Looking for yet another....

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
davidbruce
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am looking for a delrin flute, Rudall and Rose design, small holes. Hope someone from this site can help me.

Looking for yet another....

Post by davidbruce »

Like so many of us, I have different whistles for different purposes...some sweeter, some more aggressive, some quieter. Where I live I am not able to access multiple whistles to try out, hence, I rely largely on advice I get from this site. Thanks to all who have helped me in the past.

I am hoping to find a wood whistle that ticks all the boxes for me. That said, I know that there is always compromise.

Many of the whistles I have inquired about are made for session playing...that is, loud whistles that can hold their own surrounded by a lot of other instruments. I almost never play in sessions, and I do have whistles that are pretty loud already. I am hoping to find a whistle that mas a moderate volume.

The Cnat OXX OOO on some of my whistles is quite sharp. Often the variations on this fingering can result in an in tune note that sounds muffled.

I know Milligans are quite loud. Some have said the quiet mouthpiece model is still pretty loud. I have emailed with Chris Backhouse, Charlie Terrio (Whorfin), Spoken to Blayne Chastain, and read countless reviews.

As to price, the ones I have mentioned are all in the ballpark.

I appreciate any thoughts people have about whistles they have experience with.

Thanks.

BTW I really enjoy reading the posts on this site.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Looking for yet another....

Post by BigDavy »

Have you thought about David O'Brien. He is Canadian so you will have less hassle getting it delivered.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
jimhanks
Tell us something.: I play lots of instruments including several wind instruments like recorder and Native American flutes. I'm looking to expand my horizons and learn more about whistles, especially wooden ones.

Post by jimhanks »

I would suggested Whorfin. The C I have is moderate. The D not so much.

Maybe Pavel Mirra at harmonyflute.com. I have a Bb and Low E that are moderate.
davidbruce
Tell us something.: I am looking for a delrin flute, Rudall and Rose design, small holes. Hope someone from this site can help me.

Post by davidbruce »

Thanks for the replies. I will be in touch with the makers you suggest.

A question about Milligan whistles. I know this is a subjective issues, but how loud is the Milligan whistle with the quiet mouthpiece?
AngelicBeaver
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Post by AngelicBeaver »

My Milligan whistles are older models, but maybe this will help give you an idea of volume:

https://youtu.be/qeFFnYYgbRM
Nathaniel James Dowell