Is this an MK? Why is it like that?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Is this an MK? Why is it like that?

Post by pancelticpiper »

This is strange, the photo says it all.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Low-D-Whistle- ... SwmZJfXC0R

All the MKs I've seen/owned had a bright polished aluminium blade, this one is dark with striations. Does anybody know why?
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Re: Is this an MK? Why is it like that?

Post by Narzog »

Could be a bad paint attempt, was sanded badly, or corrosion? Looks fishy. And for the price hes asking id just get a new one haha.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I haven't seen a new MK in a while, I didn't know if he changed the design or something.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Looks like a painting attempt with a black marker. And only 7 dollars less than a new one :boggle:.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

I think it's just a reflection of other objects on the non-anodized part curve of the blade. Looks like the photos were taken in isolation of a real background, maybe used Photoshop to remove/fill the background.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
TxWhistler
Tell us something.: I have recently retired and have always wanted to learn to play a musical instrument. I'm leaning to play the whistle and now the flute.

Post by TxWhistler »

I think the bright aluminum blade is there, it's just the "pixelation" (if that's even a word!) in that photo is distorting things. Look at the finger holes (you'll need to zoom in with your mouse to make the picture larger). You can see the pixels are making them look somewhat "foggy" or distorted. That, I think, is what is making the whole whistle look "funky".

I think the whistle is ok, it's just whatever program or process was done on the original photo is making it look strange.

But as someone else mentioned, the price is not very good. (IMHO)
RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Post by RoberTunes »

No confirmation of brand, no descriptive text, and "from an auction" gives me the shakes when considering they ask $200US for it. Just too much and much too little.
paddler

Post by paddler »

I think the color on the blade is just a reflection. Both the whistle and the case in that eBay ad look identical
to an MK low D Kelpie whistle that I bought recently, and which I really like.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Sure, it's a Kelpie but way too expensive for a used one. I'd rather get a new one. I quite like mine.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

kkrell wrote:I think it's just a reflection of other objects on the non-anodized part curve of the blade. Looks like the photos were taken in isolation of a real background, maybe used Photoshop to remove/fill the background.

I wondered about photoshop too or complex lighting in the photo. It might be the lister had to fiddle with the picture to get the holes to show up. The internal lighting and darkening tool on ebay is fairly crude. Or it could be corrosion. It definitely looks like an MK otherwise.