Obituary of sorts (no one died)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Obituary of sorts (no one died)

Post by TonyHiggins »

Thought I'd better cross-post this as it probably won't get seen otherwise. (No offense taken.)

Didn't think you'd see a zombie rise from the grave, eh? Look again. As of Oct 17, 2020, tinwhistletunes.com, aka clips & snips will go off line for ever. While more venues appeared with more traffic for music posters, I held onto the site thinking I'd repurpose it for something else. But, even for those ideas, the site is redundant, so time to stop giving the hosters money for nothing. If you have any tunes on it you'd like to retrieve for nostalgic reasons or to cover your tracks, they'll be there for a couple of weeks. I also have everything stored at home so you can always contact me through the message system here and I'll email you whatever you like. (I'll need your name, tune title, and category- jig, reel, etc.) If I'm leaving any loose ends, please let me know.
Tony Higgins
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Obituary of sorts (no one died)

Post by Nanohedron »

The end of an era. We salute you.

Sent you a PM.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Thanks for all you have done, Tony. You are appreciated, Sir.
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TonyHiggins »

Thanks for your expressions of appreciation. When the site started, I took it over as third owner and ran it since. (I checked; the first entry is in 2002, so approximately around then.) It was a lot of fun emailing back and forth with enthusiastic whistle (and other instrument) players and posting our tunes. Of course, it started exclusively with C&F members, but evolved to include people from all over the world, including Russia, China, and Argentina, to name a few random spots on the globe. Would have been cool to get a post from a future Mars colony, but that's for another generation.

I developed some fond email friendships as a result of the interactions, people I would have loved to meet in person. Some of us did get together back around 2003. The site has some photos if you scroll down the left side of the newspage: http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/Ch ... ing05.html This was one of several yearly parties at my mom's house in San Pablo, CA. Almost all the people in the photos are C&Fers or their SO's. Some people drove quite a distance to attend. There are some live music links on the page as well. You may notice the beginners' compulsion to play faster as a set progresses. (Took me years to break that habit.) My mom, 92, is still in that house and Lance/Weekender still lives 2 blocks down the street. I always look at his house when I swing by. If he's working on his lawn or in his garage, I pull up and yack with him for an hour or two.

Just for fun: http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/Chiff10-06.htm An Irish cousin, attending my sister's wedding, taught everyone a slide, which another sister remembered and taught to the party goers. Maybe when the pandemic is over...

So, presently, I'm out of the loop. Is there a central location where C&F people share tunes? I got away from self recording a while back. I could be enticed to put something out there if there was a sharing place. Probably not TikTok, huh?
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

TonyHiggins wrote:... Lance/Weekender still lives 2 blocks down the street.
Please say Hi to him for me!
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
AngelicBeaver
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Post by AngelicBeaver »

TonyHiggins wrote: So, presently, I'm out of the loop. Is there a central location where C&F people share tunes? I got away from self recording a while back. I could be enticed to put something out there if there was a sharing place. Probably not TikTok, huh?
People typically post on either YouTube or Soundcloud and then share it to their platform of choice.

These days, I see and interact with more stuff on Facebook groups like "Tinwhistle/Pennywhistle Resource". There's also a "Chiff and Fipple" group and "The Irish Low Whistle", but they don't seem to be as popular, though people often join all three.

Of course, there are those who won't use Facebook at all, so it's not a perfect replacement for this forum, and I suspect that some are even migrating back here to get away from the more toxic aspects of the Facebook ecosystem. I've also seen some who limit their participation on Facebook to just the groups they enjoy. Personally, I've got five or six groups that I'd hate to lose, and so I'm hoping Facebook will eventually choose to be more responsible with its platform in the future, or that someone will create a viable replacement.
Nathaniel James Dowell
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

AngelicBeaver wrote:
TonyHiggins wrote: So, presently, I'm out of the loop. Is there a central location where C&F people share tunes? I got away from self recording a while back. I could be enticed to put something out there if there was a sharing place. Probably not TikTok, huh?
People typically post on either YouTube or Soundcloud and then share it to their platform of choice.

These days, I see and interact with more stuff on Facebook groups like "Tinwhistle/Pennywhistle Resource". There's also a "Chiff and Fipple" group and "The Irish Low Whistle", but they don't seem to be as popular, though people often join all three.

Of course, there are those who won't use Facebook at all, so it's not a perfect replacement for this forum, and I suspect that some are even migrating back here to get away from the more toxic aspects of the Facebook ecosystem. I've also seen some who limit their participation on Facebook to just the groups they enjoy. Personally, I've got five or six groups that I'd hate to lose, and so I'm hoping Facebook will eventually choose to be more responsible with its platform in the future, or that someone will create a viable replacement.
Well, not to put too fine a point on it, but they share tunes here, too, and have been doing so for quite some time. It just went away from being centralized within the Clips & Snips format.
AngelicBeaver
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Post by AngelicBeaver »

Nanohedron wrote:
AngelicBeaver wrote:

Well, not to put too fine a point on it, but they share tunes here, too, and have been doing so for quite some time. It just went away from being centralized within the Clips & Snips format.
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that this wasn't also a place to share, hence the "platform of choice" part, but I suppose I did go off on a bit of a tangent.
Nathaniel James Dowell
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

AngelicBeaver wrote:Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that this wasn't also a place to share, hence the "platform of choice" part, but I suppose I did go off on a bit of a tangent.
C&F's dream of world conquest hasn't died yet, you know. :wink:
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Nanohedron wrote:C&F's dream of world conquest hasn't died yet, you know. :wink:
Oh geez, not you too....

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Steve Bliven wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:C&F's dream of world conquest hasn't died yet, you know. :wink:
Oh geez, not you too....
Too? It's been the plan for almost twenty years, now - waaaaay ahead of the latest poseurs. C'mon, world: Give us a triumphal quadriga and toss roses at us.
AngelicBeaver

Post by AngelicBeaver »

Nanohedron wrote:
Steve Bliven wrote:
Oh geez, not you too....
Too? It's been the plan for almost twenty years, now - waaaaay ahead of the latest poseurs. C'mon, world: Give us a triumphal quadriga and toss roses at us.
The world is hungry for a Facebook alternative. I think this is the Chiff board's moment.
Nathaniel James Dowell
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

AngelicBeaver wrote:The world is hungry for a Facebook alternative. I think this is the Chiff board's moment.
Could be; last I checked, retro appeal is still a thing.

Do you know that we sign on hundreds of new members every year? Seriously. Literally, hundreds. Legitimate ones, too; I'm not counting spammers, here. Most new members opt to be reservists, if you will, and just go back to lurking, but if that's their comfort zone, that's fine too. But based on the daily count of new C&F members alone, apparently old-fashioned does not mean passé.