Ebay Items

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Ebay Items

Post by BigDavy »

Pat Sky practice set US only.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

BigDavy wrote:Pat Sky practice set US only.

David
I saw that. Why the metal tube in Hole 6? Does Pat do that?
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

pancelticpiper wrote: I saw that. Why the metal tube in Hole 6? Does Pat do that?
He does - it has a similar function like the marmorka on gaida chanters, to create more chimney height and thus simulate greater wall thickness for that fingerhole.
pudinka
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by pudinka »

I saw that on one of his chanters a few years ago, and e-mailed him about it. He said he added the tubing rather than simply starting with a smaller hole. He didn't say why, he just said he did it that way.

Years before this, I did the same thing on a D. Williams D chanter and found that it helped the E's, they really shifted between octaves. I can't remember which was sharp and which was flat (I believe the 2nd octave E was quite sharp), but making the hole smaller with the bit of tubing really helped. The piece was quite thin and I shaped it to make the vent smaller, then sanded the edges and wound it with waxed thread to hold it in place - harmless & removable if needed.

I had the notion after seeing a photo of a Taylor chanter that had some sort of insert in the same hole, for similar reasons, I guessed.
It's true that you'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar - but a big, steaming pile works best of all.
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Roberts half set in D - US only.

David
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Interesting.

In my experience E is usually sharper in the low octave and flatter in the 2nd octave.

Baroque flute makers had various things, putting a slight bulge in the bore near a finger-hole, or inserting a tiny tapered reamer inside to cut away the edge of the chimney on the inside, or angling the finger-holes, to correct various tuning issues between the registers.

I don't know of them inserting a tube to increase chimney height, my impression is that they would do the opposite, start with the wall-thickness that gave the deepest-necessary chimney, then cut away the chimneys on the other holes.

Are there old chanters with increased thickness around the E holes? That's what Hungarian and Romanian chanters do, rather than insert a tube, for the mormorka.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Wooff full set US only, relisted yet again.

David
pudinka

Post by pudinka »

Sorry - you are correct (I was not sure)...I checked it last night. The low E is, without the insert very, very sharp - like 35-40 cents sharp and just sounds terrible. At the same time, the high E is more or less where it should be (per tuner), around 5 cents sharp.

But with the insert, the low E drops into place and the high E remains about where it should be, maybe slightly flatter (than w/o the insert).

The hole is roughly 5 mm without the insert and it reduces it to about 4 mm.
It's true that you'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar - but a big, steaming pile works best of all.
pudinka

Post by pudinka »

Sorry - you are correct (I was not sure)...I checked it last night. The low E is, without the insert very, very sharp - like 35-40 cents sharp and just sounds terrible. At the same time, the high E is more or less where it should be (per tuner), around 5 cents sharp.

But with the insert, the low E drops into place and the high E remains about where it should be, maybe slightly flatter (than w/o the insert).

The hole is roughly 5 mm without the insert and it reduces it to about 4 mm.
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

Yes that makes sense, on every D chanter I've had there's around a 20 cent difference between Low E and High E.

For sure there are numerous ways around it. I've seen many pipers have their whole 2nd octave tuned flatter than I do, then High F# is too flat so they use a different fingering to bring it up.

On my chanter not only is High E a hair sharp but so is High A. My High F# and High G are bang-on. I've got into the habit of "shading" Low E, as well as backing off on the pressure a bit, while for High E I give it a little extra pressure.

It's cool how well that tube works to fix that E problem.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Roberts half set - US only, relisted.

David
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Roberts half set relisted again.

David
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

vPipes- being sold by an instrument seller in Germany.

David
westerneyes

Post by westerneyes »

BigDavy wrote:vPipes- being sold by an instrument seller in Germany.
This listing is a scam. It is reusing photos from the set of vPipes recently linked here and sold from England. There is also a photo with contact info that I think is requesting potential buyers to email the listed address and that the seller is "listing for a friend, please contact him directly". I'm not fluent in German, however...

I also noticed at least two or three other auctions (from one seller, different than this listing) with the exact same photos and photo with German text.
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

It is written in very, hm - strange German... probably automatically translated, from whatever language.