Monster Grips for slippery whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Monster Grips for slippery whistles

Post by Nanohedron »

Garick wrote:How many fiddles without rests attached have you seen people playing recently?
Sorry, but I just can't resist:

This is the typical Carnatic style of playing violin, with the head resting on the foot. As you can see, with this approach there's no need for a chin rest. Some players do have them, but they probably play Western music as well.

Anyway, sorry for the sidetrack.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
bruce.b
Tell us something.: I’m a whistle, fiddle and tenor guitar player. Mostly low D, mostly Irish trad, but I’ll try any fiddle tune on whistle.

Post by bruce.b »

Nanohedron wrote:
Garick wrote:How many fiddles without rests attached have you seen people playing recently?
Sorry, but I just can't resist:

This is the typical Carnatic style of playing violin, with the head resting on the foot. As you can see, with this approach there's no need for a chin rest. Some players do have them, but they probably play Western music as well.

Anyway, sorry for the sidetrack.
I have to try that!
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

Nanohedron wrote:This is the typical Carnatic style of playing violin, with the head resting on the foot.
Perhaps that could also work for supporting a low whistle?
The Lurking Fear

Post by The Lurking Fear »

Garick wrote: It's not like the guitar that almost everybody who plays music at least tries to learn.
As popular as gitfiddles are I think that's an erroneous assumption,sir.

Back to the issue at hand.
Excluding having very small hands or a physical problem I just don't get people having trouble holding onto any of the smaller whistles,at least down to Bb. When I was younger and had no wheels I often walked for miles.Where I live it's hilly,and even a slow pace for me is quicker than most others' normal pace.So in warm seasons my hands sweated.A lot. Outside of the rare oops which was due to the walking I've never experienced this ongoing stability problem. Plus I used to prefer the nickel finishes,although like all finishes they would eventually wear off.

For beginners it may just be getting used to the pressure and balance required with both lips and digits,especially the thumbs, to keep things stable.That,not unlike using a pen,is just a matter of familiarity which becomes unconscious.

Oh,don't get the wrong idea.I don't use my lips to help hold a pen!
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Nanohedron wrote:Sorry, but I just can't resist:
I was trying to resist but you've started now. Here's one example a bit closer to home that immediately came to mind:

And there was this:
The whistle is a niche instrument. It's not like the guitar that almost everybody who plays music at least tries to learn.
To which I can only say I happen to live in a country where the whistle is part of the National school curriculum. Everybody has a go at some point, whether they like it or not. :P
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Garick wrote: How many fiddles without rests attached have you seen people playing recently?
Where I'm from, pretty much all of them.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Garick
Tell us something.: New whistle player looking to upgrade from a mass-produced whistle to something intermediate. Apparently that didn't equal 100 characters or more, but I have little to add other than that I am currently playing a Clarke original, Freeman tweak.

Post by Garick »

:thumbsup: Alright, it was just an example. If you prefer, we can go with "how many electric guitars without strap-pegs have you seen people play recently?"

Point is that mods for holding instruments are not inherently "cheating," or belittling the instrument, as long as they don't inhibit the tone production, and the fact that some people become very successful without them does not mean that they are therefore universally unnecessary.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

All the keys on the boehm flute are cheating--that's why you never see anybody playing them in any professional orchestra anywhere
bruce.b
Tell us something.: I’m a whistle, fiddle and tenor guitar player. Mostly low D, mostly Irish trad, but I’ll try any fiddle tune on whistle.

Post by bruce.b »

Wow, I never would have guessed this topic would generate these responses when I started it. It was a heads up because the grips worked for me and I’ve read that other people have also sometimes found my two main whistles a bit slippery, the nickel Killarney and an MK low D. I don’t really need them on the Killarney, but they clearly help me with securely holding my MK. I love the anodized finishes on MK’s, but they are slippery. I don’t need nor have I put these on my other low D’s, an Optima and a Reyburn. If my hands are dry I do moisten them before playing, so I will probably put them on all my low D’s at some point so I don’t have to worry about dry hands.

Anyway, I now want to play around with some alternate ways of holding my fiddle, primarily for fun, but you never know.
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Sorry, but I just can't resist:
I was trying to resist but you've started now. Here's one example a bit closer to home that immediately came to mind:

Doug Kershaw the Cajun fiddler plays like that all the time, standing up and dancing around while he's playing.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Dan A. wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:This is the typical Carnatic style of playing violin, with the head resting on the foot.
Perhaps that could also work for supporting a low whistle?
I don't know; can your foot blow into a fipple?

Just joshing. I suppose if you're able to do it without your foot blocking the bell opening too much, you could forget grip aids. You'd also have to be able to sit cross-legged pretty easily.
PB+J wrote:All the keys on the boehm flute are cheating--that's why you never see anybody playing them in any professional orchestra anywhere
Whaaaaa...?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Actually quite a few West Virginia fiddlers' instruments have chin rests- but they're not anywhere close to the fiddler's faces.

I assume the rests came attached to the fiddles when they were purchased, and let be, seeing as they ain't doing nobody no harm none.

Vestigial rather than functional, in other words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ADmzJ9nrHw
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Nanohedron wrote:
PB+J wrote:All the keys on the boehm flute are cheating--that's why you never see anybody playing them in any professional orchestra anywhere
Whaaaaa...?
Sarcasm
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

PB+J wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
Whaaaaa...?
Sarcasm
Oh. Duh on me. Mom always said I inherited my gullibility from her.
RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Post by RoberTunes »

"Someone needs to start making a 3 kilogram high D whistle that's lacquer-finished to be extremely smooth, so we separate the stores that sell musical instruments VS those that sell Irish jewelry" .... :thumbsup: ..... Alexis Sopranino (Injury lawyer to 13 national soccer teams).