Finger Exercises

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jeggy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Started playing trad about 25 years ago with tin whistles, and bought first flute about 20 years ago. Played very sporadically, with very little discipline or tuition and unsurprisingly made little progress. Started playing again a couple of years ago after not playing much for 15-16 years.

Re: Finger Exercises

Post by Jeggy »

I made the switch from holding the flute in the way it felt most naturally secure without any tuition to a rockstro hold a few months ago. This was in anticipation of getting a keyed flute in the near future. It feels awkward at first but with time it becomes more natural. One of the side effects of using this hold was that I was able to gain a lot of dexterity in my fingers while playing and this has markedly improved the clarity and consistency of my finger ornamentations. I also do a number of drills to improve taps, cuts, rolls etc provided to me by my teacher. But I believe without altering my hold, progress would have been much slower.

I will say, I'm still struggling a bit in removing the right little finger as a support. But working on it.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Jeggy wrote:I made the switch from holding the flute in the way it felt most naturally secure without any tuition to a rockstro hold a few months ago. This was in anticipation of getting a keyed flute in the near future. It feels awkward at first but with time it becomes more natural. One of the side effects of using this hold was that I was able to gain a lot of dexterity in my fingers while playing and this has markedly improved the clarity and consistency of my finger ornamentations. I also do a number of drills to improve taps, cuts, rolls etc provided to me by my teacher. But I believe without altering my hold, progress would have been much slower.
I
I will say, I'm still struggling a bit in removing the right little finger as a support. But working on it.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
ryarbrough
Tell us something.: I play flute and bodhran. I'm principally a flute player, since life is too short for me to play more than one instrument well.

Post by ryarbrough »

Jemtheflute, thanks for the video. Your right thumb in the video appears to be touching the underside of the key-operating rods, which would support the Boehm flute from below. I've tried Rockstro several times over the years on simple system flutes, which of course have no rods. Every time I put a finger down to cover a hole, particularly D, E or F#, the unsupported flute slips off my right thumb and falls. What am I missing? Do you have a video of Rockstro on a simple system flute with no rods?
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Ryarbrough - did you follow the links on YT to the other two related videos? The dangling R thumb one deals with several different systems. I haven't made a specific equivalent to 1 & 2 on simple system, but it really is exactly the same except it's easier because you haven't got a rotationally unbalanced mechanism trying to roll the tube around as on Böhm!

I can assure you absolutely that I do not touch the axle rods with my R thumb on the Böhm flutes - that would potentially interfere with the key actions and is a big no-no.

I have very many simple system videos on which you can see my personal support method - some showing it from different angles, though not specifically discussing support.

Here are the main support ones already referred to plus some others which may be useful:

Flute Support 1

Flute Support 2

Dangling Left Thumb Exercise

C# Rolls on Flute (over the break, all fingers off/moving fast - requires stability!)

Footjoint key alignment

A tune video shot from above showing posture and key use: https://youtu.be/x-YtURdkyck

A flute demo video showing (in one set) flute support from end on and below - from 12'30": https://youtu.be/aFtrJjypoYA
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
blueblade
Tell us something.: I love Irish music and the making of Irish music. I'm new to it all, and want to become involved in the Irish music community.

Post by blueblade »

I've noticed two modern flute players that seem to support the flute with their right hand thumb. This leads me to believe it's at least possible to play well this way.

I'm still going to try to master the support you recommend, but I'm curious what you think of their hold.

https://youtu.be/x4rpTJX899A

https://youtu.be/GsH8Sq3NJj8
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Blueblade, I think both Steph Geremia and Kevin Crawford are superb players, far better than myself. I'm sure they do what works for them, as should we all. There are no absolute rules about this, though there are absolute rules of physics and anatomy with which we have to try to optimise our personal dealings, fitting our own bodies to the flute according to logical principles. I think that if you watch them both carefully they are in fact both making tube contact with their thumbs behind the bottom centreline. If you could get a good end on view I think you'd find they are pushing forward at least as much as up. A front on view isn't the best for assessing what's going on as different people's thumbs behave differently - my own reflex significantly, so the top appears below the flute in a straight-on, eye-level view, but the curve of it means the main contact is more behind the tube than is apparent from that angle. Of course, there are players who rest the flute on their R thumb like a shelf and who play perfectly well. But often folk who have learnt that way have issues with stability/security of support and with free, relaxed-controlled movement of fingers.
Last edited by jemtheflute on Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
blueblade
Tell us something.: I love Irish music and the making of Irish music. I'm new to it all, and want to become involved in the Irish music community.

