MK Pro G question

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
WhistleTunes
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi! I’ve been a trad musician most of my life on the highland pipes. Been playing whistles and flute for about a year now.

MK Pro G question

Post by WhistleTunes »

I have an MK F and an MK A. I like the idea of an MK G but one person told me they share the F bore size and are thus hard to play due to air requirements. I have scoured the web and can’t find much on the MK G. I’d love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!
WhistleTunes
Tell us something.: Hi! I’ve been a trad musician most of my life on the highland pipes. Been playing whistles and flute for about a year now.

Re: MK Pro G question

Post by WhistleTunes »

So, I took a chance and bought an MK Pro G being afraid I wouldn’t like it since it shares a common bore size with the F. It turns out the that MK G is FANTASTIC! Great tone, well balanced, not a screamer in the upper register at all. I’m glad I took a risk on it.
TxWhistler
Tell us something.: I have recently retired and have always wanted to learn to play a musical instrument. I'm leaning to play the whistle and now the flute.

Post by TxWhistler »

Thanks for the feedback. That's good to know.
stanton135
Tell us something.: Hi Nano. I was somewhat active on the Chiffboards maybe 5 or 6 years ago, participating in several whistle tours (Bracker, Hardy, Ellis). I took a break from the Chiffboards, and music mostly, for several years because I got a full-time job and had a baby. I'm easing back into the music, though (which is great, I missed it). It's good to be back!

Post by stanton135 »

Yes, thanks for keeping us updated! Is there anything else you're noticing about the G? I also have an F, and recently got the A. (I'm working on a detailed review of the A, but I need more time with it first.)

I'm eyeing the G and wondering similar things to what you were before you got it. How do you find the G's highest notes compare to those of the F or the A? Is it as easy as the A up high, or easier?
WhistleTunes

Post by WhistleTunes »

stanton135 wrote:Yes, thanks for keeping us updated! Is there anything else you're noticing about the G? I also have an F, and recently got the A. (I'm working on a detailed review of the A, but I need more time with it first.)

I'm eyeing the G and wondering similar things to what you were before you got it. How do you find the G's highest notes compare to those of the F or the A? Is it as easy as the A up high, or easier?
I’m really finding the G quite comfortable throughout. I’m usually pretty skeptical of whistles sharing common bore sizes across keys. Usually, if you have a well designed whistle in one key, I find go up a key with the same bore produces an air hog screamer, especially in the upper register. I’ve admittedly not had a great deal of time this week to really put this whistle through its paces, but one of the first things I did when I got it was to see how it feels from bottom to top and it really feels good! I love my F and I will say the F has an almost flute-like sound quality that I don’t find in the G, but the G is strong and definitely pleasing to listen to and play.
stanton135
Tell us something.: Hi Nano. I was somewhat active on the Chiffboards maybe 5 or 6 years ago, participating in several whistle tours (Bracker, Hardy, Ellis). I took a break from the Chiffboards, and music mostly, for several years because I got a full-time job and had a baby. I'm easing back into the music, though (which is great, I missed it). It's good to be back!

Post by stanton135 »

That's good info, thank you. I'm glad to hear you like it. A couple other questions: can you confirm that it's the same bore size as the F? Are the window dimensions different, to compensate? How's the octave tuning?
WhistleTunes

Post by WhistleTunes »

stanton135 wrote:That's good info, thank you. I'm glad to hear you like it. A couple other questions: can you confirm that it's the same bore size as the F? Are the window dimensions different, to compensate? How's the octave tuning?
Sorry it took me so long to reply. Bore size is the same. Window is the same as well. I measured the window with a caliper this morning and it’s the same. Windway also looks the same, so I’m claiming black magic trickery. Whatever makes the G work just does a good job. I’ve not put the whistle to a tuner yet, but to my ear it sounds great. I like to spend a bit of time getting used to a whistle before measuring it against a tuner to make sure I’m not causing issues.