shirt, but practicing on a flute that forces you to work hard for embouchure control might be frustrating, but might not be a bad thing, as control, consistency, volume and good tone quality comes from extensive practice.

Over my learning process I have played flutes with different embouchures that were more or less easy to play.

At first it was a real struggle to switch to a new flute. But playing different flutes strengthened and trained my lips. Developing good tone and consistency on flute #3 (R&R), I can go back to flute #2 (Large hole R&R) and get more out of it. As for the more difficult flute #1 (FP&Co) Suddenly, I can get volume, tone and consistency from that more difficult embouchure.