Post by blueblade »

Everything you say makes sense to me. I'm going to watch your videos and make the changes. Thanks for your help.
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

@jem.

Point taken. The word grip does imply force. As a newby my flute hold/support was somewhat grip-like until I learned to ease up. Thus my self-sarcasm.

Excess force is normal when you are starting out, and it eases only as your muscles and hands learn how much is enough vs how much is too much. I found the Rockstro hold to be is a good doorway to a more relaxed hold.
Bcoopmando
Tell us something.: Musician considering the Irish Flute. I am a Mandolin player interested in most genres of music.
I am searching for an Irish flute to tryout and see if I like it!

Post by Bcoopmando »

I am having problems and feeling “insecure” when playing the C#! I find I need to use one of my right hand digits to comfortably stabilize the flute when all the holes are open. Is this a common feeling amongst players?
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Common enough, and logical if not achieving a properly secure support set-up.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
BKWeid
Tell us something.: I really enjoy the information and experience from the members on this forum. I've learned so much from the long time members about ITM, flutes, and whistles in general. I also enjoy the humor and culture. Instrument reviews have been helpful and the posts on embouchure are priceless. As I generally don't get out to sessions, the information from this board is my only connection at times to the music.

Post by BKWeid »

Jemtheflute and all,

This thread has been hugely helpful to me and my playing. I am very appreciative of your time in providing information and video links. I too am anticipating my first keyed flute after many years of dabbling with keyless flutes--my whistles are neglected. Off to work on applying what I'm learning!
leydog
Tell us something.: I first encountered C&F almost 20 years ago when I became interested in learning to play the whistle. I renewed that interest this year, with the help of the resources on YouTube. In addition to dedicating serious time to the whistle, I also decided to invest in learning to play the flute. Tired of hoping others would ask the questions I have, I decided it was time to join the discussion/session, rather than continue sitting on the sideline with my flute/whistle on my lap, so to speak. So I ask permission to make my contribution.

Post by leydog »

I agree, BKWeid. Jemtheflute is a veritable evangelist for good and more comfortable flute practice. I've watched all the videos he lists and have been working on my flute support. While I developed a sense of confidence that I won't drop my good flute, I "worked out" with a homemade PVC D flute that actually has a good tone and is in tune. But I was not afraid of dropping it, so I could focus on holding the flute without the additional tension of whether I would lose it. I could just as easily have used a length of 1 inch dowel; but the PVC flute provided tone holes and an embouchure for orientation.

I'm now transferring that feeling to my Casey Burns D. I think it is working, though I have to stop occasionally and take stock of posture, position, hold, embouchure, and the myriad of other matters to pay attention to. Anyway, I am grateful to this group, and especially to Jemtheflute, for helping me pay attention to good habits from the beginning.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Glad my materials are proving helpful. :)

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
cac
Tell us something.: Simple system wooden flutes, keyed and keyless. xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx

Post by cac »

I hope this post will not bring down the wrath of Jem on me (actually he seems to be a very gentle person), but I think it should be noted that while the manner of holding/balancing the flute that Rockstro described is probably the best way to do it, I doubt if anything like the majority of flutists or flute players use it. In my own case, my thumb is utterly incapable of any degree of the 'bending backwards' that, however slight, seems to be necessary to make this manner of support work. Colin O'Grada describes the more common 'thumb under' means of support in his tutor, and Grey Larsen in his actually argues against it (although not strongly if I remember correctly). In sum: try the Rockstro manner and if it doesn't work, move on with the thumb-under manner (taking care not to grip the flute tightly in the left hand (this is the manner recommended by Quantz for the Baroque flute, but I agree completely with Jem that it is to be avoided). Chet
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Chet, no wrath, but the thumb doesn't need to reflex - fleshy tip of a straight thumb against the tube is perfectly functional for a Rockstro support.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums