Smallest Pistol Type Case for 8 Key flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Smallest Pistol Type Case for 8 Key flute

Post by Jayhawk »

So, I have a beautiful wooden case made for my 8 keyed Copley and a Pelican pistol case, but I would love a smaller plastic case (the Pelican Pistol case has an annoyingly large handle).

Any suggestions for a small footprint plastic case for an 8 keyed flute?

Thanks,

Eric
Conical bore

Re: Smallest Pistol Type Case for 8 Key flute

Post by Conical bore »

When I bought my secondhand 8-key flute, it didn't come with a very good case. So while waiting to get a better one on custom order, I bought this cheap Cedar Hills pistol case:

https://www.amazon.com/Lockable-Revolve ... istol+case

This was for a Rudall-type flute, I can't recall if it's long enough for a Pratten style with the long body section but you can check the specs. Note that it's a flimsy case like all these lightweight plastic ones, nothing like a Pelican but a lot lighter and smaller. Good enough if you're careful.

The custom Northwind case that I eventually got was pricey but very well made, and actually smaller than the pistol case because there is no wasted space.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Or this one (Rudall, too short for a Pratten without angling it), for less. There are also 2-gun versions if you need other dimensions.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014VXJY8/
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

It's not exactly a tiny footprint, but McNeela in Ireland sells a case that holds a flute nicely and also has room for whistles. It's long enough for a Pratten, but a Rudall style will fit in there as well as far as I can tell.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I am definitely after a case for a Rudall styled flute. However, why do they all come with handles? That takes up so much extra space!

Eroc
Normski
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Normski »

Have a look at the Vanguard VGP 3202 camera case. You can customise the foam insert and the handle is hinged.
Conical bore

Post by Conical bore »

Jayhawk wrote:I am definitely after a case for a Rudall styled flute. However, why do they all come with handles? That takes up so much extra space!
It's not just the handle, it's the wasted internal space because any pistol case is the wrong shape. Here's the plastic Cedar Hill case I got as a temporary one:

And here's the custom Northwind "French style" case. It's a little thicker top to bottom, but also much stronger with the leather-covered wooden shell. The overall size is efficient and easy to throw into a backpack or shoulder bag:

Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

I wonder if we're barking up the wrong tree expecting to find small enough pistol cases? Back "in my day" we used to wrap our flutes in a tea-towel and secure them in tupperware style plastic boxes. A bit outdated, but it makes me wonder if there are other types of boxes other than pistol cases that would be a more efficient starting point?

Plastic lunch box? (I admit they usually come in garish colours!). Any bright ideas?
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

You may be onto something Terry. Tool case? Pencil box? I may need to explore options. Having recently traveled through Eastern Colorado on vacation I wished I had a smaller flute case so I could take my 8 key flute with me instead of my keyless travel flute, which is a fine flute but I last played it two years ago and I'm just a one flute kind of guy.

Time to Google plastic box sizes for other items.

Thanks,

Eric
Conical bore

Post by Conical bore »

Terry and Jayhawk... this isn't a new problem that hasn't already been figured out years ago. The leather-covered wood "French style" case from Northwind or other suppliers is the most protective and most compact way to carry a flute around, whether keyed or not. It's a design problem that has already been solved!

Sure, it's not the least expensive way to do it, which I can understand, up to a point. But I'm someone who has paid hundreds of dollars for nice fiberglass cases for my mandolin and guitars, and my S.O. has done the same for her fiddle. I can't understand not wanting to pay a decent price for equivalent protection for a higher-end flute. These case solutions are out there, you just have to spend for it.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

This case is small and discrete looking and has no handle

https://www.libertysafe.com/accessory-m ... g-150.html

It's magnetic, which might do you no good at all, but it's small.

Looking for pistol cases quickly takes one into some unwholesome worlds.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I’m a fan of the North Wind cases as well.

That said, Eric, have you checked here https://mycasebuilder.com/ You can search for cases by the dimensions you are looking for.
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

Ooh...cool Loren. Thank you!
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

You’re welcome, I hope it helps!
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

Conical bore wrote:Terry and Jayhawk... this isn't a new problem that hasn't already been figured out years ago. The leather-covered wood "French style" case from Northwind or other suppliers is the most protective and most compact way to carry a flute around, whether keyed or not. It's a design problem that has already been solved!
I'm torn, Conical. I don't have a personal problem. I offer really nice hardwood flute cases, and a cheaper line of economy flute cases. But I come across people who want a case, but would prefer to put as much money as possible into the flute, not the case. And I come across people who want the most slim, rugged, portable and lightweight case, not the prettiest. So I don't think we are there yet.

I did kind of hope that someone, a woodworker perhaps, in our group might say, hey, I could make cheap but effective cases on demand. But maybe that's too much to hope. Which takes us back to finding an existing box of about the right size. Lining it isn't much of an issue.