Sessions in RI

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Charles Montgomery
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Looking for advice on Celtic Flutes and other instruments. I amuse myself playing the Boehm Flute, Bamboo, and a few antique flutes that I have found. I am retiring soon from my career as a consultant in the Energy Industry. Chiff and Fipple looks interesting. Some day I would try to play the Uillienn Pipes but these look hard and complex. I sang Baritone in the choir at my church (Unitarian) in Providence before the Pandemic hit.

Sessions in RI

Post by Charles Montgomery »

Do anyone know of a beginners Irish session with flutes near Quonochontaug or Weekapaug (in Rhode Island)?

Chuck
Mr.Gumby

Re: Sessions in RI

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Do anyone know of a beginners Irish session with flutes
Is that sort of thing going ahead at all right now? :shock:

Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

A most pertinent question, Mr. G.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

There are some sessions going on in the New England area—with cautionary limitations, e.g. outdoors, masks for all but wind players, social distancing (with additional distancing for wind players, aka aerosol launching personnel), and no exchange of instruments. The acoustics leave a bit to be desired - hard to hear some of the folks at the far side of the circle—and groups are limited to small numbers (something that isn't necessarily bad). But it does let some music lift spirits.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

My local Irish music association has suspended all in-person events until further notice. Nice to hear that, despite some constraints, there is at least some activity going on in the Northeast.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

The Detroit Irish Music Association is still holding weekly zoom sessions (round robin style, which is how they've always done them in person, too), so it's not fair to say they suspended all activity.
https://www.facebook.com/DetroitIMA
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DetroitIMA
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

NicoMoreno wrote:It's not fair to say they suspended all activity.
I missed the bit about Zoom sessions when I last visited their Web site; I'll likely join in on one next week. However, all in-person activities remain suspended.