For you long time whistlers - Feadog or Soodlums?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
TxWhistler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have recently retired and have always wanted to learn to play a musical instrument. I'm leaning to play the whistle and now the flute.

For you long time whistlers - Feadog or Soodlums?

Post by TxWhistler »

I've seen this listing on eBay for several weeks now and it is advertised as a Feadog but it looks like a Soodlums to me. But hey, I'm just a newcomer to whistling. What do you say it is?

Here's the link:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FEADOG-Brass-H ... SwddBe8kbQ

I'm not interested in buying it, just curious and I've not seen a Feadog that looked like that.
Last edited by TxWhistler on Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Re: For you long time whistlers - Feadog or Soodlums?

Post by Dan A. »

Walton's was previously known as Soodlum's, I believe. Since the head looks like the ones on my Walton's, I'd say it's a Soodlum's. A pass for me, too, as two Walton's are enough for me.
TxWhistler
Tell us something.: I have recently retired and have always wanted to learn to play a musical instrument. I'm leaning to play the whistle and now the flute.

Post by TxWhistler »

Yeah, the head looked like a current Waltons, that's why I thought it is a Soodlums.

Strange that Hobgoblin would mis-identify it as a Feadog.

The price seems way too high in my opinion,
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

I'm not sure Hobgoblin misidentified it; seems more likely that the seller did. But I agree that the price is optimistic.
Flywhistler

Post by Flywhistler »

Definitely a Soodlums. I have one.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I don't like either of them. I used to just like old Gens; these days it's Killarneys for me.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

If you are lucky and come across a good one, the new Generations are even better than the old ones. And I think the Feadóg "pro" is pretty nice but I guess they probably vary to some degree, too.
Dan A.

Post by Dan A. »

benhall.1 wrote:These days it's Killarneys for me.
I haven't played a Killarney. Perhaps someday I will, but at this time, I'd live in fear of damaging it. I'd be upset enough if I damaged one of my Dixons!
Sedi wrote:If you are lucky and come across a good one, the new Generations are even better than the old ones.
I just ordered two, one brass and one nickel. Fingers crossed that they turn out to be good ones.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Dan A. wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:These days it's Killarneys for me.
I haven't played a Killarney. Perhaps someday I will, but at this time, I'd live in fear of damaging it. I'd be upset enough if I damaged one of my Dixons!
The Killarneys are about the most robust whistles I've seen. You'd have to really try hard to be able to damage a Killarney, I'd say.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

You'd have to really try hard to be able to damage a Killarney, I'd say.
FWIW: When I first had my Sindt D, some twenty years ago, I went out with the thing stuck in my jacket pocket. While having a chat in the street it fell out and the meeting with the pavement took a (small) chip out of the edge of the mouthpiece. It was that easy and as the Killarney was created in the image of the Sindt, my guess is it would happened as easily to one of those.
My brain hurts

Dan A.

Post by Dan A. »

I go to great lengths to minimize the risk of damage to my whistles. Thus far, I've been successful, but I won't say it's impossible for me to damage one. However, my Walton's Irish D has finish wear, or "patina," if you prefer. It doesn't get played much anymore, partially because I find that finish wear very unappealing. I would consider buying another Walton's, though.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Dan A. wrote:I go to great lengths to minimize the risk of damage to my whistles. Thus far, I've been successful, but I won't say it's impossible for me to damage one. However, my Walton's Irish D has finish wear, or "patina," if you prefer. It doesn't get played much anymore, partially because I find that finish wear very unappealing. I would consider buying another Walton's, though.
Oh? I much prefer the look of whistles with a bit of patina. It adds character.
Dan A.

Post by Dan A. »

benhall.1 wrote:I much prefer the look of whistles with a bit of patina. It adds character.
I happen to be the sort of person who endeavors to keep all of his possessions looking new as long as possible and practical. That didn't quite happen with my Walton's, though said whistle certainly does not lack character. It has even taken on a rough spot where my left thumb rests! And its patina has been acquired properly; I detest fake patina and dishonest wear on anything.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Dan A. wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:I much prefer the look of whistles with a bit of patina. It adds character.
I happen to be the sort of person who endeavors to keep all of his possessions looking new as long as possible and practical. That didn't quite happen with my Walton's, though said whistle certainly does not lack character. It has even taken on a rough spot where my left thumb rests! And its patina has been acquired properly; I detest fake patina and dishonest wear on anything.
I'm with you on the fake patina. But patina earned by years of hard work and sweat is a beautiful thing, in my book! :)
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

What the heck is a Soodlum?
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog