Advice on buying a 6-key wooden flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
srampino
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing flute since October 2019. Flutes: practice flute by Hammy Hamilton, R&R-based Delrin keyless by Vincenzo di Mauro, Pratten-based Delrin keyless by Rob Forbes, R&R 6-key polymer M&E, R&R-based 8-key Delrin by Vincenzo di Mauro, R&R 6-key African blackwood by Steffen Gabriel. Based in Pisa, Italy.

Advice on buying a 6-key wooden flute

Post by srampino »

Hi all,

I attended my first session last Wednesday and that was a fantastic experience. I was there with my (beloved) delrin Forbes flute and was lucky enough to hear a Geert Lejeune and a Sam Murray wooden flute from two other players. I fell very much in love with the tone of the Sam Murray’s flute (I am aware that 95% of the tone comes from the player, but I believe there was something special in the flute as well).

Brief, I am planning to buy e 6-key high-quality blackwood flute and would have gone for the Sam Murray but, as far as I understand, the flutemaker is not making flutes anymore.

Here comes the point of this post:

1) Could you point to me to something similar to Sam Murray’s flutes?

2) In my search for a wooden flutes over these last few days, I was attracted by two flutemakers: Gilles Lehart (good reputation, great tone on recordings and, above all, short waiting list) and Solen Lesouef (to what I can hear, the tone that attracts me most). Do you have experience with these two flutes?

3) Any suggestions of other flutemakers?

I am seeking advice especially from experienced players who have played several different flutes. Please feel free to PM me if you’d prefer keeping private your comments on the flutes.

(also posted on thesession.org)

Thank you very much for your help
Sergio
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Advice on buying a 6-key wooden flute

Post by kkrell »

srampino wrote:Brief, I am planning to buy e 6-key high-quality blackwood flute and would have gone for the Sam Murray but, as far as I understand, the flutemaker is not making flutes anymore.
According to the McNeela website, Sam Murray flutes are available with an approx. 6-month waiting time. They list a 6-key price on this page:
https://mcneelamusic.com/sam-murray-6-k ... stom-made/

You might inquire of them. From previous views of their website, & reports of purchases, they seem to be handling that particular business end of flutes coming from his workshop. Also, from previous threads on C&F, you might see it suggested that purchases direct from Sam Murray are sometimes rife with difficulty.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

Solen Lesouef makes fine quality keyed flutes. As does flute player and flute maker Steffen Gabriel based in Germany: https://www.gabrielflutes.com/english#en-preise

Both Solen and Steffen are trustworthy people besides making great sounding flutes.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Dave Copley
Gcobean
Tell us something.: Paddy Maloney rules! Ok, seriously though, I love the Chieftains. I'm here for whistle and flute discussions. Looking at the classifieds as well.

Post by Gcobean »

Don't.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

I have been mostly exposed to the boatload of Olwells in Chicago sessions and my own Wilkes. But I would give a hearty recommendation to Glenn Watson's instruments. Again, you might say it's the player, but the Glenn Watson that came through our session was great. There was a Sam Murray years ago, but I don't remember it well, so I am comparing to Olwells. I've heard a hearty player here in Chi-town absolutely honking on a Noy, so that may be something to look into too. There was also a Morvan in the for sale part of this site a while ago if i remember right. That may be worth a look.

I think there have been a number of threads on Sam Murray flutes here over the years. I'd give them a read through.

If you are particularly interested in Sam Murray flutes you could run a WTB in the Used Instrument Exchange. I have known people to have found instruments and unicorns that way. :D
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

The reason I mention Dave Copley's flutes is that I've played them for 18 years, including a blackwood 6 key. The quality is high, the workmanship is very good, and the prices are reasonable. Dave himself is one of the nicest and most helpful people to do business with. This is a good deal why he has prospered. FWIW
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

Gcobean wrote:Don't.
I'm confused. Don't do what?

I wasn't able to find a Web site for Sam Murray, but McNeela Music has Sam Murray flutes on offer, and it's at least strongly implicit that Mr. Murray is still producing them. If that's not a viable option, then Busterbill took the words right outta my mouth: try the UIE.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Dan, to be blunt. Kkrell has pointed out that direct dealings with Sam Murray, particularly for purchasers who are not his immediate neighbors, and for purchasers who are not IN Ireland, have been fraught with difficulties. This has been well documented through the years in many discussions here on Chiff and Fipple. You can use the search function to help you remedy any ignorance you may have in this matter.
Purchasing through McNeela may help alleviate some of the uncertainty of making such a purchase. No one that I know of has said McNeela sells instruments he does not readily have to hand. I am, however willing to be corrected in this matter.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Gcobean
Tell us something.: Paddy Maloney rules! Ok, seriously though, I love the Chieftains. I'm here for whistle and flute discussions. Looking at the classifieds as well.

Post by Gcobean »

I feel the OP is in over his head. First session + delrin flute straight to a 6 key blackwood? I think keyed flutes are overrated, not necessary for 90% of players, and extremely costly + more upkeep, but that's my opinion. So when I say dont im nicely trying to say just go keyless :)

Dan A. wrote:
Gcobean wrote:Don't.
I'm confused. Don't do what?

I wasn't able to find a Web site for Sam Murray, but McNeela Music has Sam Murray flutes on offer, and it's at least strongly implicit that Mr. Murray is still producing them. If that's not a viable option, then Busterbill took the words right outta my mouth: try the UIE.
BKWeid
Tell us something.: I really enjoy the information and experience from the members on this forum. I've learned so much from the long time members about ITM, flutes, and whistles in general. I also enjoy the humor and culture. Instrument reviews have been helpful and the posts on embouchure are priceless. As I generally don't get out to sessions, the information from this board is my only connection at times to the music.

Post by BKWeid »

I thought your, "Don't" was aimed at Copley and I was up-in-arms to respond. lol

Copley makes very good instruments at a good price with a short wait, in my experience.

I'd also suggest Jay Ham--excellent flute, beautifully made, with a reasonable wait period!
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

Gcobean wrote:I feel the OP is in over his head.
Thanks for clearing that up.

And I'm not wholly unfamiliar with the arduous process that acquiring a Murray flute can be. A Google search for "Sam Murray Flutes" will return C&F posts documenting that. I was merely throwing out an option. It is a good example of the time-honored adage: caveat emptor.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Gcobean wrote:I feel the OP is in over his head. First session + delrin flute straight to a 6 key blackwood?
So what? He might be a 'novice simple-system flute player' (profile description), but I'd not read 'first session' as 'zero experience' when he already has two keyless flutes. There are no laws saying it's all about sessions or forbidding keys for x number of years!
I think keyed flutes are overrated
I don't.
not necessary for 90% of players
Who knows?
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Andro
Tell us something.: Beginning flute and whistle player. Starting out seriously in Irish Traditional Music. Also interested in flute making.

Post by Andro »

I have a simply divine Murray keyless blackwood flute I purchased from McNeela Music a while back. No matter Murray's personal quirks and difficulties dealing with people, this is a first rate instrument with stunning tone and the Deil with have to rip it from my hands when I die. In discussion with McNeela I understand one can order Murray keyed flutes, but they are not directly on hand and require a waiting time of six months. While I cannot validate it with certainly I also understand he is back to work and with his son or apprentice and slowly and steadily making instruments after a long hiatus, but not himself dealing directly with customers. And no, he has never had a website as far as I know. Some people don't (hard though that may be to believe in 2020!).

Speaking of fine makers, allow me to also recommend Terry McGee here in Australia. I know he's making keyed instruments because he just posted about ordering a bulk set of sterling keys to keep him going for some time.
srampino
Tell us something.: Playing flute since October 2019. Flutes: practice flute by Hammy Hamilton, R&R-based Delrin keyless by Vincenzo di Mauro, Pratten-based Delrin keyless by Rob Forbes, R&R 6-key polymer M&E, R&R-based 8-key Delrin by Vincenzo di Mauro, R&R 6-key African blackwood by Steffen Gabriel. Based in Pisa, Italy.

Post by srampino »

I suppose I'm in the 10% then. Yes, I have two Delrin flutes: an R&R-like by Vincenzo di Mauro and a Pratten-like one by Rob Forbes - and I love them both. I definitely need keys on my next flute, and I was thinking of moving to wood as the cost would by only slightly higher and I could experience the difference. Thanks for the Gabriel, Ham, Copley and McGee valuable suggestions!