Neon headed Generations!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Neon headed Generations!

Post by pancelticpiper »

Tyler DelGregg wrote: Why on earth would they make a clear bagpipe????
That was Norm Kyle, who back in the 1970s made the first plastic Highland pipe chanters I saw.

That was his thing, pioneering the use of plastic for Highland pipes.

He made a large number of all-plastic Highland pipes, not the Delrin/Polypenco that they use nowadays but a strange not-quite-black (very dark grey) lightweight flexible plastic.

Around 1980 or so I was at a large Highland Games and he had a booth selling his plastic pipes and there in the middle was that clear set. Pipers were all excited about it and were taking turns playing it. That set sounded great, but was disgusting to watch.

I think he made it as something to get people's attention, which it did do.

Like at an Auto Show where I saw a V8 engine all machined out of clear plastic so you could see the pistons moving inside.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

pancelticpiper wrote:He made a large number of all-plastic Highland pipes, not the Delrin/Polypenco that they use nowadays but a strange not-quite-black (very dark grey) lightweight flexible plastic. ... That set sounded great, but was disgusting to watch.
I imagine the drones were sort of sproingy-wiggly?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

AuLoS303 wrote:Instagram is owned by Facebook so the images should be seen by either user.
I use neither Instagram nor Facebook, but I saw the image just fine. Instagram does get a little annoying by only allowing you to view so much before you're forced to create an account.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Nanohedron wrote: I imagine the drones were sort of sproingy-wiggly?
Exactly!

The modern Delrin/Polypenco pipes bounce a bit on your shoulder when you march.

But those old Kyle flexible plastic pipes would bounce like crazy. I hated it.

People would demo the Kyle pipe chanters by "breaking" them over their knee- they would just bend and spring back.

Until one of our pipers did it and the chanter shattered.

AFAIK those Kyle chanters were the first "modern" pipe chanters: plastic, ultra-thin walls, higher pitch.

I should mention that the clear plastic pipes were rigid, no bending.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle