Cathal McConnell - 2 whistles at the same time

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Cathal McConnell - 2 whistles at the same time

Post by kenny »

There are a few video clips of Cathal doing his party piece of playing 2 whistles at the same time on "Youtube", but this was the first time I saw him do it, at Aberdeen Folk Club in 1983 - audio only, no "videos" in those days. There is a second track with him playing his variations on "Doctor O'Neill" on flute :
https://youtu.be/txlm4FhMBPg
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Cathal McConnell - 2 whistles at the same time

Post by pancelticpiper »

My first Irish flute teacher would do that.

He did it by taping the top 3 holes on one whistle, that whistle becoming the bottom-hand whistle, and playing the top hand on a second whistle. He played McLeod's Reel. He said the trick was finding the right tunes.

I do that on the Scottish pipes, I've plugged the top holes on one chanter, and certain holes on the other chanter, so each hand has its own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4lw8-3Jf9w
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Stev0
Tell us something.: I'm here as a milti-instrumentalist to learn about and discuss my new interest in irish-style keyless flutes. I played the Boehm flute from 5th grade through 8th grade (I am now 36yo), and recently aquired a Windwood bamboo flute.

Post by Stev0 »

You mean like this?
-Stevo
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

My brain hurts

pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Stev0 wrote:You mean like this?
I wonder if that's a whistle thing (the windows could be in back) or a reed thing.

Very common in ancient Greece and Rome was to play a pair of shawms (double-reeds, the precursor to the oboe) which the Greeks called Aulos and the Romans called Tibia. Aulos competitions were part of the original Olympic Games, I read somewhere.

With two pipes you probably had harmony playing, especially as they often can be seen with pipes of two sizes.

Even though we know the Aulos was a reed instrument the word is to this day mistranslated into English as "flute".

Folk versions often have single reeds, like modern drone reeds.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle