Aluminum anodized Whistle properties

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MichelleRH
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have a high g carbony, 2 cheap composite D and C whistles that sound like recorders, a wood Eric high D, a brass Tony Dixon A whistle and a Tony Dixon Low D in my collection and I would like to learn more about Irish whistle.

Aluminum anodized Whistle properties

Post by MichelleRH »

Hi! This is my first post. I am looking at getting an MK Pro Low D whistle. I was looking in Canada (as I am in the US) and found a distributer for the MK but they only have silver. I see that the colored ones look somewhat matte and I can't tell if the silver is shiny (like nickel) and I was worried that it might be slippery and hard to hold. Can anyone tell me if the surface texture would be different?

I currently don't have any aluminum whistles-I have brass, carbonite, wood, pvc and that composite.

Michelle
RLindner
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for 2 years now and I'm always looking for new instruments.

Cheers and greetings from Germany

Re: Aluminum anodized Whistle properties

Post by RLindner »

Hi Michelle,

I owned MKs in different colours (silver, black and green). They are all anodized, the silver one too.
Therefore they feel roughly the same.

Regards, Rainer
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

Welcome to the forum, Michelle!

Speaking generally, and if memory serves me correctly, the process of anodizing leaves a surface relatively smooth. I believe most nickel-plated whistles are polished, and therefore tend to be rather slippery. When my nickel Generation arrives, I'll know for sure about that slippery quality. My nickel Dixon, on the other hand, has more of a brushed finish and isn't the least bit slippery. I would think that an anodized finish would be more slippery than brass, but not as slippery as polished nickel.

I hope I've at least been somewhat helpful.
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

All MK whistles I've seen so far had two areas of corrugated surface for the thumbs, therefore you shouldn't have to worry about slipperiness.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

My anodised MK has a surface that is slightly like a 'smooth sandpaper' - it's neither shiny smooth nor rough - I find it comfortable to hold, without it slipping, (mine is an 'F').
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
bruce.b
Tell us something.: I’m a whistle, fiddle and tenor guitar player. Mostly low D, mostly Irish trad, but I’ll try any fiddle tune on whistle.

Post by bruce.b »

Silver MK whistles are anodized like all the other MK colors, and the surface is the same. It’s a textired surface, not smooth. It looks great. I love the anodized finishes on MK’s.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

bruce.b wrote:Silver MK whistles are anodized like all the other MK colors, and the surface is the same. It’s a textired surface, not smooth.
Interesting, seems that at some point MK changed.

I owned six different tunable Low Ds (pre-Kelpie, pre-Pro, back when all MKs were tunable) and all had an extremely smooth glossy glass-like finish.

I never found them "slippery" due to the whistle and my hands being dry. I think they would have to be smeared in grease or something to be slippery, in my understanding of that term.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

MK Whistles used to come in both shiny & matte finishes. It looks like the matte finish has won out as the only currently available option.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

kkrell wrote:MK Whistles used to come in both shiny & matte finishes. It looks like the matte finish has won out as the only currently available option.
I don't remember seeing a matte one at the time I bought mine, used (back in the late 2000's). As best I can recall their site only pictured glossy ones at that time.

If people want a whistle rough as 80-grit sandpaper the Reviol I used to have was like that (Low C/D/Eb set). I didn't like that feel one bit.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
ecadre
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by ecadre »

Dan A. wrote:Welcome to the forum, Michelle!

Speaking generally, and if memory serves me correctly, the process of anodizing leaves a surface relatively smooth. I believe most nickel-plated whistles are polished, and therefore tend to be rather slippery. When my nickel Generation arrives, I'll know for sure about that slippery quality. My nickel Dixon, on the other hand, has more of a brushed finish and isn't the least bit slippery. I would think that an anodized finish would be more slippery than brass, but not as slippery as polished nickel.

I hope I've at least been somewhat helpful.
Dixon uses a copper-nickel alloy for its tubes, ie. they're not brass plated with nickel like Generations/Feadogs etc.
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

ecadre wrote:Dixon uses a copper-nickel alloy for its tubes, ie. they're not brass plated with nickel like Generations/Feadogs etc.
Thanks for clarifying that. It also explains why my Dixon Trad doesn't sound as bright as I expected it would.
MichelleRH
Tell us something.: I have a high g carbony, 2 cheap composite D and C whistles that sound like recorders, a wood Eric high D, a brass Tony Dixon A whistle and a Tony Dixon Low D in my collection and I would like to learn more about Irish whistle.

Post by MichelleRH »

Thanks to everyone for your responses. As you know, MK Pros are on the spendier end of the whistle spectrum and so I want to make sure I do good research. My Dixon Low D is so quiet and takes so much air I feel short of breath!
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Tony Dixon used to make brass Trad whistles, then they used nickel, but now they don't seem to do a Trad model any more.

Their present website seems to only show ABS & aluminium whistles & flutes.

(I have brass Trad 'G', 'A', & high 'D' whistles, also 2 brass piccolos.)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Dan A.

Post by Dan A. »

fatmac wrote:Tony Dixon used to make brass Trad whistles, then they used nickel, but now they don't seem to do a Trad model any more.

Their present website seems to only show ABS & aluminium whistles & flutes.
Their Web site shows that the Cupro Nickel Trad D, but not the brass Trad D, is available. Hopefully the brass is just out of stock. If it's been discontinued, I'll be compelled to hunt one down. Guess I have WhOAD after all...
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

And they still don't offer that full-metal model that they said would be ready for xmas 2019! There was even already a youtube video with the prototype a year ago.