What is up with Casey Burns?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Charles Montgomery
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Looking for advice on Celtic Flutes and other instruments. I amuse myself playing the Boehm Flute, Bamboo, and a few antique flutes that I have found. I am retiring soon from my career as a consultant in the Energy Industry. Chiff and Fipple looks interesting. Some day I would try to play the Uillienn Pipes but these look hard and complex. I sang Baritone in the choir at my church (Unitarian) in Providence before the Pandemic hit.

What is up with Casey Burns?

Post by Charles Montgomery »

I just noticed on the website for Casey Burns flutes that he will no longer be taking orders for his flutes in wood later this month. Instead he says he is planning to make flutes in glass. Why would anyone want a flute in glass? If it drops it shatters. I've heard of some of these in museumms.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Re: What is up with Casey Burns?

Post by Sedi »

He will make 3D-printed models in clear plastic, too.
Charles Montgomery
Tell us something.: Looking for advice on Celtic Flutes and other instruments. I amuse myself playing the Boehm Flute, Bamboo, and a few antique flutes that I have found. I am retiring soon from my career as a consultant in the Energy Industry. Chiff and Fipple looks interesting. Some day I would try to play the Uillienn Pipes but these look hard and complex. I sang Baritone in the choir at my church (Unitarian) in Providence before the Pandemic hit.

I thoght he hated plastic.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

I guess he changed his mind.
Charles Montgomery

Must be caught the Coronavirus or something.
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

Yep, the glass and optical resin material seems like the direction he's going in now. He does say that there are still Folk Flutes available at Lark in the Morning, Dusty Strings and the Irish Flute Store.

He also mentions taking on an apprentice: "I also have an apprentice who may someday be available to pursue this," this apparently referring to small-handed flutes, but it's not clear if she would be making just the resin & glass flutes or possibly wood flutes.

I'm glad to have recently acquired two of his flutes - an older standard large-hole D flute and a Folk Flute, both blackwood.
kmag
Tell us something.: I try my best to play the flute and pipes. I have been coming here for years and now are required to fill this out for an address change.

Post by kmag »

He is no longer on Chiff and Fipple but he is on facebook. Go to the flute history channel and do a search using his name. Although he did not like making flutes in Delrin, due to the fumes when machining it, the new flutes are going to be either glass or a type of optical resin that he is able to 3d print. I imagine the wear of tear of machining has taken its toll on his hands not to mention the mental boredom of doing the same thing for decades. You should check out what he is up to. The glass flutes will be much stronger than the old Laurent flutes that were made out of a type of potash based glass. These will not.

I find it interesting and I am sure he does as well, especially at this point in his career. There will still be many places to get wood and Delrin flutes. I am glad he is trying something new. So many people are making copies of R&R flutes, Nicholsen, Pratten etc. It is high time to see what can be done with Laurent flutes well.

As far as dropping the flute goes, that never goes well. I have played many wind instruments through the years but for all of them the rule was "on your face or in the case". Don't ever put it on a chair either. It is a recipe for disaster. Of all of the things I look for in a musicial instrument being unbreakable is not on the list.
Sedi
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

kmag wrote:I have played many wind instruments through the years but for all of them the rule was "on your face or in the case".
One reason I like aluminium for flute-making. Pretty much worry-free.