Generation with green head?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
AuLoS303
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Generation with green head?

Post by AuLoS303 »

Is this Generation whistle with the green head much different to other Gens? Their website claims it is a classic among whistlers.
Or is it just nostalgia?

You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
TxWhistler
Tell us something.: I have recently retired and have always wanted to learn to play a musical instrument. I'm leaning to play the whistle and now the flute.

Re: Generation with green head?

Post by TxWhistler »

AuLoS303 wrote:Is this Generation whistle with the green head much different to other Gens? Their website claims it is a classic among whistlers.
Or is it just nostalgia?
It's the same as a red topped brass Generation. I had the same question and contacted Generation with my question. They said the only difference was the color of the plastic top.

I also bought one and can attest that they are just like the red topped brass ones.
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

TxWhistler wrote:
It's the same as a red topped brass Generation. I had the same question and contacted Generation with my question. They said the only difference was the color of the plastic top.

I also bought one and can attest that they are just like the red topped brass ones.
The sales talk on their site make it seems its something unique:

"Since it was first produced in 1970, to celebrate the resurgence of British folk music, this classic whistle has changed very little… and that’s just how people like it."
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I just took it as Generations copying the look of the Irish-made Feadogs and Waltons.

Then there are the Generations with beige tops, with black (or dark brown?) bottoms.

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember seeing Generations with black tops.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

I thought I read somewhere on here that it was called/sold as a 'folk whistle', just a different coloured fipple, otherwise, the same as the regular whistles.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

Beige top? Eww
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Then there are the Generations with beige tops, with black (or dark brown?) bottoms.
You are probably thinking of the Guinness whistles. Not sure who makes them, I think Walton's but I may be wrong.

Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Yes that's the one!

Yes it looks like a Waltons, with the facetted collar.

I suppose it makes sense for Guinness to go with an Irish firm, for their whistles.

Which reminds me

(By the way, if you think that's the ugliest bagpipe ever made, the same guy made another kind that's even uglier.)
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

pancelticpiper wrote:(By the way, if you think that's the ugliest bagpipe ever made, the same guy made another kind that's even uglier.)
Were they inspired by Guinness tap handles? Or is there another correlation I failed to draw?

And yes, the Guinness whistles were made by Walton's. I kinda wanted one, but now that I know it's merely a Little Black D with a tan head and a different label, I'll pass.
ecadre
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by ecadre »

Dan A. wrote:
pancelticpiper wrote:(By the way, if you think that's the ugliest bagpipe ever made, the same guy made another kind that's even uglier.)
Were they inspired by Guinness tap handles? Or is there another correlation I failed to draw?

And yes, the Guinness whistles were made by Walton's. I kinda wanted one, but now that I know it's merely a Little Black D with a tan head and a different label, I'll pass.
Look at what's sitting at the top of the drones.

Give a minute or two ... :lol:
whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

ecadre wrote:
Dan A. wrote: Were they inspired by Guinness tap handles? Or is there another correlation I failed to draw?

They look like clarinet barrels to me. What are we not getting?
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

They look like working. . .. You fill in the blank :pint:

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

whistlecollector wrote:
ecadre wrote:
Dan A. wrote: Were they inspired by Guinness tap handles? Or is there another correlation I failed to draw?

They look like clarinet barrels to me. What are we not getting?
They're pints of Guinness in the classic shaped Guinness pint glass.
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

Thing is, the Guinness-glass-topped drones could look decent if put on an otherwise trad-looking bagpipe.

Because with Highland pipes you already have the right colour-scheme: dark brown (nearly black) wood and cream or beige mount at the drone top.

I actually have thought about asking a maker to do that!

In any case, as teased, here's another bagpipe by the same maker:

Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
You are probably thinking of the Guinness whistles. Not sure who makes them, I think Walton's but I may be wrong.

Now, I'd like one of those!