Recommend a sturdy Low D Whistle, please?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tyro McWindbag
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a very casual player of tin whistles. My first was a Clarke Original in (high) D.

I am registering to ask members' advice about Low D whistles sturdy enough to survive my two children's tender mercies.

Recommend a sturdy Low D Whistle, please?

Post by Tyro McWindbag »

Hello Folks:

My first post. Thank you for the forum.

I'm just a casual player and am looking to branch out a little bit with a low D whistle.

Looking for recommendations, please.

I would like to get something simple and sturdy to play at home--
--something that will survive my inquisitive and non-too-gentle small children.
Something that could survive, say, a child leaving it on a couch where it's later bounced upon by two 60+ pound house-apes.

Don't ask. Too soon.

Please could you recommend a single-piece, non-tuneable whistle that is of solid metal construction?
Aluminum? Brass?

So far I'm seeing Kerry Whistles' Chieftain V5 and the MK Kelpie.

Are there others I should also consider? What's my best best for simple durability? At this point that's really my main criterion. I'll look at other qualities for the next whistle....when my darlings are older and my home regains more tranquility.

Thanks very much for your time and attention.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Re: Recommend a sturdy Low D Whistle, please?

Post by Sedi »

You can't go wrong with both of those. I have both and they're great. The V5 has a slightly "sweeter" sound. The Kelpie a bit more punch and slightly "snappier" response because of the smaller holes. Both well worth the price.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Another one to consider might be Shearwater - I have one of their low F whistles.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by plunk111 »

I think you could use my Thunderbird as a police baton!
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Dreday
Tell us something.: I started playing recorders until I found Kerry whistles and fell in love with the tone, different sizes and low maintenance.1

Post by Dreday »

One piece thunderbird. I think Phil has one left in stock I just received an email about it today.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

plunk111 wrote:I think you could use my Thunderbird as a police baton!
True story: I was getting out of my car late at night to walk into a session, an Overton Low D in my hand, and I was mistaken for a ruffian with a piece of pipe.

For a bar fight aluminium whistles aren't much account, what you want is a "Chieftain Gold" solid brass Low D, quite a piece of hardware.

In any case it's hard to get more sturdy than the classic Overton design, made by Phil Hardy and Colin Goldie as well as Bernard Overton.

Many years ago a friend, in a fit of rage, threw his Overton Low D down a flight of concrete steps. The whistle wasn't damaged in the least.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

Becker PVC whistle? Sturdy, and cheap enough that if it does get hurt, it's not a huge loss?
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
Tyro McWindbag
Tell us something.: I am a very casual player of tin whistles. My first was a Clarke Original in (high) D.

I am registering to ask members' advice about Low D whistles sturdy enough to survive my two children's tender mercies.

Post by Tyro McWindbag »

Thank you, everyone!

I absolutely love my new Chieftain v5. So sweet, and the happiest I've been since I first starting trying flageolets.
I don't get the shrill ear-piercings that I self-inflict with the standard instrument.

PanCelticPiper, thanks! The 'Chieftain Gold' whistles are Phil Hardy's also? Tuneable only and sadly no longer in production?

If I can find a fixie in brass, I might have to get a second whistle already. :-)